timing first time - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I know it was here so many times but cant find what im looking for
I do have digital timing light how do i use it?Should i put 32* in advance and then set pointer to 0 on the damper.I know base timing shoud be 10* , but how do i do that?
engine is 350,e-brock heads and cam
Thaks like always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech

Disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the line if you have one. Loosen the clamp on the distributor just enough that it turns with a little bit of effort - too loose and it will move on its own. Have a buddy do the cranking for you. Hold the timing light in one hand (set on zero), and turn the distributor with the other. If you are too far advanced, the engine will turn hard. Too retarded and the engine will crank freely and act like it wants to fire but not run well. Set it at about 10 or 12 degrees and get it started. (You can also preset the light to 10 or 12 and adjust for 0 on the timing mark).

Once it is started hook your vacuum advance back up. Then turn the knob on your light until the timing mark drops back to the baseline setting (same mark as in the previous step). The reading on the light dial is the amount of vacuum advance. Should be about 10 degrees above baseline or 20 degrees advanced.

Then preset the light to about 32 degrees. Rev the engine to 2500 RPM or so and see if your timing mark is close to the baseline. Adjust the timing light to line the mark up on your baseline reading. The light now shows "all in" advance setting, provided 2500 RPM gets you all in.

Things to watch for is at what RPM does the mechanical advance start to kick in. It is a good idea to remove the vacuum advance line and plug it for this test. You don't want the machanical kicking in too close to idle or you're likely to have idle stability problems.

In general the engine will want as much timing you can give it as soon as possible without pinging. Sometimes pinging or detonation is hard to hear, especially with a noisey exhaust. The targets of 10* base, 20* vacuum and 36* total are rules of thumb that must be adjusted for each engine combination.

Use an adjustable vacuum advance can. There is a small allen screw inside the vacuum port that you use to preload the diaphram. This will control when the vacuum advance kicks in a drops out. You can also get stroke limiters for the vacuum advance if yours advances too much.

For mechanical advance, you'll need to fiddle with the springs and weights to tune it.

For the first few test drives listen for pinging. Check your plugs after a few hours of running time and look for tiny balls of melted metal on the electrodes and porcellin as a sign of detonation. Once you figure out what works for your motor, write it down.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I set it at 12 degrees and when i hooked up vacuum advance it started knocking.When i disconnect the vacuum advance it stop knocking.
What is goin on?
Dave thanks that is what i was looking for. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech

Figure out how much the vacuum advance is applying. One way is to use a hand vacuum pump and apply vacuum slowly until knock occurs. A few things you may have to try. Limit the advance with an advance limiter. Check out what Crane has to offer. Persuming an adjustable vacuum advance, tighten the preload on the diaphram a turn or two. Reduce the initial advance to more like 8*. Attach the advance to ported vacuum instead of manifold vacuum.

You really need to get a reading on how much the vacuum advance is kicking in and what your total advance is. That way you will know how much of an adjustment you are making as you try different things.

What compression ratio / fuel octane are you using?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I set it at 10*. Vacuum advance is 22*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode