Question about 88 Cadillac engine. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 04, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have a 1988 Cad Eldorado with the better 4.5 engine. It has around 90,000 miles on it. It blew a head gasket a couple months ago so I havn't driven it. I'm waiting for my friend to work on it. He's ready to do the work now. He checked the oil while sitting on a slant with rear of car low and the stick showed about a quart over. That shouldn't be, I always kept oil at full line.

So now we are pretty sure antifreeze got into the crank area. So now he said to me that he don't think it's worth doing the heads because there is a 50-50 chance the bearings will be shot. I really like this car so I'm trying to fix it. I just don't want to fix h/gaskets and then lose the bottom end. I'd like to know what you guys think of this what do you think the chances are? What else can I check (w/out tearing motor down) to see if there is a/freeze in bottom end? Like I said I havn't driven it besides just starting it and backing out of my garage shutting it off ASAP. What would you guys do if you liked the car. I'm pretty sure I can't buy another one newer for the price of engine work. Thanks

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 04, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech

have you checked the coolant level in the radiator to see if it's low?
if it's been sitting a while, pull the drain plug to drain the oil and see if a bunch of coolant comes out first- the oil floats on top of coolant, so if there's coolant in there, it will come out first.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 03:17 AM
Bill

Ram,
Make certain that your mechanic has all the bulletins in front of him on replacing the head gaskets on that engine. This is probably not one for the local do it yourselfer. They have a lot of problems with the head bolts stripping out in the block. GM makes a repair kit with all new bolts and helicoils. Most of my shop customers automatically put in the kit every time they have the heads off one of those engines. Your machine shop should be an AERA member and can print out the bulletins for you.
As far as the coolant getting in the oil goes, its probably a 50-50 chance that it hurt anything. There are thousands of head gaskets changed on many different engines without doing bearings. It just depends on how long it was driven with the coolant in the oil.
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, guys

I checked the oil today and it's not white at all and the oil looks brand new. I had changed it about a month before this happened. Also checked inside v/cover it looked clean and I ran my finger over one of the rockers and only oil came off it but it hasn't been started for about 2-3 weeks. I'll check that stuff out and let you know. Thanks for the headsup on the bolt kit too.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode