What is going on?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

What is going on??

On my epic quest hunting for the elusive coolant leak, I came across a small puddle of coolant in a pocket between the head and the intake. Please don't give me bad news.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	161674  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: What is going on??

GOOD NEWS:
You could attempt to torque the intake bolts and see if that seals it up. Start in the center and go in an x pattern working in a circle and work your way out to ends. Torque to 30 FT LBS, in increments starting at 10 FT LBS, 20 FT LBS and then 30 FT LBS. Let it sit for about 5 minutes if you get any rotation at any torque levels to allow gasket compression and go over the pattern 1 more time.

BAD NEWS:
Is the intake cracked where the plug was put in? I am going to say its most likely an intake gasket leak. They happen because of the expansion rates of cast iron vs aluminum are different and it can loose a seal over time. You need a very, very, very thin skin of silicone around the water ports on the head and intake sides of the gasket to prevent leaks.

I use ultra black, put a bead around the water jacket port. Spread it thin with your finger and do the same on the intake. I also use aviation which is a non drying gasket holding material around the intake ports on the head and manifold to seal those up.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
GOOD NEWS:
You could attempt to torque the intake bolts and see if that seals it up. Start in the center and go in an x pattern working in a circle and work your way out to ends. Torque to 30 FT LBS, in increments starting at 10 FT LBS, 20 FT LBS and then 30 FT LBS. Let it sit for about 5 minutes if you get any rotation at any torque levels to allow gasket compression and go over the pattern 1 more time.

BAD NEWS:
Is the intake cracked where the plug was put in? I am going to say its most likely an intake gasket leak. They happen because of the expansion rates of cast iron vs aluminum are different and it can loose a seal over time. You need a very, very, very thin skin of silicone around the water ports on the head and intake sides of the gasket to prevent leaks.

I use ultra black, put a bead around the water jacket port. Spread it thin with your finger and do the same on the intake. I also use aviation which is a non drying gasket holding material around the intake ports on the head and manifold to seal those up.
Whew, ok. Thanks Joe. This doesn't sound that bad. Now, I just have to find that coolant leak at the radiator.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 03:38 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Yes, could be as easy as coolant getting past the gasket and/or intake bolt threads.

Did you use any sealant on the bolt threads ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 04:30 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagik3 View Post
Whew, ok. Thanks Joe. This doesn't sound that bad. Now, I just have to find that coolant leak at the radiator.
Use this dye with a black light to pin point the leak source.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...ye/835773_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/36156585?...&wl13=&veh=sem

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Doesn't the second bolt go into the coolant area in head?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
I'm not entirely sure as I bought this crate motor pre-assembled. I'm learning as I go.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagik3 View Post
I'm not entirely sure as I bought this crate motor pre-assembled. I'm learning as I go.
I bet is does, as the coolant passage is in the middle of those bolts . The front bolt is a blind hole the next bolt is into the coolant. I have had many bolts rust off. Some one mentioned this, you could drain the radiator to about half or lower , then pull that bolt and apply rtv in the hole and bolt, put it back together. refill and test.
Worse thing that can happen is have to take the intake off and put a new set of gasket. Easy. Let see what the others say but I believe I am right.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

I've used this GM thread sealant when threading into water jacket with good results.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid.../dp/B000QIXFEE
As Don said drain the coolant level below the area you're trying to seal first.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
No. The end holes are blind. All the rest are open to the valley below. They should still be sealed to prevent oil from migrating up. Any coolant is seeping past the gasket, not migrating up the threads of the intake bolts.

Lynn
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 08:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Carl,
I know this is off topic, but from the photo you posted I see you have a rubber fuel line clamped to the fuel lines to your carb from the high pressure side of the pump. It wouldn't be good if this popped off or the line deteriorated causing a leak or spraying fuel on your hot manifolds/headers. For safety sake you might consider either braided lines with the proper AN fittings or a hard line from the pump like the OEM setup. Just hate for you to have a fire.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
No. The end holes are blind. All the rest are open to the valley below. They should still be sealed to prevent oil from migrating up. Any coolant is seeping past the gasket, not migrating up the threads of the intake bolts.
Yes end holes are blind, so you ar saying there is no threads open to coolant? If thats the case , then his gasket is gone and coolant is migrating up via bolt threads.

I recall having to helicoil the inner bolt hole next to coolant passage, due to corrosion in the thread.

Don
TC # 349

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Carl,
I know this is off topic, but from the photo you posted I see you have a rubber fuel line clamped to the fuel lines to your carb from the high pressure side of the pump. It wouldn't be good if this popped off or the line deteriorated causing a leak or spraying fuel on your hot manifolds/headers. For safety sake you might consider either braided lines with the proper AN fittings or a hard line from the pump like the OEM setup. Just hate for you to have a fire.
That's great advice. I'll look around for some braided fuel line this weekend.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 04:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Yes end holes are blind, so you ar saying there is no threads open to coolant? If thats the case , then his gasket is gone and coolant is migrating up via bolt threads.

I recall having to helicoil the inner bolt hole next to coolant passage, due to corrosion in the thread.
Coolant is migrating past the gasket. If (AND THAT IS A BIG IF) it is migrating by any threads, then it is migrating down. Enough, and it will get a small amount of coolant in the oil.

Also, if coolant migrated into threads on the intake side of the head, it had to migrate past the gasket, then down the threads. And yes, that can happen.

Look at this head. The two end holes are blind (i.e. you can poke a wire in there and it will bottom out). The other four are open to the valley. While you CAN end up with coolant on threads, it only happens if there is a gasket failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sbchead.intakeside.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	161770  
Joe Harrison and larryh56 like this.

Lynn
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Aviation on the bolt threads to the holes that open to the intake will seal them and not allow oil to migrate up the threads and under the bolt heads then onto the intake.

If you do not have one a rental torque wrench should be available at most auto parts stores.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, intake, leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode