bb radiator in sb car - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 02, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am getting to the point on my 69 RS/SS that I need to put a radiator in it. I am looking at the 4 core from Ricks. I was wondering if I can put a 23" bb 4 core radiator if I buy the bb shroud. Right now the car has no raditor or shroud. Will there be that much difference in a 21" sb versus a 23" bb? Also will I have to buy the brackets and such for the bb if I do this? The car originlly came with a sb in it. Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 02, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Are you putting a big block in it?

Assuming you are putting in a small block...

The 23" radiator will fit with no modifications. The mounting holes are already in the radiator support. I believe GM still offers the small-block 23" radiator shroud. I think the part number is posted somewhere on this site but I may still be able to read the number from mine if you get in a pinch. You will need the correct upper radiator hose.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 10-11-2002).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 02, 02:44 PM
Team Member
John

The 23" radiator was never used with a small-block in '69, so there's no matching shroud; the 23" big-block radiator shroud has the fan opening shifted 1" to the right of centerline to match the engine, so it won't match up with a small-block water pump shaft for the fan. You may be able to rework a '67-'68 small-block 23" shroud to fit.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 02, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Whoops! Sorry, I did not know that the 23" was not available in '69.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 02, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech

For what's its worth, I had my radiator re-cored with a 4 row, high efficency core in standard small block length. It looks original, but greatly improved cooling. Runs cool all day long, stopped in traffic w/ AC on.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Classic Industries catalog has a 23-inch rad shroud listed for "67-69" as part number G7105. I thought there was someone on this site that had done this conversion and used that part. I was looking at doing the same thing this winter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

I put the 4-core in mine with a small block in my 68. The holes are all there, but it took me a little while of looking at it to figure out which ones to use. The resto shop I go to here in Houston got me the correct fan shroud. Because the radiator is deeper the shroud is narrower. Also, very important, you need to put the shroud in position before you put the radiator in. Trust me. You won't be able to get it in once the radiator is in place. I don't know what the part number was but they do a lot of this kind of stuff as they specialize in first gen's. The shop is called Camaro Concepts. The best person to talk with is a guy named Roy Chaney (owner). They have a website www.camaroconcepts.com Phone is 713.365.9000. Good luck. As another thought what about going the aluminum route? Seems like there are more and more options that way these days. Second Also, I went with a universal upper radiator hose while I was searching for a better one. It looked kind of funky with the ribs at first, but now I'm used to it. If anyone knows what hose fits and where to get it please let me know.

[This message has been edited by TheGreen68 (edited 10-14-2002).]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 02, 07:01 AM

To sumarize what everyone has been hinting at, yes, the shroud DOES exist.

I do not have the part number, but if you ask the right questions among the various resto shops, you will find it. I have a huge 4 CORE from US Radiatorin my 69, 406 SB. The radiator is meant to be a drop in replacement for a BB radiator, and yes, it fits perfectly where my SB radiator used to be. It simply uses the other set of holes in the radiator support. When looking for the shroud, tell them you want a BigBlock radiator shroud for small block aplications. I do not know if GM made the part, but with a little bit of looking, I found one and the fit is perfect. I'd tell you where I got mine, but that was 2 years ago and I cannot remember for the life of me where it was, but I found it at an online parts house.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
The Green Meanie http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-15-2002).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 05:03 PM

I have a '66 Buick S/W, 4 core, 21" rad in my car minus the side brackets. It worked very well with my hopped up 409, the 327 and 406! It is identical to my 2-core OEM rad. except for 4-core and no brackets!!

The only problem was that I had to jury-rig it in place and then the SB, 23" shroud I got didn't fit very well.

I think I will go universal Summit 23" aluminum when I get some money... So that my 496 will be OK.. Plus, drop some weight on my front-end. pdq67

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech

I was just digging through my paperwork. All the receipt says is Fan Shroud GM 23" $84.00. I was looking at the Classic Industries cataloge and remembered another thing. The fan shroud bracket needs to be extended by welding an additional piece on to the end to make it longer as well. I think it was about 1/2 inch or so. I second the "find a good resto shop" advice. I might have paid a little bit more for the shroud but they threw in the shroud bracket and even fabed it up for me at no charge. I generally find that they get me the "right" part at typically the same price, and if its not right they jack with sending it back. If they are a good shop they know what works and what doesn't cause they have seen it 50 times. Its a good bet Roy will know the part number off the top of his head. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode