Old Freeze Plug Inside Block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 17, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Old Freeze Plug Inside Block

So, was turning the block over on the stand to start on the lifters and heads. Heard a little jingle inside the block, and thought it was just the oil pump rod shifting. Was cleaning out the threads on the block and my rifle brush hit something inside that jingled. Come to find out there is a freeze plug in there. I would just pop out the outside plug and use a magnet to pull out, but being on the stand, very limited room back there, and most likely would have to put it on my crane to pull which would be a PITA.

Any issues with leaving the freeze plug in there? No telling how long its been in there. Worst of it is that I had this block cleaned and had new freeze plugs installed a while back. Maybe the machine shop did it..but too much of a hassle to haul it over there.

Thoughts?

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Old Freeze Plug Inside Block

I would try to dig it out personally, just beacause I would obsess over it.

I don't think it will hurt anything if left in there. Chances of it moving to a spot where it would restrict flow are pretty slim.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Will not do anything if left but I'm OCD anal and would want it out.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

I'm kind of the same way guys. After looking at it I should be able to pop off one of the bottom plugs and have access to it. A little irritating when the machine shop either does this or leaves it in there.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

I'd take it out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

It was a a common practice back in the sixties at a lot of mom and pop machine shops to just push the freeze plug into the water jacket before throwing the block into the hot tank. A professional engine builder knows better and would have stripped the block before sending it to the hot tank. In my opinion it is an indication of being lazy and looking for an easy out, rather than taking the time, and putting forth the effort, to do the job correctly. I certainly would expect them to do the work required to blue print an engine if they did this.

Big Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Any suggestions on getting the plug out when there's not much room behind it to turn it sideways and out the hole? Plug is of the deeper set variety and is now in the block as well. Thought I could turn it but no dice. Probably why it the other one was left in there in the first place.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Success...Got em both. Now I can sleep at night...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
Success...Got em both. Now I can sleep at night...
Ya, that kind of chit would bug me at night too. I've read books to try and get better at this materialistic World we live in.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

You know you would have heard them rattle in there even if they didn't.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode