• 1 Post By scblucam
  • 1 Post By DOUG G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
Lessons Learned for 383 install!

I installed a 430 HP 383 from BP to replace my old 350 that leaked so bad that I ran a hollow pcv valve to keep the oil in.... yeah.

Things I learned: Don't buy an oil filter adapter, BP engines come with one; don't buy a timing tab for an 8" balancer, they come with one; a 1406 runs too lean for it; a vintage air system alternator and compressor for a stock sbc will not fit these heads, the ports are .1" higher; don't reuse hoses even if they're fairly new; buy extra spark plugs, they break easy; fill the tank with premium fuel before you swap; buy the special crimper for spark plug wires; Edelbrock EPS intakes come with ZERO gaskets; priming the oil pump may not cause oil to come up through the push rods; Auto Zone and Oriely's can only look up parts based on year make and model or part numbers, not item description or measurements; buy the two ton hoist and engine stand from Harbor Freight - wait for the 20% off coupons on line or in the mail- they are damn good parts for the price; don't hydro lock your pilot bearing with grease; a bulb style siphon works well for getting tranny fluid in; GM branded synchromesh makes TKO's shift amazingly; when installing a distributor, drink beer at the same time; make a spread sheet and update.

Total including the 383, new bolts, flywheel, balancer, fluids, Hoist and stand, oil primer, several trips to Ace for other new bolts, intake, gaskets, headers, power steering hoses etc... $6437

I'm looking into a FItech system. Aaaaaannd I need to install my posi. Finally, I did it myself, negating hood removal and install, in 18 labor hours; worth it.
- Rob

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Lessons Learned for 383 install!

Good job. Yes, parts stores want year, make, model, and engine size.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Yep, Remember when you asked for a part and the counter man would go o his bank of catalogs and start flipping.
rtchaney likes this.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Robert,
Well Done! Thanks for the tips. You've got a new engine and the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself and that's saying something these days when many guys don't even own a hammer and just write checks for everything.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Any probably color if you go to Autozone. Seems like the computer is all they know.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 07:21 PM
John

Garage

Great job. Go advice on changing hoses etc. proper tools like a crimper save time and trouble along the way.

For tranny fluida hand pump for $5 that screws onto the bottles are way easier to get fluids into tetra you and rearend.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 17, 05:56 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

LOL ....love it when they just have to have my cars info to look up a part.
rtchaney likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 04:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Good job Robert. Drink beer while installing distributor-haha.
I learned to look up whatever part I want at Autoreilly and then just ask them for it instead of counting on them to find anything.
*rant* It's getting where these stores are almost worthless except for price and the tools they lend.. Can't buy a lot of stuff "by the foot" anymore even. I swear.
A lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode