Floorboard too HOT to touch! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I ripped all my interior out to install all new, and I am working on dynomatting the whole inside. I thought I would run the car for 15 minutes since I parked it for 2 weeks and have had the interior light on and off frequently. After about 15 minutes I noticed the floorpan near the gas pedal and on the passenger side same area getting so hot that I could not even keep my hand on it for 2 seconds! Looking underneith this is exactly where the collectors are from the Hedmann Headers below.
What can I do to correct this? Exhaust Shield of some sort maybe? Thermal Coat the inside of the headers/collectors to reduce heat? Anyone else have this problem?
Obviously I am touching Fatmat which in turn touches the floorboard directly and I am sure with the Jute padding and Carpet on top of this all that it won't be as hot as touching it directly but there is alot of heat entering this car thru these floorboards that I'd like to prevent if possible. Also I was parked in the garage so I am sure they don't get as hot while cruising on the road with a flow of air.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 07:42 PM

Angry

A sheetmetal shield should do the trick if there is enough space to install it . Space it away from the collector so as to not allow the heat to telegraph to the shield . Good luck man.

Dave Moody
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd imagine any similar car with headers would do the same thing under those conditions.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I had a set of Hooker Comps on mine once and took them off after 20 minutes of run time because of the same reasons. The #8 tube was just too close to the floorboard.

A heat shield will go a long way. The foil-fiberglass sandwich type work well. If you have any exhaust header wrap you can use a sheet metal shield wrapped with the header wrap. Keep as much of an air-gap to the firewall as possible. If the headers do not have an external ceramic coating I would highly recommend getting it done.

If you have electric fans on the car have them running while the enging is on to keep the airflow moving. Also, if the hood is off the headers are not getting full airflow and more heat will transfer to the firewall and surrounding areas.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

Just an observation.....
If you were running the car in the garage for 15 minutes...I'm surprized you can still breathe, let alone type!!!

Before you go to all the trouble of adding heat sheilds, removing/replacing stuff, take the car out for a 15 min spin and see if it really is an issue. Even stock cars will heat the floors a little. If it is excessive, then check for clearance. The header/collector should not actually touch the floor. And I'd try the wrap first. Just a thought.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 01:38 PM

Talking

Along the same lines but to change the subject.

My Mom bought the only new Ford she ever got which was an early '80's, 4/D Maverick. The converter caught on fire while still under warrantee and the Dealer didn't do anything about it except give her a new set of cheap floor mats to hide the burnt rear carpet!

Needless to say, that's why she NEVER bought another Ford!!

He, He!!!! pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode