2Likes
  • 2 Post By Everett#2390

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage
Hard start after 90 minutes

Stock zl1 alluminum motor, Holley 850 annular booster.

Cold I pum4296p the gas 4x, any less it does not fire up, no choke, so runs ruff for the first minute, then idles on its own. Now stop at the old neibohorhood and when I leave, I now pump it once, it fires and runs for 10-15 seconds and shuts off, then I must keep it to floor and crank until it fires like it is flooded. Get gas and it fires right up, no gas.air fuel meter is good, did not look at it after it fires and then shuts off. Mechanical fuel pump btw.

IDEAS:
Heat soak and bowls are nearly empty? I have a 1/4 insulted gasket on it

Do these alluminum motors need more gas when heat soaked? Should I put on the metal heat shield ?

The car runs perfect air fuel numbers and better than the stock 4296

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage
Re: Hard start after 90 minutes

I just went out to the garage 90 minutes after shutting it off, pulled off the squirter to verify I had the check valve, all good, went to the secondary and when I pulled the squirter I could see fuel boiling around the check valve.

I checked both float bowls and could not see fuel when I shook the car real good. I set them at barely coming out when I bump the car, so I believe I am boiling the fuel out of the bowls.

The question is float level too high? Needle and seats are fresh and the .120 ones at that? Check valve not seating? Losey fuel, I did put fresh gas in today, it is 62 in Detroit today?

Is winter gas worse for boiling over? Or better volitility?

Does the alluminum dissipate the heat that much faster than steal? These beer can motors are weird?

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
PSMCDR 2014
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 03:12 PM
Kevin

Not sure about a holley, but I had weird carb issues with my Qjet last year, and it turned out the residue from the ethanol fuel where gumming the jets up and causing the float to not work right. I suggest a good cleaning.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Carb is fresh and clean.

I have been reading about the winter fuel our gas stations are using, they say to buy the lowest octane the car will. Run on, I use 93, so that and the winter blend may be part of it, not often it get 60 degrees in Detroit in February

PSMCDR 2014
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Gas recipe has a lot to do with it. I think the problem may be the carb not having a choke for enriching the mixture when cold.
Another carb, with choke, regardless of size would probably give better results for cold starting.
Yes, fuel may be cooked out. Remove a bottom bowl screw and drain into a cup to see how much is left.
At cold start, you can fit a funnel into the bowl vents and fill with gas to see if this would help starting.
If starts better, then yes, fuel peculating from heat.
zdld17 and 69-Pace like this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 06:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Lots of good advice. IMHO I think if you can see it boiling off 90 minutes later the combination of winter blends and heat are catching up with you.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode