What fan should I use? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm getting rid of the flex fan that's on my 67 camaro. I'm re-doing alot of things on my car and now I have to add this to the list because of what I read here about flex fans and because it's really old. So I'd like to know what GM bone yard cars or trucks would have the best clutch fan for my car w/ stock fan shroud and 70-1/2 HP 350 LT-1 w/ 375 hp cam and 11-1 high dome pistons. Should I get a 7 blade and how good is a used clutch? Thanks

[ 08-15-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: RamJam ]

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sounds like you are running the long water pump setup from the later cars. If so, I recomend the factory 7 blade with an aftermarket thermal clutch. I bought my Hayden fan clutch from Pep Boys for about $35 or less. The "772" type fan was very common on A/C Chevys so look hard at boneyards or you see them frequently on Epay but there goes the $$$. They all say "69 Z/28 fan" but they could have come off a Caprice Estate station wagon You will probably need a 69 Camaro style shroud to get it all to line up right. It should be very close as the core suport is the same for 67-69. Hope this helps.

-Mark.

[ 08-16-2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: stingr69 ]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I'm using a Flex-a Lite thermostatic 5555 clutch and a 5718 6 blade fan. Works great - around $70 total cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Stringr,

No, I don't have a long w/pump. I used the one off my old motor. That reminds me, if you had the fan off and could easily put a new w/pump on do you think it's a good idea to do it? Mine is the stock one from 1967. It seems to be a good idea but like the old saying goes don't fix it if it's not broke. If I replace it I'll just get a reman for $25 or possibly new for around $45 or maybe I'll get mine rebuilt.

Back to the fan, I've been reading forums and I've heard some good things about one flex fan. It's a Derale HD Flex fan. Here's a pic and description of it. I'm leaning towards the stock clutch fan but this one has caught my interest anybody here have an opinion about these? Thanks

BPOS, I'll look into that one more also.

* Heavy Duty Fan's Generate Maximum Airflow at Low RPM's.
* Decreased Resistance at Higher RPM.
* Improves Performance and Mileage.
* OEM Quality Heavy Duty Steel Hubs.
* Aerospace Grade Stainless Steel Blades.
* Reverse Rotation Fans For Late Model Serpentine Belt Applications.
* Chrome Plated Hubs with Polished Stainless Steel Blades.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

If you use a fan clutch, be sure you get a thermostatic one. The cheaper viscous drive clutches just slow the fan down a bit. A true thermostatic one (and some are better than others) will barely spin the fan at idle until the temperature goes up, then they kick in & run it at full speed. Thermo clutches have what looks like a clock spring on the front.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Do not replace the water pump. If it works, don't fix it. The replacement might not align the pulleys as well as the one you have. I have seen some that were rebuilt that have more than a small amount of misalignment when I was a counterman. Some folks won't notice the difference but if you like to spin some RPM's once in a while...Which leads to my next internet ranting monologue...

I do not like aftermarket fans, end of story. If you would have blown up as many as I have over the years, you would hate them too. [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]

One was on my dad's 69 Corvette. We tossed one of the blades on a cross country trip. Made it there OK and lucky for us, the blade was thrown down out of the engine compartment rather than up into the hood. That blade would have made a hole for sure if it would have went the other way. I have thrown belts into the underside of the hood on my vette and I can tell you, nothing makes your day better than seeing a quarter sized chunk of pretty red laquer flying off your show car paint job.

Flame off.

I like the stock 4 blade with a spacer or the factory fan with a good thermostatic clutch. They work. They don't cost too much. They don't blow up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

JimFulco,
I'm hearing conflicting opinions on thermo vs. non thermo. Not sure how to go. Anyone else have an opinion?

Stringr,
I'm glad you agree with me on w/pump. I wasn't expecting that... That's the stories I've been hearing about Flex fans, pretty scary.

So what are the best GM's to get the clutch fans from? Anything with A/C? Thanks guys

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 08:32 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I agree with stinger, flex fans have their limits. but my advice is if you are going to to with a clutch style fan, NEVER EVER (or is that never never!) use a used clutch. I'd spend as much money as it takes to get the best quality clutch you can afford. I has the clutch fail to disengage during a run up to 5800 rpm with my BB 70 SS Chevelle. When the fan came apart it went into the HD factory radiator. Thank God it wasn't the original functional cowl induction hood. That was the last clutch fan I ever ran, that was 1980. So I guess you see anything can fail. Just don't go too cheap on this piece of equipment, it can cost you big bucks if you do.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

SY1,
What are you using now?.. How about a Thermo from a reputable parts store, not Pepboys.

Any opinions on Thermo vs. Non thermo? Anyone, anyone?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 08:40 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Ramjam the last Camaro was a quarter mile only car and no fan was used. The one just before I picked up the drag car was a 68 RS I was just finishing a subrame off resto on when I was visited by a fellow that offered me more money than I could turn down, so that car never went down the road, broke it in with a flex fan however. Previous to those two cars I've stuck mainly with flex fans. I'm not suggesting this is the best route and my next one probably will have an electric fan in it. I've heard of more people having problems with flex fans than the OEM clutch fans. I just wanted to point out that you can hae serious problems with those as well.

But my 74 Z/28 came with a 7 blade flex fan I believe and it worked well for me. This is going back a lot of years and I'm sure by now there are better set ups out there, but it had some pretty big and deep blades. You might try to see if GM still lists this fan and if they stock it. If you go aftermarket flex, go with the highest rpm rated fan you can get. Maybe I've been lucky, but on the 302 cars I've run the engines have seen 8,000 plus and no problems. I seem to remember Hot Rod or one of the magazines doing an "ultimate Z/28" article many years ago. They took the best items off the various years to come up with what they thought would be the best Camaro. I believe the 74 Z/28 fan was selected in that list. Maybe somebody can jump in here if they have the article archived somewhere.

I'd do a search in this site archives also for Lincoln Mark VII fans. I know they were discussed with pics recently and some of the members here claim these fans pull more cfm than anything out there. That might be a nice fan to run.

By the way the 74 I had did have air conditioning if it makes a difference at the parts counter.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech

My 72 Nova came with a big fan & thermo clutch, & it only lasted for 160,000 miles or so before it became permanently engaged. Of course it never saw the far side of 6000 RPM either. You have a bit more RPM potential than I ever did (L-82 hyd.cam) though. It usually only kicked in if I was running the A/C, & it blew like hell then. I tried a viscous clutch & it ran the fan all the time. Wasted power IMO. I have one from NAPA on it now, but I haven't heard it engage yet because the A/C is dead.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was told today that non-thermo's are very loud, especially at idle. Does this sound right to you guys? I priced the thermo clutch today around $37 and fan is $42, made by Hadelman? (something like that)thermo is a little more. I think I'll spend the xtra money on a clutch and get the fan from a bone yard. I'm also still considering the f/fan I posted a pic of above it's suppose to be alot stronger than others. Thanks guys

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech

Non-thermo clutches run the fan at less than engine speed, but not necessarily much less. The one I tried was loud because the fan was blowing pretty hard all the time. With the thermo clutch, the fan turns slowly until it gets hot, then it gets loud when the clutch engages and the fan starts blowing hard.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim,
So from what you're saying the thermo is the way to go, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode