Coolant Around Head Bolt - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 16, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage
Coolant Around Head Bolt

Hey everyone, went to pull off the value cover to clean them and found coolant around the back head bolt(closes to the firewall) on the #8 cylinder (pic below). I am assuming that this bolt goes into a water jacket(I hope). So my questions for you guys are:

1) Can I just take this bolt out, put some thread sealant on it and reinstall and torque without touching the other bolts or do all the bolts on the head have to be removed and re-torqued. Really hoping I can just remove this one bolt without having to mess with the others

2) Which thread sealant is best to use for head bolts?

thanks for the help!

1969 Camaro - LeMans Blue
383ci Stroker ~ M22 4-speed ~ 12-Bolt Posi-3.73
AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60

Last edited by 69-Pace; Nov 10th, 16 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 16, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Coolant Around Head Bolt

I would check to see if the bolt was torqued right to begin with and then I would remove just the one bolt and use Permatex thread sealant on it and reinstall. Make sure you use a little oil on the head of the bolt to get the correct torque. If that doesn't do the trick you could use a coolant sealant made by GM that comes in a pill form...works very good on small minute leaks. Just my opinion. I'm sure other members will have some ideas too.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 16, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

In any case , the bolt needs sealant even if you torqued. To avoid a good stream of coolant when you remove that bolt, I would suggest you drain coolant to the bolt level, you can monitor this in the radiator with cap off.
Apply the thread sealant and torque that bolt down.

I would check other bolts if possible as they could be short of torque value also. I know it's a pain but the other bolt torque need to be what you applied on the problem bolt.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage

Thanks for the replys guys. I will just take out this 1 bolt and add thread sealant to it. Was not looking forward to removing the headers etc to get at all the bolts, so just doing this 1 is hopefully a quick fix.

Sorry for the picture not showing. Does anyone know why I cannot edit my original post to fix it, there is no Edit option?

Having an issue with my Google Photo album not displaying pictures in forums and might need to switch to a better hosting site

Here's the picture of the bolt that I mentioned earlier that everyone should be able to see now

AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60

Last edited by 69-Pace; Nov 10th, 16 at 07:10 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 16, 11:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

You loose the ability to edit after 20 to 30 minutes and need a moderator to make changes. As for the pictures you have used your personal credentials and not public url to the photos on your google docs share. Place the photos in your public folder and send us the links to edit your post or upload them direct to our servers here at Team Camaro.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 16, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage

Hey Brian, I didn't know that about the 30 min edit, thanks.

Whats weird is the URL I used from my Google Album worked the day I posted the attachment but was gone the next day. Never had an issue posting images before either from there. Will have to look more into the public folder you mentioned as I don't remember seeing other options.

Thanks!

AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 16, 03:21 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

It worked for you as long as your login cookie was still active on your computer while the rest of us never saw them.
There are more reasons than this to upload your photos direct to our servers, or into your Garage here at TC so you don't need to jump through tons of hoops to get your photos available to only those who you want.

Let me know if you need help figuring out where your truly public google docs folder is ( you may not have one defined already) and then we can test and then edit your thread.

Brian

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 16, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage

Brian sent you a PM. thanks

AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 16, 07:11 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

fixed both posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode