Exhaust Detonation / Timing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Exhaust Detonation / Timing

I have been having exhaust detonation when revving or backing off the thottle on my 67 327/210.....I tried to advance the timing down to the factory spec of 2btdc but it wants to stall when I get down to about 4....I have it set at about 10 now and it runs good but still detonates....Dwell is right at 30....both the timing and dwell were set with the vacuum advance unplugged and capped.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: Exhaust Detonation / Timing

Are you having detonation on acceleration or popping or backfiring on deceleration? Or both?

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi67 View Post
Are you having detonation on acceleration or popping or backfiring on deceleration? Or both?
I am Having popping and backfiring on deceleration

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I would perform these 4 steps to start:

1. Read and understand JohnZs Timing 101 and/or Lars Grimsrud's Timing papers. 2-4 degrees initial timing is way too retarded.
2. Set your total timing to 34-36 degrees all in at 2500-3000 rpm. (This should put your initial somewhere around 14-16. If it doesn't your distributor advance curve may need work)
3. Make sure your vacuum advance only adds about 10-12 degrees at idle
4. Tune your carb because you likely have a lean condition

1967 RS 327/275hp
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trland View Post
I would perform these 4 steps to start:

1. Read and understand JohnZs Timing 101 and/or Lars Grimsrud's Timing papers. 2-4 degrees initial timing is way too retarded.
2. Set your total timing to 34-36 degrees all in at 2500-3000 rpm. (This should put your initial somewhere around 14-16. If it doesn't your distributor advance curve may need work)
3. Make sure your vacuum advance only adds about 10-12 degrees at idle
4. Tune your carb because you likely have a lean condition
I read this in a couple different threads from JohnZ

"Total timing for a 327/210 is 34 degrees @ 4000 rpm (2* initial plus 32* in the distributor - "smog" curve)"
"I wouldn't bump it up much - the 327/210 distributor had 32* of centrifugal advance (to make up for the 2* static setting)."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

If everything is stock, your initial timing should be 2 to 4 degrees advanced (depending on manual or automatic). Much more than that and you will detonate. I would concentrate on getting the engine to run well at idle with 2 to 4 degrees of advance and go from there. Look for a vacuum leak. Reset the idle mixture. Once you have that, begin to then attack the backfire. My problem proved to be a crack in the vacuum line going to my brake booster and I found it while working on getting the motor to idle correctly.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 03:16 PM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
I read this in a couple different threads from JohnZ

"Total timing for a 327/210 is 34 degrees @ 4000 rpm (2* initial plus 32* in the distributor - "smog" curve)"
"I wouldn't bump it up much - the 327/210 distributor had 32* of centrifugal advance (to make up for the 2* static setting)."
Obviously you'd want to limit the centrifugal advance to around 24* if you wanted to try 10* initial.
I'm sure it would idle better using the more modern settings that we know work better in the sbc.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Detonation is usually not on deceleration unless I am mistaken.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 05:01 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Detonation is usually not on deceleration unless I am mistaken.
X2. There are so many factors involved on decel popping that it hard to know where to start. backfire is through intake/carb

#1 verify correct timing and working VA

#2 Idle mixture

#3 Exhaust Leaks which may actually be #1

#4 plug wires crossed

#5 Vacuum leak
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I'm guessing my terminology is not correct in using the word detonation...my bad!....I saw those same sysmptoms on a couple Youtube videos and they called it that!

What I am getting is popping and small backfires when I left off gas after accelerating...I am unable to get the engine to idle at 2-4 degrees advance...I have also adjusted the fuel mixture screws and messed with the points. I started with setting the dwell at around 30...which seemed ideal.....then set the timing to the best I could, which right now is about 10 initial....

Now the mention of an exhaist leak may be real, as I just replaced the exhaust system with a bolt up kit from D&R.....maybe I need to go back a weld it all up instead of using the clamps...The vacuum leak could also be a real possibility as well, as most of the lines look very old...

Great info...thanks!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 07:16 PM
John

Garage

So have you always had this issue or did it just start?
If so what is the last thing you worked on before it started?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Get up close to your entire exhaust system and see if you can find any little carbon tracers at the connections, that'd be your leak.

X2 on the last thing you worked on before the decel popping.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 17, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

This is a new ride for me... I bought it and drove it about a mile before I dismantled all of the engine accessories and cleaned and detailed the engine, gave it a tune-up and installed the new exhaust system... So I don't know what it was like before
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 17, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

My engine won't run at 2* - 4* initial, you'll need 10* - 12* initial I'd think as suggested and then 32* - 36* all in. The low initial timing was specified for emissions purposes with little regard for the best performance setting (IMHO).

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 17, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Could be a spark issue as well. I would recommend dumping the points and going with an induction setup like MSD or Pertronix. Change out for a modern high output coil at the same time. The upgrade would be invisible and would eliminate your issues with dwell. Poor spark leads to unburnt fuel in the exhaust which ignites when load is quickly removed. Even if this does not solve your backfiring issues, it will make the car more reliable.

My comments about too much initial advance was related to that causing detonation on acceleration or "pinging". If you can run higher amounts of advance and the car still runs well and does not ping, then you are fine. More advance usually means better acceleration but the tradeoff can be detonation while under load.

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode