No oil pressure at idle - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 04, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

My freshly built 406 does not register oil pressure at idle, only when I rev to about 1000rpm then the reading start to move. Should'nt it be reading about 10 - 15 psi at about 800 rpm idle?
I have a Moroso high volume oil pump #22110, Autometer Pro Comp Ultra Lite mech oil pressure guage with copper line.
Am also hearing a light dull humming sound coming from around the Unilite distributor area. Am also running Com cam roller cam & rockers and hydroboost . Thank you, Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 05:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Do NOT keep running the engine until you figure this out. I'd look for a kinked copper line and/or swap to a different gauge just to verify there's really no oil pressure. If that checks out you're probably going to be tearing into the engine to see if a galley plug is missing, oil pump pickup tube is too close to the oil pan, etc.

Verify the low pressure first by swapping/borrowing another gauge and line.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
dan

Very true, I wouldnt run it anymore untill its figured out. Just seen this happen American Hot Rod TV Show. They ended up terring the motor down and still couldnt figure it out untill they finally noticed the oil pump pickup was up against the oil pan. If you are hearing a noise around your distributor I would aslo check to be sure the oil pump shaft is engaged with the dist. I have seen some that barely reached.

68 RS

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, I'll check the oil line to the gauge and also try another gauge. And if that does'nt do it then I'll drop the pan and check the pickup. BTW, I'm using a Milodon pick up with the square screen welded to the Moroso pump. I don't remember checking the pickup clearance to the pan, should 1/4" be enough? Thank you, Frank.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Yes, 1/4" - 3/8" is fine. Be sure to check your oil pump drive shaft as mentioned above I would try that before dropping the pan. Did you use the stock drive shaft?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

I don't know about big block motors, but on SBC motors there are plugs in the oil galleys behind the cam gear. Also, in the rear main is a port that must be plugged near the oil pump. If you forget to install these plugs in a SBC, you'll get the same problem.

If others confirm similar issues with BBC motors, then pull the motor and ensure all is correct. The cam won't be able to tolerate inadequate lube for very long.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
dan

One other thing. Did you prime this motor before starting it?

68 RS
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 04, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

Yes I did prime the motor before starting.Also have screw in plugs in all galley openings and also in the lifter valley oil drain holes. I also plug the oil hole under the rear main cap.
When I first started the engine there was a loud whinning sound but it was from the hydroboost and the power steering pump. After I purged the air out it went way.
I think my oil pump shaft is eighter a Moroso or ARP but not stock.
I checked the oil line and it is OK. I'll hook up another oil gauge tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks again guys, Frank.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech

Deleting useless advice after rereading the OP. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Quote:
I also plug the oil hole under the rear main cap.
If you remove the rear main brg cap, there are two holes, one for the pump shaft, the other is supply to the oil system via oil filter.

I'd remove this plug as the block this is a setup for an external oil system, since there is no oil pump. The engine is being oiled through the crank bearings and not through the galleys first.

1/4 -3/8 inches of pickup-to-pan clearance is good. Do not have plugs in the lifter valley at the ends, this will allow drainback, unless the plugs are there to allow the valley to fill with oil and then it drains back over the lifter rollers and into the crankcase. Not quite the route to take as splashing oil uses horsepower, but good to lube the cam & lifters.

Loosen the gauge's tube connection to allow it to bleed off the air in the tube, then tighten.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 09:56 AM
Bill

Everett ...

"I'd remove this plug as the block this is a setup for an external oil system, since there is no oil pump. The engine is being oiled through the crank bearings and not through the galleys first."

This is a Small Block, not a Rat ...The plug that he is talking about on a small block has to be installed or the oil will NOT go through the filter. It will not affect oil pressure, but will result in unfiltered oil going through the engine.

Kiko ... how much oil pressure did you have when you preoiled the engine ??

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
dan

BillK, Did you know Randy Mobley? He helped me out with my engine build and I have some reciepts from my engine assembly, Imagine this...."Advanced Automotive" in Waldorf. Is this you? I have no complaints but do have some questions about what Compression this motor ended up being. Built 2 years ago....lol. Maybe something will ring a bell. Can I e-mail you?

68 RS
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 01:19 PM
Bill

Dan,
I do remember Randy. I should have anything that we di in the computer at the shop. I will look on Monday. You can e-mail me anytime. Or give me a call if you like.
Bill

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 04, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Thanks BillK for the education. I erred.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 04, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

BillK
Sorry not to reply soon I didn't have time to touch the computer yesterday. I was busy installing my headliner. ( BTW it came out nice).
I don't remember the oil pressure when I was priming the engine, but I made sure that the oil was coming out of the rockers for about 5 to 10 min.
Funny, when I first start the engine the pressure is about 40 to 60 PSI. Then when it gets hot it goes down close to about 5 PSI.
Also the humming sound that I was hearing was coming from the hydroboost. I called Paul of Hydroboost and he told me that theres air in the system and it will go away after a couple of hundred miles of driving. He also said that the noise is more prevalent with the mini power steering pumps ( w/c I have from DSE ).
I'll try bleeding out the oil line and use a diff. oil gauge and I'll let you guys know the outcome.
Mahalo again, Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode