• 1 Post By DOUG G
  • 1 Post By ctcz28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Question Header vs. micro fiber towel

Hey all,

Yesterday I was tuning my carburetor and had a micro fiber towel laying over my valve cover. Well long story short the towel slid down on my nice jet hot coated headers. Now, I have a nice micro fiber towel that is missing a large section that is burnt on my headers. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the burnt area? I know about stainless steel wool pads, but how do I get the majority of the rag goo off the header tube so I can use the wool pad to polish the tube back out.

Do I need to let the car run so the headers heat back up, and if so what do I use then to remove the nice goo while its hot, and that wont melt or scratch the headers.

As always, thank you in advance

John

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Header vs. micro fiber towel

John, I believe that micro towel is basically like plastic and when it melts, you will probably have a big black blob on the pipe.

Just wonder if once its cooled down or cold, that you might scrape some but your coating concerns me, If its a stainless , and the blob has been removed, I just wounder what heavy scotch brite or emory cloth would do.

That's all I can think of at the moment. You may have to live with it, unless you want to remove the header and have it re-coated.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Thanks for the reply Don. I'm going to work on it when I get home. I'll try seeing if I can get the majority of the black blob off with a plastic scraper. Leaving it is not an option....to anal for that....lol

1969 Camaro

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 02:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

Garage

I would try to get a piece of tubing made of the same material and recreate your mess. That would be a better way to experiment with cleaning.

Pete

69 Camaro
Owner for 33 years
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Hit with Goof Off or Goo Gone and a plastic scraper. Heat will probably make things worse. If you want to try heat just use a heat gun or hair dryer. No need to run the engine just to heat it up.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

You can try heating up the header tube with a heat shrink gun and wiping as much off as you can. Spray on oven cleaner with the heat can help as well. Ceramic coating can be polished with polishing compound, it can even be wet sanded with very fine grit sand paper and then polished, but that will leave the area polished looking smoother and shinier then the areas adjacent to it, unless you polish all of the header tubes.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

Have you tried acetone or Xylol? They just might dissolve the mess without scrapping.

Vince

68 Camaro standard original 327 4 speed Laguna Blue black standard interior.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 06:50 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Dry Ice ?

I would call the header Mfg and see what they would suggest.
68Tiger likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 04:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Not sure if it would remove it but it will not hurt the finish & worth a try. BTW I agree with Doug. Call Jet Hot they have a great support team.

Eagle One Never Dull wadding polish. Eagle One Never Dull uses solvents instead of rouge to effectively remove rust and tar.

•Designed for cleaning and polishing metal surfaces
•Removes rust and tar
•Can be used on silver, gold, brass, copper, pewter, glass, steel, aluminum, or chrome
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I agree that calling the manufacturer is the best place to start. I'd use a mild polishing compound like one uses to polish a car's paint finish. Use a polishing wheel (felt?) on an electric drill if you don't have a polisher or if the polisher's wheel is too large and start with the least abrasive polish and work up to find one that actually removes the burned spot. I'd think that the burned-on towel is only on the surface of the finish and you'll remove that first before getting down to the actual finish itself and thus you won't burn through or damage the finish on the header. I can't see how the burned-on towel could actually get into the porcelin finish so it should just be on top. This could take a lot of time, but I bet it would work.
zdld17 likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

I removed some of the "Blob" from the header tubes last night. I warmed the motor up and took a cotton rag and wiped some of the mess off the tubes. I will call jet hot tomorrow and ask them how I should proceed. I'm thinking if I can get the majority of the black mess off the tubes I can polish the rest out with mothers polish or something equivalent.

1969 Camaro

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 01:53 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Just best to be safe since coated headers aren't cheap and being you're "picky"

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode