Big Block Throttle Linkage - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 16, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mike

Garage
Question Big Block Throttle Linkage

For those of you running big blocks. What are you doing for a throttle linkage? I'm dropping in a 454 and was thinking a cable set up would be beneficial? My rides a 68.

Thanks in advance.
Coop

Army Vet
Car Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 16, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Big Block Throttle Linkage

By 1968 GM was resolving it's first national motor vehicle safety recall in regards to their 1958 design of the motor mount. Just about every motor in the line-up by then was capable of breaking the factory vulcanized (glued together) factory rubber motor mount. As a result the motor would rock to the passenger side and with a throttle rod pull the throttle open. These "E-Ticket rides" resulted in natural selection taking it's course with those not smart enough to turn off the ignition, push in the clutch or to p[op the tranny into neutral (any one would solve the problem) to crash.

Ralph Nader made is fame but mostly fortune by suing to recall all GM cars with a V8 made from 1958 to '68 and having a five to torque strap installed on the cast iron exhaust that looped around the upper control arm to limit motor movement. In 1969 the motor mounts were changed and a cable throttle installed.

The only difference being the throttle hangs in the air on a cable car but rests on the floor of the foe board on a rod car. I used to pull the restraining plastic end off the cable style by being too vigorous in mashing the gas. Took a little to get used to the higher gas pedal as well. Today all cars are that way so you should be used to it by now.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 16, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
By 1968 GM was resolving it's first national motor vehicle safety recall in regards to their 1958 design of the motor mount. Just about every motor in the line-up by then was capable of breaking the factory vulcanized (glued together) factory rubber motor mount. As a result the motor would rock to the passenger side and with a throttle rod pull the throttle open. These "E-Ticket rides" resulted in natural selection taking it's course with those not smart enough to turn off the ignition, push in the clutch or to p[op the tranny into neutral (any one would solve the problem) to crash.

Ralph Nader made is fame but mostly fortune by suing to recall all GM cars with a V8 made from 1958 to '68 and having a five to torque strap installed on the cast iron exhaust that looped around the upper control arm to limit motor movement. In 1969 the motor mounts were changed and a cable throttle installed.

The only difference being the throttle hangs in the air on a cable car but rests on the floor of the foe board on a rod car. I used to pull the restraining plastic end off the cable style by being too vigorous in mashing the gas. Took a little to get used to the higher gas pedal as well. Today all cars are that way so you should be used to it by now.

Big Dave
Thanks Dave....I guess I'll try and figure out a combination that will work...was kinda hoping for someone to chime in who has done this with maybe a little direction..but like I said Thanks for the input.
Coop

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 16, 10:49 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

In '68 and '69 the standard throttle linkage was a solid throttle rod and linkage between the pedal and carb. Only the inline 6 got a cable. There are plenty of aftermarket cable assembly's available but you have to replace the pedal assembly as well as the cable and the carb connections unless your car was a 6 cyl originally. I would just do something like this...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/blogs/...od-budget.html

As for the engine mount recall it came in 1971 and included all 3 years of first gens and a total of 6.68 million GM cars & trucks.. Here are the facts...

Chevrolet Motor Mounts ? Center for Autosafety

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode