2Likes
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

1 piece or 2 piece rear main seal

I am trying to price a Crank for my 327 block, I am asked if it has a 1-piece rear main seal or 2. Attached is a picture of the bottom side, how do I tell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	327 block.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	165282  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Look at the back side of block
If a deep groove just inside the bearing cap, 2 piece.
If no groove and there is a bolt pattern symmetrical about the rear cap, then 1 piece
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 1 piece or 2 piece rear main seal

Here is what a one piece rear main seal looks like from the back of the block:

and here is what a two piece rear main seal looks like:

Notice the rear main seal on the top photo is one big seal whereas the bottom there is no seal shown but it fits over the ridge in the back and could leak at the joint (which is why you off set the seal about fifteen degrees and use sealant).

Found a two piece seal photo. The seal is the blue bit.

Big Dave
Fried Okra likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
mark

Thanks for the pictures, I will check it out. I was told by tech guy at JEGS today that the older blocks had the 2-piece and it wasn't until mid 80's did they switch to the 1-piece.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camarors View Post
Thanks for the pictures, I will check it out. I was told by tech guy at JEGS today that the older blocks had the 2-piece and it wasn't until mid 80's did they switch to the 1-piece.
GM started the conversion in 1985 and everything had a one piece rear main seal and hydraulic roller lifters by 1987. As such if you look in the lifter valley you will see the stand offs cast into the valley if it has a one piece rear main seal if those stand offs are drilled and tapped it was used as a hydraulic roller. The lifter bosses are also taller on a one piece block but that is hard to determine visually.

Big Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 01:28 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Can you tell if it's a one-piece or two-piece seal by the dipstick location? I was told once that if the dipstick is on the driver's side, it's an older two-piece block; if it is on the passenger side, it's a newer one-piece block. I've always wondered if that is really true.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

It isn't.

Yes the block had a hole drilled in it to move the dip stick away from the oil pan (so that the actual hole to the outside world was raised above the splashed oil level in the pan), but it was moved from the pan to the block in the 1980 production run. It was done to relieve oil leaks, but ....

If when you have the motor rebuilt the machine shop will drive the lower part of the block mounted dip stick tube out of the block and they don't replace it. You have to buy a replacement tube from Chevy or the oil pressure will either blow the dip stick out onto the highway or just push it up to the hood and blow oil everywhere. Also without the lower tube in place the upper tube is a poor fit.

Back to the question: dip stick moved in 1980 and one piece rear main seal didn't appear in Camaros until I believe it was 1986 so it isn't a true indicator.

Big Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 08:54 PM
John

Garage

Hey Dave. You say to offset the 2 piece 15* yet the picture you posted Ike's not show it offset?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 11:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I don't think that is Dave in the photo. He just said he "found" a photo of the two piece. I agree, the seal needs to be slightly off set from the flange of the main cap and the block. Doesn't need much. Also, don't need near as much RTV as in that pic.

Lynn
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 16, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Hey Dave. You say to offset the 2 piece 15* yet the picture you posted Ike's not show it offset?
That isn't me or my picture I quickly mined it off the web.

When I am building a motor I am usually paying attention to what I am doing and usually have oil covered hands or fingers with RTV or other sealants on them which I don't want on my Nikon camera or lenses.

My note books are nearly illegible for this reason. I write down all of the measurements and what I am doing as I often have two or three motors in one stage of assembly or another and didn't trust my memory even when I was younger.

This became especially true after I lost a 454 to a loose oil pump bolt that I didn't torque down after mocking everything up to check clearances. Finding the oil pump and bolt in the bottom of the oil pan reinforced my need for documentation.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 16, 06:27 AM
John

Garage

I was just funnin ya. Lol

I am a big fan of check lists due in part to my pilot training.

I also have a dry erase board on my garage wall that I write things on as I'm working, greasy hands and all. Basically I write down anything that I plan to come back to.
yellow69RS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode