LS3/Tremec Magnum swap-any TIPS you wish you knew?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 16, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Red face LS3/Tremec Magnum swap-any TIPS you wish you knew??

I am swapping my 1969 with ramjet 350 with an LS3/480 with tremec 6 speed magnum. I will need a new bell housing, clutch, headers, crossmember, engine mounts. I do have A/C.

Any suggestions on serpentine system?
Also any suggestions or tips from those who have done this? Things that you wish you would have known and figured out earlier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: LS3/Tremec Magnum swap-any TIPS you wish you knew??

TJ, unless you want to fork over $2k for some bling then stick with the stock serpentine and locate the AC top left (pic below)
Also consider ... the entire Holley swap kit, and PSI wiring harness .. this would be hands down the easiest
Cheers
Steve

Holley
https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ap_components/

Serpentine kit
https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s/parts/20-138
tooslow69 and really_n0b0dy like this.

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

If your buying the GM crate version don't screw around with any other harnesses and computer unless you plan on getting a dyno tune. The GM one fires right up and no tune needed.

Don't cut corners and skimp anywhere is the best advice. I tried to save a few bucks in the radiator area and ended up buying twice.

Holly mount system and LT headers worked great, same with GM accessories for belt drive.

If your going for a show type build then these parts won't have enough 'flash' for you.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

With the Magnum, you will have to raise your trans tunnel. Also, the GM serpentine kit (corvette style without AC) from Pace Performance is currently back ordered through January.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Just finished a LS3 crate/TKO600 swap in my 68 about a week ago. I did some of the work and had a pro handle a lot of the heavy lifting and wiring which was above my pay grade. Biggest recommendation is take what you think it will cost and double it if you want to use new parts that were made to work together and not random mix matches from the junk yard. My lessons learned.

1) GM harness and LS3 Corvette accessory drives worked really well.
2) You will need a new fuel system from the tank to the lines. Make sure you consider your gauges before you select the sender. if you have retro style they will read 0-90 ohms, newer ones read higher ohm outputs. I selected the standard tanks inc. package and it came with the new style sender and my gauges are New Vintage style retro gauges reading 0-90 so my options were pull the tank and swap the sender or pull the gauge cluster and have it re-programmed to read the correct output which is what I did. That extra five minutes to select the right one would have saved me a lot of hassle.
3) I used the dingo slider mounts and that helped me keep the tranny in the right spot and not have to cut the tunnel to make it fit.
4) Radiator - I went from BBC to LS3. The inlet on my new radiator from the BBC was on the drivers side. That will not work for LS3. Inlet and outlet needs to be on passenger side. I paid $100 to have mine cut and relocated by a radiator shop.
5) exhaust - unless you are starting over it is likely the width of the collectors will not line up with your current system (mine didn't) so you should assume some pipe bending in the budget.
6) tachometer - if you have old style that takes signal from coil it will not read right as the LS3 output is only like 4 volts so you need to add a step up resistor to get the signal right.
7) power steering - if you have one of the aftermarket conversion packages you will have issues with hoses and connections. I had to search around to find the right connectors to go from new pump to old steering box.
8) intake - its pricy but rotofab system worked well for me. Bought a cheaper version and it sucked and was missing the MAF mounting hardware, etc. Make sure what you buy has the bracket to mount the MAF built into it.

Other items are as you noted....clutch, bellhousing, gas pedal, etc all need replacing too. Good luck.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 10:45 AM
John

Garage

You can also go with the Holley front drive kit

Holley 20-137: LS Complete Accessory Drive Kit SD508 A/C Compressor | JEGS

As stated above confirm the components you decide on are compatible with each other.

Most guys forget things like gauges, hose connections and other things that add up.

The fuel line and AN fittings alone can run $200

Ive used Tanks Inc with the 255L pump and Corvette regulator in many builds up to over 600 HP and never had an issue.

You will need electric cooling fans and the relays to control them. They can be switched on via the ECM.

Gas pedal mounting should be thought out. The GM Control come with the Cadillac pedal. You can also use a Vette pedal and the mount for it from DSE.

T56 is only electric speedo so if using stock you will need a adapter like the one from CableX.

Tunnel mod required for T56. You can use the Speedtech cover or fab one.

Unless you are absolute about the 6 speed you can use a TKO600 that has cable speedo drive and does not require the tunnel mod. Did a friends 69 with a LS3/480 and the TKO600. He loves it.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 03:06 PM
Team Member
Rich

I just put a LSX and T56 magnum in my 67, I wish I had read a thread like this before I ordered parts would have saved me time and money. Lesson learned:

1) Don't listen to the vendor when they tell you there system for the T56 Magnum will work without having to raise your trans tunnel, it won't unless you are ok with a 6 to 7 degree angle on the motor/tranny (not good).
2) Don't worry about who you buy the transmission from, more important is find a good company with good customer service, pricing, and a proven setup that others have used in their cars. (The Holley setups look very good).
3)Not a big fan of the Tanks Inc setup for fuel tank, I know others have used them but I put one in our 68 C10 truck and had nothing but issues with it, pump was very noisy, it would bog the motor down and starve for fuel when it gets under about 1/4 of a tank. For my Camaro I going to get one of the new setup from Rick's tanks Restomod, looks like a much better setup with a new Camaro fuel pump and regulator built together and a high quality fuel level sensor.
4)For a serpentine system I bought one from Drive Junky, its a very high quality setup with everything I need a fits the 1st gen camaro very nicely cannot comment on other brands.

Rich

1967 SS350, Under construction.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheck44 View Post
...locate the AC top left (pic below)
Do you mean passenger side? That's where my AC currently is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
With the Magnum, you will have to raise your trans tunnel.
I currently have a 5 speed in it. What do you mean I would have to 'raise' the tunnel? <Many sources tell me that no fabrication to the tunnel will be required since there are several placed to mount the lightning shifter on the magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal68SS View Post
2) Make sure you consider your gauges before you select the sender.
3) I used the dingo slider mounts and that helped me keep the tranny in the right spot and not have to cut the tunnel to make it fit.
4) Radiator - That will not work for LS3. Inlet and outlet needs to be on passenger side.
I do have a new tank for the ramjet 350 with fuel injection, I am getting Dakota digital gauges and I think the sender should work with it. I do have to get a different fuel pump with more pressure.
what is a dingo slider, I don't want to have to modify the tunnel as there is already a bit of a larger hole from the 5 speed that is there.
I have a new aluminum dewitt radiator and I have seen the hose and cold air intake both go to the drivers side utilizing the original configuration of the radiator so I hope it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Tunnel mod required for T56. You can use the Speedtech cover or fab one.
If I had to do this would I still be able to use the stock console? I'm hoping the multiple places to mount the shifter will come through like many have said

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20cooled View Post
I just put a LSX and T56 magnum in my 67, I wish I had read a thread like this before I ordered parts would have saved me time and money. Lesson learned:

1) Don't listen to the vendor ...unless you are ok with a 6 to 7 degree angle on the motor/tranny (not good).
Rich
explain this concern if you could please?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 16, 11:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Dirty Dingo Motorsports GM LS Gen 3 LS1 Gen 4 Conversion Swap Engine Mounts and Accessory Brackets

Dingo slider mounts. For the radiator, you can use one that has the inlet on the driver's side but with the space you have up front between the electric fans and the intake you will end up with a long hose over to the passenger's side where the outlet from the block is located. I started with this but did not like the messy look and after spending $10K for a bunch of parts I wanted it to look clean. It cost me about $100 to have my radiator modified to relocate the inlet to the other side and it makes it look a lot better. I'll try to post a picture of my set up when I get a chance.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 16, 12:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Here is a shot of my engine bay showing the tightness up front.

tooslow69 and really_n0b0dy like this.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 16, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Steve - looks awesome - very nice.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 16, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

TJ ... to the point of your T56 Mag tranny issue, it is a taller trans therefor both the shifting plate and the front end of the trans sit much higher meaning if you wanted to maintain the stock tunnel you'd have to point the trans downward towards the drive shaft and this is NOT good. To maintain the proper trans angle you have to cut out the entire top of the trans tunnel and install the below tunnel Mod from Speedtech (or as John pointed out build your own)

This explains everything ...
T-56 Tunnel Cover

Now to answer your question about the stock console, I'm not sure but someone here will know

AC - yes, on the passenger side up top ... as detailed in the Holley site for the accessory drive

Cheers
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 16, 05:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Twto, what current trans are you running right now?

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 16, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I'm looking for the slider mounts you describe on this site but not sure which ones. I just purchased the hooker/holley engine mounts and would those fit better than these to hopefully prevent needing to modify the tunnel?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 16, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

currently I have a Richmond 5 speed and the guy that is helping me really feels that little will have to be done to the 69 tunnel for the t56 magnum.
Any suggestions on the hydraulic clutch setup or is any option good as the next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode