Chrome oil pans..Are they worth it ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

At present I have a 4-bolt main block thats being held hostage in the machine shop. To kill time I'm starting to gather as many external parts for it as possible. My question is " How many of you guys have a chrome oil pan?" For those of you that do, what are your opinions of them. A friend of mines has recommended it and I need to know from you guys first if I should buy one or not.

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 02:07 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
I don't think the color or finish on the pan is as important as the way it's designed.

Unless you really want to make sure your're hair is looking stylish while you are changing the oil then you probably don't need a chrome oil pan.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 03:13 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally posted by Spames:
I don't think the color or finish on the pan is as important as the way it's designed.

Unless you really want to make sure your're hair is looking stylish while you are changing the oil then you probably don't need a chrome oil pan.
LMAO

I agree. They are prone to leaks. Get a good one now like a Moroso or Milodon if you can afford it.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Chrome rusts & leaks. Besides, are you supplying a mirror strapped to the underside of the car for others to see?

I agree with others, get a pan with a good oil control design, this makes more power than a chrome finish.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 05:52 AM
kip

i agree with the others above,
i received a chrome pan for free, it always leaked. i tried many times to seal it up with no luck. personally, i would never run one again.
at least the leaks kept it from rustin....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks!!! No chrome oil pan for me [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

They leak about 50% of the time. Roll the dice? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 09:02 AM

Leaker..........
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech

OK, I guess I'm in the "other" 50% bracket. I have a chrome oil pan and no leaks. It was on the car when I bought it. Just lucky I guess. But I don't see it as a benefit...its just an oil pan. However, my trans pan (B&M) is also chrome, so on the few occasions that the car is on the lift, it looks kinda cool. Now, if I get the chrome dust cover that goes in between...hmmmmmmmm, I'd need sunglasses just to change the oil!

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 11:03 AM

If your shopping for a pan, make sure you get one that will accept a windage tray
Dan.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 01:24 PM

I went the aluminum route on my Camaro. I installed a aluminum ribbed pan on engine and trans. One major problem the aftermarket subframe cross-member hit the pan, so I had to get a circle track low profile pan (this pan is way better and has built in windage tray and baffle doors. With the short time frame the other pan was on it got dirty fast and looked funky with crud. So I spent a lot of time reach under to keep it clean. my .02 cents
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
When I replaced the motor on my old 68 RS I went with a chrome oil pan. Biggest waste of money IMO. While it never leaked, it was hard to keep clean and no one ever saw it but me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I am sure by now you see most people do not think they are worth the trouble. I think if you have a custom show only car (mirrors under it etc...) then it maybe the way to go.
I have a ton of polished aluminum and stainless on my car (a little chrome too) and I wouldn't even consider using a chrome oil pan. This is one area where function far out weighs form (looks). Get the best pan for your application. I am willing to bet it won't be chrome. Plus you really can't see the oil pan to begin with and how would you keep it clean and shiny.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Royce,
Some of us "Chevy guys" are also "Harley guys"(maybe because, subliminally, the silhouette of the 'bar and sheild' looks a little like the 'bowtie'?) and some of us chrome the beejeesus out of everything!. Now, I admit that my Camaro already had the chrome oil pan, and the tranny came with the chrome pan too. And if any of these things leaked, I'd replace them in a heartbeat! But, its kinda fun when a friend looks under the car and goes..."whoa...."
And , yeah, I have a chrome oil FILTER on my Road King!

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

LOL, Steve I hear ya. I have a chrome oil filter on my Harley as well along with anything else chrome I can find. Nothing wrong with having a chrome oil pan if it was already on the car and doesn't leak, I wouldn't change it either. I agree with the Harley/Chevy thing as well, but why does FORD have the Harley Truck? It's a shame. I'll keep the Harley but I be D*mned if I will buy a Ford (I don't care how nice they are).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode