monoleafs too multi & 10 bolt to 12posi - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Question

hi guys-
I just purchased my first camaro this week, its definitely "good Friday". My question stands simple and probably was asked many of times. (so I apologize)
its a plain Jane 69', with a 4 spd 350 (#;s matching). It has a 10 bolt and monoleaf springs... I don't want wheel hop, and I want a 12 bolt posi. Any suggetions to where I begin???I would like to do the multileafs 1st but not sure if this will change everything or anything.... I am new at this with my father, and we want to do it right! so any info would help.
Also does anybody have idea aboout how much this might cost me?? estimate will be fine!

Thanks to all
Fathom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 03:42 AM
Guess

Hi Fathom,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Camaros!

If you can post the assembly stamping letters/numbers from the front edge of the passenger side axle tube, you'll know which rearend is in it. It may be a posi unit already and there's really nothing wrong with a 10-bolt. The assembly stamping is very small and should be 2 letters, then 4 numbers and a letter/number combination. Like this: PB 0316G1
You can successfully swap the monoleafs for multileaf springs. That'll definitely help with wheel hop and save you some money. $200 for the entire swap. And you need to look close at the age and condition of all of the suspension bushings.... if you replace the springs you'll also need a hardware kit and new bushings front and back. And don't forget good gas shocks. That'll help prevent any wheel hop you may get.

Good luck and let us know! There is NO shortage of very expert help here on the Tech Forum. I am by far not one of those experts.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
'97 Blazer - Bad wheel hop!
'69 wallet crusher
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
John

I agree that the multileafs are a good coice to reduce wheel hop. If you want stock height you can go to Rick's or Year one and get a set of springs for $150 or so, then add bushings and shackles for another $60 or so. KYB shocks are cheap and will run about $60 a pair. When converting to multileaf, the perches on the axle tube will be a bit short (since the mono leaf was thinner than a stack of leafs). I personally switched perches (required plasma cutter and welding), but I have heard of people running the mono perches with no problems.

If you want to get wild with it while you are taking apart the suspension, you can get some higher rate dropped leaves from places like Hotchkiss, but the price goes up. They also come with poly bushings.

As far as the 12 bolt, you can buy a new one from Moser at www.moserengineering if you want, or you can get one rebuilt. The 10 bolt isn't too bad however and will save some weight if you keep it. They can handle some decent horses.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:16 AM
Guess

Hey Boodle,

If by some chance I decide to change the mono brackets to multi's when I put multi leafs back on my 10-bolt, what, if any changes occur to the axle tube when the plasma cutter zaps the old brackets off? I know plasma cutting is nice and clean.... I've seen what it can do. I was just wondering what to expect after having the tubes cut on then new brackets welded back in the same place.
Of course, a competently experienced mechanic will have to do the work.

Thanks!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Here is something to think about. The '71 and later Nova has the 8.5 10 bolt, which is stronger than the 8.2 that you have. It also has multi leaf springs, You can swap the rear end with the springs into your Camaro and have the multi leafs and a stronger rear end with little effort. All you should have to do is replace the u-joint with one that will match your drive shaft on one side and tne newer yoke on the rear end on the other side. There is also a bigger selection of after market parts for the 8.5 and they are much easier to find and cheaper than the 12 bolt.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
John

well, when I hacked off the old perches I cut them far enough away from the tube to risk cutting into it. I then whittled down the nubs of the old perches that were left with a grinder. Lined up the new perches exactly where the old ones were and welded them on. Make sure you use a good heavy duty welder to put them on, not some body panel welder or you might just have your perches let go while driving. It took about two hours to get it done.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 07:21 AM
Guess

Aaaaahhhh.... that makes sense. Leave a little metal to grind down after cutting.

I'm gonna look around for an 8.5", but ain't holdin' my breath.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode