Aluminum valve covers. Vent or seal? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I have a 350 with a mild cam, holley 750. I recently purchased a set of Moroso aluminum rail valve covers without holes. Do I need to vent both sides? I'm a gear head in training so don't know the answer. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've been searching for no-hole alluminum valve covers, what moroso part # are they?

As far as venting, don't get me going...lol. I'm gonna find some way to plumb all thing so oil never ever drips on my engine...Yes, you need at least one vent. Alluminum valve covers typically have no or bad baffles, so the vent leaks oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 11:46 AM

Very true about aluminum covers with crapy baffles, I ditched my edelbrocks cuz the baffles are worthless. I would like to add to DREIDs question. Would it be ok to just have a pcv on one side and plug the other cover(if theres a hole)? I would think that would create better vacuum in the crankcase and help ring seal, I never understood the need for a baffle on the opposite side of the pcv.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 12:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

awww.... now you're gonna get me going.

As I'm TOTALLY sick of oily mess coming out my breathers, here's what I'ma gonna do. First, I'm gonna cut the hole in the front of my intake manifold and put a chrome oil fill tube in it. The tube has a threaded bung in it which will go to the PCV, and I'll use a sealed cap on it.

On the valve covers, I'll use no-hole alluminums, and drill through the side between the rear 2 intake valves. I'll tap the hole for a threaded tube fitting, and run hose into the bottom of the air cleaner. Inside the valve covers, I'll epoxy in some homemade baffles to keep any oil from getting near the hoses. Think I'll seal the holes in my old m/t covers and test on them.

I'm absolutely determined to keep this mess in the engine where it belongs!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

oh, and you can't just have a pcv. For one, when it's sucking, the air needs someplace to come in from. For 2, under low vacuam (WOT!) it ain't sucking (much), and the fumes may need someplace else to go.

You could have just 1 breather vented to atmosphere, but that might get messy agian.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the info. I'll try one breather as I've already drilled one. See how that works. Easier to drill than fill.
JIMM I got them from summit
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...8326+&x=18&y=9
For 335 you'd think they would have drill holes for me right?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I have a buddy who drilled both cover holes on the back side and connected them together with a pipe and one breather/filter. That is on a bb tempest though and I don't think any camaro could fit that. Just a thought though.
Seriously though, my breather/filter is going to make a mess?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
dan

Cut the toe end off a cotton sock. Roll it up so it looks like a donut. They fit real nice underneath the breathers and absorb any oil that may drip from the breather. Been doing it for years. You can even find one close to the color of your car!
OILBEGONE
These were a pair of my wifes blue pair.
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/68camaro/camaroFR04-5.jpg

68 RS
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Good idea - wow our engine bays look similar. I have the polished front runner, too. Very nice!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 05, 03:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Was looking through Moroso's website today, they have some that bolt through the valve cover, says NHRA rated for under 7.99.... I bet those don't leak, wonder what they cost?

Really tho, the best answer on a street car will be a closed vent system, with a pcv in one side, and a breather hose into the air cleaner on the other. Trick is to use use something that's properly designed to keep the oil in the engine.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 05, 07:58 AM

Moroso has 3 "positive locking" brathers that are threaded from the underside of the valve cover. The Moroso part numbers are: 68785, 68786, and 68788. The first two are zinc plated ($50/ea) and the third is billet ($100/ea). Two of the parts have provision for hose/pcv, but no metered valve. As for the closed vs. open discussion: When you vizualize the amount of pressure in the crankcase (remember pistons go up and down. There is pressure being created on the back sides of each piston when it goes down). Add to that any blow-by at high speed and you have a lot of air/vapor with nowhere to go. One breather is fine, but be prepared to have a big mess to clean up especially if you like high-speeeds. A closed pcv system pulls fresh air into the crankcase from inside the air cleaner (before the carb) and draws dirty air through a pcv valve directly into the manifold. An open system would work the same way except pull fresh air through a regular breather on the other side of the engine. Hope this helps.

J. Garcia
1967 Camaro RS, ***Under Construction***

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 05, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

If you look at the last picture on this page:
Last picture on this page
you will see how I vented my aluminum valve covers.

I bought my valve covers from ebay and they came with baffles and had holes in each one. The oil fill on the left side has a cap with a tube on it. I took some 5/8" heater hose and attached to it. Then I drilled a hole in the botom of the air breather and picked up a rubber 90* grommet from the "Help" section at the parts store. If this draws air from this side it will be filtered by the air filter.

The right side has a standard PCV valve and is attached to the big vacuum port on the bottom of my Edelbrock carburetor.

The holes in the valve covers are the same size so be sure to get the rubber grommmets that are the proper size for what you are attaching to it. The PCV grommet has a smaller hole than the oil fill cap.

I do not get any oil film or drips anywhere!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 05, 01:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Supv , this should work but looks backwards from stock... crank vent could go from air cleaner to cover on right side and pvc pick up on left, of course I am comparing with a Holley carb the have the large vac feed on rear of carb too. Just my 2 cents

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 05, 03:58 PM

Supv': Good "closed system." Nice not to have to clean up oil all the time. Zdld' you could run from the other side and it will work the same way. An open system would have a regular breather in place of the one on supv's left vlave cover (no hose).

J. Garcia
1967 Camaro RS, ***Under Construction***

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 05, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

In my shopping recently, I've seen a number of alluminum covers claiming to have "factory style baffles and oil drippers" Anyone have experience with such things? Are we talking something better than those peices of tim they give you to screw on under the holes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode