Had a great running 406 until the fuel pump rod ate itself and deposited metal shavings throughout the motor. There's a bit more to the story than that, but the punchline is that the motor is getting bored and honed .040 over, and I'm spending Turkey Day ordering parts. Here's my engine specs:
- 400 SBC .040 over (511 block, 4-bolt main)
- stock heads - 76cc (1.94/1.50?)
- stock rods (5.565)
- flat-tappet cam- 222/222 @ 50, .447"/.447"
- Typhoon manifold (edelbrock performer knock-off)
- either Edelbrock 1406 600 or Holley 750 (both are set-up, ready to go)
- Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4"
Someone mentioned I should strive for a 10:1 comp ratio. It's a street car normally driven on weekends. Might see the strip once or twice, but definitely nothing serious on that front. I don't need to maximize performance at this point. Maybe 5 years down the road I'll want to upgrade the heads and cam, but for now I'm not looking to drop high $$ to squeeze out every ounce of power. That being said, if there's small things I can do now that just "make sense"...let me know!
Looking for advice:
1. Pistons. I plan to get KB172KTM-040 hypereutectic, piston/ring kit (flat, 5/64" rings, $414). https://m.summitracing.com/parts/uem-kb172ktm-040
. Does anyone see a reason to go with anything different?
2. I was told to have the machinist mic the rods. I assume this is worth the cost?
3. For the life of me I can't find how long the wrist pins should be to match the Pistons above. Do all Pistons come with wrist pins? Do I need to buy retaining clips separately?
4. Should I get new rod bolts? I have no idea how old the current ones are.
5. Recommendation for head gaskets? Should I chooses the thickness to fine tune a specific compression ratio? Should I really be shooting for 10:1?
6. Any specific brand of bearings?
7. I would love to have a leak proof SBC when I'm done with this. What gaskets should I be looking at?
8. I'll be rebuilding the heads. Are there known parts I'll have to replace during the rebuild?
9. Is assembly line all the same or should I lean towards a specific brand/type?
Any guidance is appreciated. I'm trying to order Pistons tomorrow...other stuff can get kicked down the road a bit.