Fuel line to carb - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 16, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Fuel line to carb

How are you guys running your fuel lines to your carb? I have rubber fuel line coming from the fuel rail, to the mechanical pump, to the carb, but I just learned that it's a little dangerous and I should use hard line. Can you post your setups so I can get an idea of what I need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 16, 07:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Fuel line to carb

Mine is hard line from pump outlet to a brass junction block at the carb where it branches to the two carb inlets. A steel braided line from the pump outlet to your fuel rail with proper AN or equivalent connectors would also be a good solution and probably easier to install and route than bending tubing to fit. My hard line runs between the block and the back of the water pump and you could route a braided line that way too.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 16, 07:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

In tank pump with braided stainless and AN fittings to canister filter to regulator with return to the tank. Not ideal but works for now. Probably re-plumb when I plop on the FI. Previous Braided Stainless (pre ethanol) failed after sitting. The new stuff is SUPPOSEDLY better.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 16, 08:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

If you have a stock setup just order a line from Right Stuff. That's what I did and it fit great. Right Stuff had great customer service so they may be able to help if your setup is not stock also. This is a link to the line I purchased. FPC6705

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagik3 View Post
How are you guys running your fuel lines to your carb? I have rubber fuel line coming from the fuel rail, to the mechanical pump, to the carb, but I just learned that it's a little dangerous and I should use hard line. Can you post your setups so I can get an idea of what I need to do?
I think I remember seeing the pic of yours that someone commented on. If it's what I remember, as long as the rubber is in good condition, I wouldn't sweat it. They were being overly dramatic. The "high pressure" side is what, 6 or 7 lbs? That's why they sell rubber fuel lines. A good percentage of guys run a rubber line to a dual feed line. That's the way they're designed.
Post a pic of the way yours is set up now so we can see what you're dealing with. This one is mine:

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
I think I remember seeing the pic of yours that someone commented on. If it's what I remember, as long as the rubber is in good condition, I wouldn't sweat it. They were being overly dramatic. The "high pressure" side is what, 6 or 7 lbs? That's why they sell rubber fuel lines. A good percentage of guys run a rubber line to a dual feed line. That's the way they're designed.
Post a pic of the way yours is set up now so we can see what you're dealing with. This one is mine:
They're designed that way in the aftermarket world, originally they were hard plumbed. Years ago a friend's Cuda burned up when a rubber plumbed, garbage glass fuel filter set-up failed.
Fairly dramatic for only 6 or 7 lbs of pressure.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 08:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I believe I was the one that made the observation. Agreed, the pump discharge pressure is only 5-7 psig, but it can spray a lot of fuel in a short time at this pressure if the line comes loose for any reason. A base model mechanical pump operating at 6 psig will flow about 40gph which is about 0.7 gpm and in my book that's a lot of fuel if its going the wrong place. A scenario in which a pinhole leak develops in the hose or a clamp starts leaking a spray at a connection could be worse than the hose completely disconnecting if the motor and headers are hot. This is why the OEM setup incorporates rubber lines on only the suction side of the pump and hard lines on the discharge side with threaded fittings. I don't know about overly dramatic, but everyone has a different level of comfort with risk and for a few bucks why not minimize a possible fire risk. Given that OEM's will do almost anything to save a few pennies per car, if rubber was deemed safe for this configuration I guarantee they would have used it. If you're going to use rubber, at least get hose with a liner that will hold up to the lousy ethanol fuel that will rot the line from the inside out. I didn't mean to be critical of anyone's setup, just thought I mention the risk in case it had not been considered.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
They're designed that way in the aftermarket world, originally they were hard plumbed. Years ago a friend's Cuda burned up when a rubber plumbed, garbage glass fuel filter set-up failed.
I've seen steel lines fail as well, not just rubber hose, it's all about maintenance. I would guess yer buddies failure was more to do with glass filter than hose? As people have bashed them for years as well, however, they still sell them and they are on many, many cars. I don't run a glass filter, not cuz I was worried, just get tired of the lecture I got when I had one on the car, so when I upgraded the fuel lines I put a steel filter on.
Anything and everything is prone to failure, you can have the best system fail and with todays internet world the failures get the press not the millions of successes. So I take all with a grain of salt.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
I believe I was the one that made the observation. Agreed, the pump discharge pressure is only 5-7 psig, but it can spray a lot of fuel in a short time at this pressure if the line comes loose for any reason. A base model mechanical pump operating at 6 psig will flow about 40gph which is about 0.7 gpm and in my book that's a lot of fuel if its going the wrong place. A scenario in which a pinhole leak develops in the hose or a clamp starts leaking a spray at a connection could be worse than the hose completely disconnecting if the motor and headers are hot. This is why the OEM setup incorporates rubber lines on only the suction side of the pump and hard lines on the discharge side with threaded fittings. I don't know about overly dramatic, but everyone has a different level of comfort with risk and for a few bucks why not minimize a possible fire risk. Given that OEM's will do almost anything to save a few pennies per car, if rubber was deemed safe for this configuration I guarantee they would have used it. If you're going to use rubber, at least get hose with a liner that will hold up to the lousy ethanol fuel that will rot the line from the inside out. I didn't mean to be critical of anyone's setup, just thought I mention the risk in case it had not been considered.
Yes, if it ruptures, 6-7 lbs of pressure would be plenty to cause a nightmare. And I would never run a glass filter or gauge under my hood.
My point was that a rubber fuel line by itself is not a problem. 6-7 lbs isn't going to cause a rubber line to rupture.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

Hard line ONLY from the pressure side of the pump to your carb. NO RUBBER AT ALL ON THE PRESSURE SIDE

Vince

68 Camaro standard original 327 4 speed Laguna Blue black standard interior.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

X2 with Vince...I like the hard line "Z" setup with a Holley and use a short rubber line w/filter on the suction side of the pump.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Yes, if it ruptures, 6-7 lbs of pressure would be plenty to cause a nightmare. And I would never run a glass filter or gauge under my hood.
My point was that a rubber fuel line by itself is not a problem. 6-7 lbs isn't going to cause a rubber line to rupture.
The glass filter was the cause, but a clamp or hose failure can also cause a problem. Never said the fuel pressure is going to pop a line.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Years ago a friend's Cuda burned up when a rubber plumbed, garbage glass fuel filter set-up failed.
Many years ago my dad's 67 had rubber from the cut end of a stock hard line to the carb. Cut end had a burr and vibration cut the hose. If the guy behind him had not had a fire extinguisher the car would have been gone.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 05:59 PM
Team Member
Darin

I've always used hardline and/or AN braided stuff on my hobby cars.

I'm using push-loc style on my latest EFI project. And the stock SS hardline for a return with hardline double compression adapters to AN push-loc where needed at both ends of the return.

Even if I was running a carb I would use push-loc, or another type of AN fitting. I can't stand worm hose clamps, I don't use 1 anywhere on my car. Well on my fuel filler hose there's a couple. Lol.

I even used the compression adapter on my pwr steering return. Looks lots better.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 16, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Hard fuel line and filter from the fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
carb, fuel line, hard line, rail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode