Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dyno jonn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 16, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Help with Valve Stem Seal Install

I'm gettin oily plugs so I need to replace the valve stem seals on my 302. If I pull the heads, it's easy, if I don't then I have to contend with the clearance between the headers and the plug holes since I'd use compressed air to hold the valves open. I have to use a shorty plug on #5 since I can't get the plug wire boot over a standard plug for this cylinder so I'll never get a stiff pressure hose in there. Do you need to pull the headers or is there some type of angle adapter that can be screwed into the plug hole to direct the air hose to the side to clear the header tube and if so where do I find one?

How much air pressure have you guys used to hold the valves in place and does any particular manufacturer make a hose and connector that is better than another? I guess I could pull the heads or is that way more trouble than what it's worth?

Any recommendations on seals? Thanks for your help.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 16, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: Help with Valve Stem Seal Install

Never done it, but I have that you can feed rope in through the plug hole and do the same thing.
yellow69RS likes this.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Never done it, but I have that you can feed rope in through the plug hole and do the same thing.
I've used the rope method and it works fine, an added advantage of the rope method is you don't have to worry about your compressor taking a vacation in the middle of the job and dropping a valve into the cylinder.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I hadn't thought about using rope, but you make a good point about the compressor plus if I want to take a break I don't have to leave the compressor running and this would solve the header issue with cylinder #5. So, you just feed in the rope until no more will feed and then manually crank the engine to TDC for that cylinder, right? Will this method hold the valves tight againt the piston so there is enough resistance to get the job done?

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Chris, I have never used the rope but have seen and heard of guys using it. I see where you are having an issue with the hose. I have always used the hose kit out of a compression tester, just changed the air coupler tip. The hose is about 12" long and quite flexable.

You could loosen the entire header from the head and lay it back to use the hose. it will also give you room to work with the rope.

When I did get to using the air to change the valve spring or seal, I found that the valve stem was loose in the guide, telling me that I needed new guides or having the old guide knurled and that required removing the head.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

Small bungee cord works good.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Don, just out of curiosity, when you found the stem loose in the guides, how loose is loose? I assume that the tolerances are pretty close so is it noticeably loose so it can be wiggled back and forth or are we talking thousandths? I'm also curious as to what type of seals. The umbrella type make sense to me, the o-ring around the top of the valve stem don't. I can see how the umbrella type would shed the oil, but an o-ring at the top, how's that help?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
So, you just feed in the rope until no more will feed and then manually crank the engine to TDC for that cylinder, right? Will this method hold the valves tight againt the piston so there is enough resistance to get the job done?
Remove all your spark plugs, locate the piston at BDC for the cylinder you are about to replace the seals on, feed as much rope into the spark plug hole as you can then rotate the crank with a breaker bar by hand so it pushes the piston up into the rope and compresses it against the valves. Never had one that didn't hold the valves tight into the head to get the job done.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 16, 12:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Don, just out of curiosity, when you found the stem loose in the guides, how loose is loose? I assume that the tolerances are pretty close so is it noticeably loose so it can be wiggled back and forth or are we talking thousandths? I'm also curious as to what type of seals. The umbrella type make sense to me, the o-ring around the top of the valve stem don't. I can see how the umbrella type would shed the oil, but an o-ring at the top, how's that help?
Can't really measure thousands as if the cly is aired up, its hard to do and the valve head is pushed up into the head seat. With the bunge cord method, you can wiggle the top of the stem , providing you don't have the cly up so tight on the valve. Backing off a little might let you do this but don't go too far as you don't want the valve to drop into the cly, then you have to pull the head.

If you are using the round nose umbrella seal, the ford type, that works providing the under body of the seal is seated on the valve guide stem. Even putting the o-ring on the valve just adds to sealing, as thats what the factory always did. But over time , guys put the ford type seal on as they didnt want to mess with replacing guides.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode