Carb recomendations for my Big Block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Carb recomendations for my Big Block

While installing my new transmission I realized the TV cable corrector kit wont work on my old Holly 850 DP. The throttle shafts are loose and it needs to be replaced any way. I was going to wait until this next summer but looks like now is a good time. I am looking for carb recommendations. I have had good luck with the 850 that's on there. I like the holly style carbs. It has had the choke horn cut off and I don't really need the choke anyways. I was looking at the Quick Fuel Supper street Mechanical secondary 850 and two hollys. The regular 4150 double pumper 850 and the 4150 street hp 850. My engine is 460 CI. with @9.5:1 compression, Edelbrock Performer rpm oval port heads and intake and a performer rpm cam. lift at cam is .330 intake and .337 exhaust LSA is 112. Edelbrock says 540 hp at 6500 or so. No I am not ready for fuel injection yet that will be later. If you have any experience with any of these carbs good or bad or have a better idea I would love to hear about them. Thanks I will probably order one Monday morning.

69 X66 72 72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Carb recomendations for my Big Block

My choice would be a 1050 Dominator. But you would probably be happier with the Quick Fuel 850.

Big Blocks respond well to a Dominator carb as they breathe better. They breathe better not just because they have a higher cfm rating but because of their use of annular boosters and a bigger venturi. So if you compared a 1050 cfm 4150 to a 1050 cfm 4500 carb the Dominator not only makes more power, but has a better throttle response.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 10:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Lyle, I also have an oval port 461 big block. I contacted Eric at Vintage Muscle Car Parts. He builds and restores all types of carburetors but mainly Holley's. He recommended and built a 1000 HP Holley for my big block. I sent him all of my specs and he built and tuned the carburetor to fit my combination. He can also rebuild and modify your existing 850 if you choose. He also has excellent follow up support once you install your carburetor. I would at least give him a call to see what he says. He is also a member here on TC.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Consider Holley 8896 with a change to progressive secondaries?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Thanks for the info. I thought about a custom carb but want to get my car on the road asap. Work is busy and snow is comming. I have only driven this car once this summer before the th400 gave up. One ride in 16 years ain't good. For those reasons I want an off the shelf carb.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 16, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I have been playing with both the down leg 850/4781 and the annular booster 9380. The annular has much better throttle response on the street and gave me a perfect AFR at the big end. The lean cruise is fat, but I just fixed that today, the IFR is to big at .037, go down to .034. It comes from Holley with 2 jets leaner all around and responded in better mph the more I leaned it out. It will be much cheaper to use a 4150 than a dominator and intake.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 16, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

You have good heads so I would recommend the Holley 1000 cfm 0-80513-1 first. Do not get rid of your 850, it can be rebuilt. The only 850 Holley is selling now is the street edition (silver) and the Ultra HP 850. I don't care for the Holley Street HP. I like the Ultra XP 850 but it is expensive. My machinist recommended the Holley 830 HP with annular boosters when I first had my 454 rebuilt. I chose a Holley 850 Race 0-9380.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 16, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered the quick fuel SS mechanical 850. It will get it going and probably be ok for a street car. If not I've got a plow truck that needs a carb too. I also realized I didn't Have any ported vacuum spots on my old holly 850 which my new 700r4 transmission needs. The new carb should have one. Eventually I might put efi on but the more I looked into that the more money I wanted to spend.
I have also had problems getting full throttle in the past. The factory mechanical set up leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully I can get that sorted out too. Seems never ending with this car.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 07:32 AM
Greg

Looks like I arrived too late. HP950 hands done with the cam and compression your running. Had similar combo except 468 and 10.5 compression. Car ran 11:60's on street tires and didn't load up in traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode