2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage
Timing

I have a 327/275 with a mild cam (I didn't build the engine so I'm not sure what cam) and a 600 cam carb. What should the timing be set to.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Re: Timing

I would start out setting it at 12* BTDC. If you have any problem with the idle being too low increase it to about 16* BTDC. Don't forget if you set the initial timing at 12* you will need to set the mechanical advance to 24* inside the distributor. At 16* it will need to be set at 20*.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodriver67 View Post
I would start out setting it at 12* BTDC. If you have any problem with the idle being too low increase it to about 16* BTDC. Don't forget if you set the initial timing at 12* you will need to set the mechanical advance to 24* inside the distributor. At 16* it will need to be set at 20*.
How exactly do you set the advance in the Distributor? Sorry for the Nub question

1968 Firebird - Gen IV 496 Stroker - TH400 - Caltrax rear suspension system w/slider boxes - Corporate Posi Rear with New Axel's - Long Tube Headers, Pypes Race Pro Dual Exhaust and Lotsa other Goodies =)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
How exactly do you set the advance in the Distributor? Sorry for the Nub question
There are tons and tons of articles not only on this site but many many others. Even the manufacturers of the distributors have tech sections. It takes time to search but once you have a site or page that has the info you need then you can save it as a favorite and have the info at your fingertips.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
There are tons and tons of articles not only on this site but many many others. Even the manufacturers of the distributors have tech sections. It takes time to search but once you have a site or page that has the info you need then you can save it as a favorite and have the info at your fingertips.
I am very aware - Sorry I asked, Did not mean to offend. Just asked without thinking.

1968 Firebird - Gen IV 496 Stroker - TH400 - Caltrax rear suspension system w/slider boxes - Corporate Posi Rear with New Axel's - Long Tube Headers, Pypes Race Pro Dual Exhaust and Lotsa other Goodies =)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Will

Bob: Like you I too have a 275 /327 topped with an Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 CFM carb in front of a Powerglide. My ignition is a Pertronix 2 that came with 3 different sets of springs and limiters. The Pertronix was installed last month and replaced a worn out Mallory that was wobbling around so bad I could not get an accurate all in timing number. Out of the box the Pertronix had 30 degrees all in at 3800. My base timing was set at a factory 8 which gave me 38 all in at 3800. As I have a cruiser with 2:73 gears my engine rarely sees anything above 3,000 unless I get a little froggy.

I installed a light tension spring opposite a medium tension spring which lowered the total mechanical advance down to 3200 still giving me 38 degrees all in now at 3200 and mashing the loud pedal gave me some pinging around 3000. I went to the next richer Edelbrock needles which resolved the pinging and gave me pleasant acceleration without any pinging or detonation.

Then I bumped base timing up to 10 hunting for the perfect combination but got the pinging back until I reduced base timing to 8 right back to where I started. I have since left it there and am getting very satisfactory performance ( as good as it gets with 2:73 rear gears) and recently averaged 18.5 mpg on a 500 mile trip. Best I could get with the Mallory wobbler was 16.

Obviously you may have different gears than I and you may have a 4 speed which throws everything I did out the window. I'm just sharing my adventure here so that you know what options are available to you and how far is too far. Forgot to mention I am also utilizing vacuum advance which does not come into play under powered acceleration but at cruising can give you another 12-16 degrees of advance.
Best wishes for a successful tune. WILL
Arkangel77 likes this.

Detective Lt. Will, Chief of Homicide/ Chief Deputy Coroner: RETIRED AFTER 32 years.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro RS /327 -275 hp
Powerglide to 2:73 rear gears
Black vinyl over Ermine White
30,000 documented mile survivor
Second owner. P.O.P car.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Quote:
This is a MSD 8360 ready to run distributor. This means it does not require an Ignition Box. It is one of the easiest distributors to set up an advance curve for. It comes with the advance stops and advance springs. Here are the instructions for the distributor. https://static.summitracing.com/glob...s/msd-8360.pdf See pages 2-4 for selecting an advance curve. If you know what you want to set your initial timing at then you look at page 4 and choose an advance stop. It has a list of advance stops by the color and gives the approximate crankshaft degrees. You can take the initial timing degrees and find an advance stop that if you add them together it will equal the total timing of 36 degrees. Then looking at the charts of advance curves on page 3 you select a chart to use. If you use a purple advance stop set your curve up like Chart D and if you use a blue advance stop set your curve up like Chart E. The spring colors to use are listed at the bottom of each Chart. To me the GM HEI distributor is one of the hardest to set up an advance curve for. Look at 15.4.1 in this article contents. Click this link http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ance_mechanism
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

Thanks Doug - I have bin doing a little reading today. I have a Factory HEI on there now, (Never got around to upgrading it). However, I bin looking into replacements lately. Not sure what ima do yet, looking into some street strip units - like DUI or PerTronix or something of that nature. I would like to stay with an All in one unit like the HEI - but this is all OFF topic. My bad, Sorry and thanks again for the Links =)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
I am very aware - Sorry I asked, Did not mean to offend. Just asked without thinking.
I definitely did not get offended. I am glad others chimed in.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Cory, Looking at the two distributors you had listed I would definitely purchase one of these. Chevrolet Street/Strip DUI Distributor - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodriver67 View Post
Cory, Looking at the two distributors you had listed I would definitely purchase one of these. Chevrolet Street/Strip DUI Distributor - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors
YES - That is absolutely the one I am leaning towards =)!

Thank guys - I appreciate the input!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

Tanks for the input guys I appreciate it
Arkangel77 likes this.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 16, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Will

Hi Bob: Believe I read in one of your posts in this thread that you are running an HEI. As we both have 67s with 327s the mention of an HEI begs the question of how did you get it to fit? The issue of not enough room between engine and firewall has long been an issue with me and others who would love to run a GM design HEI but can't do it without surgery to the firewall which would involve pulling the engine and the guts under the dash to carve out enough room. Could you enlighten me if there is a way to do it not involving all of the above?

Not that I' not happy with my Pertronix but some of the GM based aftermarket HEIs come with tuning curve springs and stops. I have one I bought from Summit for my 65 Ranchero that I was able to play with the advance curve with the springs and stops that came with the unit until I was satisfied with the results.

Thanks. Will.

Detective Lt. Will, Chief of Homicide/ Chief Deputy Coroner: RETIRED AFTER 32 years.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro RS /327 -275 hp
Powerglide to 2:73 rear gears
Black vinyl over Ermine White
30,000 documented mile survivor
Second owner. P.O.P car.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 16, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

Sorry for the delay in responding, the engine was already in the car when I purchased it. There is very little room left between the firewall and the distributor but I haven't had any issues. over the weekend I will look to see if they modified anything and get back to you.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 16, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwallman View Post
Hi Bob: Believe I read in one of your posts in this thread that you are running an HEI. As we both have 67s with 327s the mention of an HEI begs the question of how did you get it to fit? The issue of not enough room between engine and firewall has long been an issue with me and others who would love to run a GM design HEI but can't do it without surgery to the firewall which would involve pulling the engine and the guts under the dash to carve out enough room. Could you enlighten me if there is a way to do it not involving all of the above?

Not that I' not happy with my Pertronix but some of the GM based aftermarket HEIs come with tuning curve springs and stops. I have one I bought from Summit for my 65 Ranchero that I was able to play with the advance curve with the springs and stops that came with the unit until I was satisfied with the results.

Thanks. Will.
Will...not to hijack the thread, but, it can be done. My "010" 350 block has the factory HEI installed. The cap just clears the firewall ~.125". The rubber boot of the rear plug wire touches the firewall. So far, it hasn't hurt anything. Takes some finagling installing it one piece at a time. Remove the cap and fish the base/shaft into the block making sure it's timed right. Then, set the cap on and secure 3 hold down anchors (can't access the 4th one). Install the wires last. Maybe I just got lucky...dunno!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode