Need opinion on what book to buy! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I did a search on rebuilding books and came up with 2 of them. Which one would be the best?

"HP Books: How to Rebuild your Small-Block Chevy"525-1-557-880298
HP Books: How to Rebuild your Small-Block Chevy
Outlines how to remove, strip, recondition, rebuild and replace your small block engine--all in step-by-step clarity. Covers all years and models: 262, 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350 and 400 cid engines.

or

"SA Design: How To Build the Small Block Chevrolet" 840-26-1
SA Design: How To Build the Small Block Chevrolet
Step-by-step on how to build a street or racing small block Chevy in your own garage. Includes disassembly, parts inspection, required tools, how to avoid costly mistakes, plus hundreds of performance tips.

Both of these are in Jegs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 01:00 AM

If you are refering to the book by David Visard is is a great book. It's the one I used and it is nice to have it around as a referance book.

The only thing I wondered about is that it was written a while back and it might not be as up to date with new techniques, but it worked fine for me.

Dan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 02:31 AM

Supv26 - email me your address. I've got one of the books you listed - how to build a sb chevy. Good book and really all you should need. I really don't need it any more.

[email protected]

Randy

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Vizard's book is all you need. Very good material. Mine is almost worn out [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

67RSM3 you've got mail!!!
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 11:59 AM

Will put it in mail tomorrow. You should have it by Fri or Sat. Don't have it with me at work today.

Randy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech

If you're just getting into engine building, I'd recomment a book called "John Lingenfelter on Small Block Chevy's". IMO John has a very practical perspective on building a street performance motor that many of the others tend to overlook.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 04:54 AM

Dan, got your email. Book is in the mail. Don't know about the engine in the weeds, but you could always take it apart and see what it looks like. Engine kits from Northern Auto Parts aren't that expensive and you could probably get a local machine shop to check out the basic block and heads (clean, magnaflux, etc) for about $100. Then comes the boring, honing, etc. Assembling is pretty easy. This book helped me alot after I got a short block and a set of heads from a local engine builder.

Randy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

67RSM3
Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!! I will let you know when I get it. I am looking forward to this project. I have always wanted to build my own but just never got to do it. This will be fun. I know I will be here a lot with questions for everyone so get ready!!
[img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 12:52 PM

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 05:41 PM

Visard's book is the best. Just recently ordered a new to fill in for my old ragged out copy.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 03, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

67RSM3,
The book came in the mail today!!! This book is fantastic and sure will help. I am going to do my homework before I start this project and not rush through it. I really appreciate this and I will return the favor, just let me know!
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 05:34 AM

Vizards book has my vote as well. I worked in speed shops as when I started out in engines and there is no end to money you can throw at a mill. Vizard is a cost effective engine planner. The great news is small block Chevy's are a snap to hot rod and as witnessed by this forum, there is no end to the help out there. Vizard is also very correct in pointing the importance of the exhuast set up to the final product.

74 Camaro street strip, father son project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode