4Likes
  • 3 Post By ctcz28
  • 1 Post By Sauron67MM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

ZDDP Levels - A List for Various Oils

Recent posts soliciting oil recommendations and related comments about zinc and phosphorous levels in various oils peaked my curiosity so I put together the attached table showing the Zn and P levels for a few popular oils. I've not attempted to provide a comprehensive list and your oil may not be on the list. If you have more interest I'd suggest consulting the MSDS or Product Technical Sheet for any oil you're considering, don't take my word for it. I just wanted to provide a starting point from which to begin your research or if you're using an oil with less ZDDP than you want it may be time to reconsider your choice. A level of ZDDP of about 1200 ppm seems to be the recommended minimum and levels that are too high may create certain negative unintended consequences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Zn-P Levels.jpg
Views:	1924
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	168978  
Larger Dave, Deangelo66 and 6t9z28 like this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 11:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
Re: ZDDP Levels - A List for Various Oils

That is a useful list. At first, I was worried that a certain user claiming to be an oil guru got a new screen name. Thanks!
. - Rob

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 12:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Thanks for putting that together. I've been using the Brad Penn oils since I wiped my cam on Mobile1. Seems like I've made a good choice.

In a pinch I'll substitute VR-1. Also looks good when nothing else better is around.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Not on the list: Spectro Motor-Guard, 1800 ppm of zinc and phosphorous. Made in CT.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Thanks for putting that together. I've been using the Brad Penn oils since I wiped my cam on Mobile1. Seems like I've made a good choice.

In a pinch I'll substitute VR-1. Also looks good when nothing else better is around.
I was surprised to see that there is quite a difference in the ZDDP levels in Mobil 1 10W-30 versus 15W-50. The 15W-50 should be ok for a flat tappet cam. I believe that the heavier weight oils are not subject to the same zinc and phosphorous limits as the lighter weight oils.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Not on the list: Spectro Motor-Guard, 1800 ppm of zinc and phosphorous. Made in CT.
Is that the same company that made/makes "Golden Spectro" that we all swore by for our dirt bikes years ago? They probably still do, but I've been out of it for 15+ years.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 08:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
I was surprised to see that there is quite a difference in the ZDDP levels in Mobil 1 10W-30 versus 15W-50. The 15W-50 should be ok for a flat tappet cam. I believe that the heavier weight oils are not subject to the same zinc and phosphorous limits as the lighter weight oils.
I didn't know that until it was too late. Now I just shy away from Mobil1 in the Camaro. In my 14 Mustang GT I've found that dino-oil from Ford (Motorcraft) is actually the best for the engine. Doesn't burn a single drop of that but it seems to burn Mobil1 for some reason. The 2011 Hemi Durango gets Mobil1 still. No burn there.

It kind of goes to show that every engine needs a certain type of oil.

Brad Penn has done me well in the Camaro. After my latest tear down the cam shows no wear and everything inside has zero slop. That said there's still a ton of sludge, though, but I attribute that to 46 years of abuse before I got her. Well that and the 6 just seems to build up sludge regardless of what you do.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Is that the same company that made/makes "Golden Spectro" that we all swore by for our dirt bikes years ago? They probably still do, but I've been out of it for 15+ years.
Yes. Carlquist Competition here sells and uses both Spectro and Penn. Many are aware of Bill's reputation in the industry. Bill just did an L30 for one of my customers.
HawkX66 likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 17, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
frank

Personally I have always used the heavier weight oil, and I don't live in a climate as hot as Texas. One thing the engine builder has said to me several times........." all the oils look like water after a dyno pull"

wot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode