Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Geo

Garage
Exclamation 1968 327ci Stocker Redline?

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know what the redline is for a 1968 Camaro 327ci stock engine running TH350 trans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 01:40 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: 1968 327ci Stocker Redline?

The LF7 210 hp (2 barrel carb) rating was taken @ 4600 rpm. L30 275 hp (4 barrel carb) @ 4800. Factory tach redline for both was 5K.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Geo

Garage
Exclamation Re: 1968 327ci Stocker Redline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
The LF7 210 hp (2 barrel carb) rating was taken @ 4600 rpm. L30 275 hp (4 barrel carb) @ 4800. Factory tach redline for both was 5K.
It has a 4 barrel carb and a decal on air cleaner that reads "327 275hp". So I'm going to assume it has the 4800 redline, I'll set the tach to 4600 just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have any suggestions on possible motor mods that can be done without having to completely teardown the motor and won't break the bank?

Thanks again,

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

A mild cam and/or intake manifold & carb if yours is stock. I presume it has dual exhaust ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Geo

Garage

Quote:
A mild cam and/or intake manifold & carb if yours is stock. I presume it has dual exhaust ?
Carb is a 4 barrel, not sure if its stock or not. Guy I bought it from said it has a aluminum intake. Also has a TH350 with shift kit.
Yes, has headers and full 2.5" Flowmaster dual exhaust.

"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower".
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Well, sounds like most of the cheap & easy go-fast goodies have already been added. Does your driving excitement still seem to be lacking ?

The main difference between the LF7 and L30, besides the carb, is the heads. Known as "double hump" or "camel hump" heads, they have bigger valves and make a higher compression ratio. Of course some of todays aftermarket heads offer much improved performance over factory heads from 68, are relatively easy to install, but they're not what I'd consider cheap... I really don't know what the price ranges are on them.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Rev it til it blows and then go bigger!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Rev it til it blows and then go bigger!
Amen brother!

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

My 327 has forged pistons, polished rods, brass bushed rod small ends and full floated pistons, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs. Steele crank that is knife edged and ground on an index. Performer RPM intake, vortec heads with no work. They are stock. I have the 327 H/P 327 GM 151 cam.

My 327 will buzz 6300 RPM all day long. The 327 has the right rod ration so they will spin some RPM, it's just a matter of feeding it the fuel it wants. Mine runs very strong and constantly woops up on a friends GM 350 Ho crate engine easily. It will also take a buddies blue print engines 383 in his 70 Camaro by a car length or even more if I can get traction. Darn thing blows the tires off in first and second and into third when I beat the crap out of it. When going up against someone I shift it at 6300-6500.

She is making some noise when up there, that little 327 sounds sweet as heck at those RPMS.

If your interested. a good cam, set of good heads, good intake, roller rockers, a good tune with some fat secondary jets and a lead foot will extract some power and fun out of your 327!!!

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Geo

Garage
Exclamation Re: 1968 327ci Stocker Redline?

Quote:
Well, sounds like most of the cheap & easy go-fast goodies have already been added. Does your driving excitement still seem to be lacking ?

The main difference between the LF7 and L30, besides the carb, is the heads. Known as "double hump" or "camel hump" heads, they have bigger valves and make a higher compression ratio. Of course some of todays aftermarket heads offer much improved performance over factory heads from 68, are relatively easy to install, but they're not what I'd consider cheap... I really don't know what the price ranges are on them.
The car is fairly quick...smokes the tires off of launch and chirps into 2nd. However when going about 50+mph and trying to merge or pass on highway, there's not much in acceleration and I'd like to get a bit more aggressive sound from the exhaust.
I know the easiest thing might be to drop in a 350ci or bigger, but thats not the direction I'm trying to go. From what I was told by previous owner, the motor is original to the car. With that said, I definitely keeping the same motor and just want to do some upgrades that won't end up costing me $3k-$4k.

Thanks for the input "Garfields Maro"

"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower".
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabet95 View Post
The car is fairly quick...smokes the tires off of launch and chirps into 2nd. However when going about 50+mph and trying to merge or pass on highway, there's not much in acceleration and I'd like to get a bit more aggressive sound from the exhaust.
I know the easiest thing might be to drop in a 350ci or bigger, but thats not the direction I'm trying to go. From what I was told by previous owner, the motor is original to the car. With that said, I definitely keeping the same motor and just want to do some upgrades that won't end up costing me $3k-$4k.

Thanks for the input "Garfields Maro"
hmm, I wonder what gears you have in the rear end ?

You can check for originality as beginning in 68, all engines (and trans) got a partial VIN stamp. Here's where to look...1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding Check the suffix code as well as that will determine which 327 and trans combo it originally was. You can also check to see if the heads have the "double hump" in the casting on the end of each head. It'll be right there above the engine (block) stamps.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Geo

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
hmm, I wonder what gears you have in the rear end ?

You can check for originality as beginning in 68, all engines (and trans) got a partial VIN stamp. Here's where to look...1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding Check the suffix code as well as that will determine which 327 and trans combo it originally was. You can also check to see if the heads have the "double hump" in the casting on the end of each head. It'll be right there above the engine (block) stamps.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to decode and verify everything over the weekend. I was told the diff is running 3.73 gearing. As for tranny, it was originally a 2spd powerglide that was offered to me in place of the TH350 by the previous owner...I opted to keep the TH350. Sounds like you did some awesome upgrades to your 327.

Oh and a truly amazing job and write up on you 67 restore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	170194  

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Geo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
My 327 has forged pistons, polished rods, brass bushed rod small ends and full floated pistons, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs. Steele crank that is knife edged and ground on an index. Performer RPM intake, vortec heads with no work. They are stock. I have the 327 H/P 327 GM 151 cam.

My 327 will buzz 6300 RPM all day long. The 327 has the right rod ration so they will spin some RPM, it's just a matter of feeding it the fuel it wants. Mine runs very strong and constantly woops up on a friends GM 350 Ho crate engine easily. It will also take a buddies blue print engines 383 in his 70 Camaro by a car length or even more if I can get traction. Darn thing blows the tires off in first and second and into third when I beat the crap out of it. When going up against someone I shift it at 6300-6500.

She is making some noise when up there, that little 327 sounds sweet as heck at those RPMS.

If your interested. a good cam, set of good heads, good intake, roller rockers, a good tune with some fat secondary jets and a lead foot will extract some power and fun out of your 327!!!
Joe,
Sounds like you've done mostly everything needed to really wake up that 327 and I bet at around 6.5K RPMs that engine is screaming.... Any idea what kind of hp the motor is putting out after your upgrades?

I have a few questions for you. What would a "Good Cam", "Good Heads", "Good Intake" be? The car gets driven maybe a couple of times a month, so high octane gas requirements (so long as its pump gas) and low MPG doesn't not bother me one bit.
Also, what would you recommend as far as Roller Rockers? And the "Fat Secondary Jets", can those be added to my current carb or is a higher performance carb needed?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode