Holley carb recall - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage
Holley carb recall

In 2006, I bought a new Holley model 4160 carb. After a couple of weeks on the car, it ran progressively worse, to the point that I had to remove it. Afterward, I dismantled the carb and noticed that the inside of it was flaking off. Clearly, a manufacturing problem. I stuck the carb in a box and forgot about it.

In August of this year, a friend told me to call Holley, and that if the numbers on the carb lined up, they would send me a new, replacement carb.

I called Holley at 866-464-9553 and asked for Tech-Service. I gave the guy the numbers on the air horn. My carb was among the defective carbs. I was instructed to put a note of explanation in a box and then return the carb to: Holley Performance Products, 1801 Russellville Road, POB 10360, Bowling Green, KY 42102-7360. I asked about getting reimbursed for the shipping expense and was told, "No."

I mailed the carb back to Holley and three or four weeks later, a new, replacement carb arrived.

Shortly thereafter, I mailed a letter to Holley along with proof of my shipping expense. I am pleased to say that I not only received a phone call, but a week or so later, received reimbursement for my shipping expense.

I share this story because it might help one of my fellow site members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Holley carb recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars View Post
In 2006, I bought a new Holley model 4160 carb. After a couple of weeks on the car, it ran progressively worse, to the point that I had to remove it. Afterward, I dismantled the carb and noticed that the inside of it was flaking off. Clearly, a manufacturing problem. I stuck the carb in a box and forgot about it.

In August of this year, a friend told me to call Holley, and that if the numbers on the carb lined up, they would send me a new, replacement carb.

I called Holley at 866-464-9553 and asked for Tech-Service. I gave the guy the numbers on the air horn. My carb was among the defective carbs. I was instructed to put a note of explanation in a box and then return the carb to: Holley Performance Products, 1801 Russellville Road, POB 10360, Bowling Green, KY 42102-7360. I asked about getting reimbursed for the shipping expense and was told, "No."

I mailed the carb back to Holley and three or four weeks later, a new, replacement carb arrived.

Shortly thereafter, I mailed a letter to Holley along with proof of my shipping expense. I am pleased to say that I not only received a phone call, but a week or so later, received reimbursement for my shipping expense.

I share this story because it might help one of my fellow site members.
Wow you got lucky. After 11 years, anyone would have understood if Holley told you to forget it from the get go. Congrats. Glad to see it worked out for you.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I have to ask, was this one of the shinny blinggy zinc carbs?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I had one of those as well, different carb, but same thing, except I didnt know about the recall and replaced the bowls at my expense . Mine was not shiney

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I wonder of that bad batch of carbs were made in China. Hope not.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Hi.
* No. Not a shiny, blingy carb. Just a regular carb.
* I almost replaced the bowls too. I just didn't want to spend good money after bad. I cant tell you how many times I almost threw the darn thing out.
*Regarding where it was made; I still have all of my original paper work, except the box. I looked at it again tonight and none of it says where the carb was made.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 17, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Mark, you got me thinking, I have all of the original paperwork, and after looking around, I found the original box. There is no mention of country of origin anywhere. I took a bunch of pictures of the carb before I mailed it to Holley. The only thing stamped on it is "USA."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode