Team Camaro Tech banner

What year has the most HP?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  68ragtop 
#1 ·
I want to save up some money to buy a 350 block. I want to know what Car/Truck came stock with a 350 with some serious HP. I know corvetts have them but what other vehicles have one. Might be able to get one at a good price at the junk yard. But what car/truck do I look for?

#2 ·
Alfonso,
I would look for a 3970010 4-bolt block. They came in trucks and some cars. I would also look for the (010 & 020)under the timing chain cover. These numbers are also back by the rear freeze plugs - bellhousing area. The 010 & 020 stand for the % of nickel and lead content in the iron. If you find a block with the casting number of 3970010, both 010 and 020 cast into block and isn't cracked, buy it.

#3 ·
Everyone has already thought of what you want to do. Performance engines of all makes are hard to find in junk yards these days.

I agree with ryork and would focus on a truck motor. In addition to 4 bolt mains, trucks from the 70s generally had forged steel cranks as well. There two pieces would make a very good start for an awesome street engine.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 3/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

#4 ·
exactly, go for the older truck engines. besides, your rebuilding it anyway so it doesnt matter if it was a high output engine to begin with. compression, cam profile, and volumetric efficiency is where the power comes from. build an engine with good compression, good valve train, and good induction and you will smoke factory engines at the dyno.

#6 ·
I agree completely with what's said but make sure you get a good block with the 010/020 numbers on it. They have extra metal cast into em, plus a seasoned block without cracks can be stronger than a brand new one, since the brand new one has to go through the heat up cool downs which can cause stress and make em crack on a performance build. Let me stress good valve train once more...that's where the power is along with intake and headers of course.

#7 ·
If you want to make this car a rocket with a small block, find a wrecked 98-01 Z28 or Firebird and yank the entire drivetrain out (motor, trans, rear, wiring harness, & computer) and install it. The stock output for one of these is up to 320HP and I think 330lb-ft torque. I have a '89 that has a tired 305 that I am in the process of overhauling. I picked up a totalled '99 Trans Am for $3400. It had 22,000 miles on it and I heard it run. It Sounded gnarly too since the exhaust pipe was broken right behind the CAT. It has the LS1 with T-56 six-speed tranny. I was able to sit in the car and put it in gear, drive it in reverse, and pull it up on a roll-back back-wards (front end damaged too bad to drive forward), but I figure I'll part the car out once I get what I need from it and make most of my investment back on this. Hope this helps.

------------------
'89 Camaro LS1-T56
'98 Viper GTS-R ACR

#10 ·
I'm talking small blocks here... all SBC have same external dimensions. Ie... flywheel same, motormounts same, etc... in 86 GM began different angle/bolt pattern on the intake/heads. Then we also know the LT1's are reverse cool. Don't forget the valve covers hold down changed from 4 bolts to the center hold-down arrangement too.
But still,,, all would fit into your 79.(even the new crate motors are same as others.)

#11 ·
1979 and earlier are all the same as a bolt up point of view
1980 - 1985 the blocks and heads became lighter(weaker and less desireable), some heads had 7 bolts on the exhaust side, it was common from gm to have a 6 bolt and a 7 bolt head (usually drivers side) on the same engine.

1986 gm went to a one piece rear seal design to do this, GM had to relocate the small counterweight on the rear of the crank to the flywheel, to keep folks from bolting the wrong flywheel onto their engine, the narrowed the bolt pattern of the crank. the 1986 engine used the same heads as the earlier engines the block was also recast, and was made even lighter

in 1987 GM went to the centerbolt valve cover style and changed the angle of the center four intake bolts. (unless they are the aluminum GM heads, they use the standard (old style intake setup)

Confusing huh???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.