Oil to the top side... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Oil to the top side...

I've searched the archives and gotten an idea about my situation but thought I'd go ahead and ask anyhow. I'm priming an engine built many many years ago and am not getting oil to the rocker arms. I rotate the engine and then prime it, the rotate it more, then prime it more and so on. I'm using a pneumatic drill to prime and it only does 700 rpm but the oil pressure gauge while priming reads over 40 psi (probably higher but by the time I can get to looking inside the car it's already dropped off because I can't prime and watch the gauge at the same time). I'd guess that I prime for 20 seconds, then stop, then 20 more and so on... Does it take continual priming for minutes, or higher rpm's, or both, or maybe old engine lube is clogging holes. Not really sure so I thought I'd ask.
Thanks for any info in advance, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Oil to the top side...

I'd probably get a drill with a little more power and see where you are from there. Last time I did it, I think I spun the drill (2500 RPM) for 30-45 seconds before I started seeing oil flowing to the rockers. Then rotate 1/4 turn and continue until you go all the way around and oil is flowing from every rocker. I'd say that every engine is different, but if I wasn't seeing oil flow, I'd figure out where the issue was. I think I was reading 60-70lbs of pressure.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

"More speed, Scotty" 700 rpm = 350 crankshaft RPM.
Place #1 cyl at TDC with both valves closed and prime with a 1/2 drill motor.
Should see oil in less than one minute if this long.
Then as Chad suggests, rotate 1/4 turn and prime for #8, and so on through firing order.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Then as Chad suggests, rotate 1/4 turn and prime for #8, and so on through firing order.
Okay, I didn't realize it reduces it to half. I'll try a better drill then report back.
Thanks guys, Jim
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post

wrong. crank turns twice cam speed, need to rotate crank to the lifter oil position
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

What are you using to prime it? you either need an aftermarket primer tool or a distributer housing to complete the path from the rear oil feed to the lifter feed. spinning the pump without it just lubes the crank.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrim View Post
What are you using to prime it? you either need an aftermarket primer tool or a distributer housing to complete the path from the rear oil feed to the lifter feed. spinning the pump without it just lubes the crank.
I have a priming tool. Everything should be good as far as I know but I'm not seeing oil yet. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm doing something wrong though or am not using the correct drill or something. I just bought the pneumatic drill from harbor freight and figured the pneumatic drill would have plenty of room which my battery powered drill driver doesn't to prime the engine. Guess I need to buy a corded power drill.
Thanks guys for the info. Jim
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

1/2 electric drill is the way to go, Battery powered generally cant handle it. Run the drill for a few minutes, turn the crank 90* and repeat for at least 2 revolutions. Do you have a standard pump, High pressure, or high volume? The high pressure and High volume can really push a drill to its limits. What weight oil and what is the temp where your at? 20w50 and cold outside can make priming an engine difficult.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I used a video camera set on my console to be sure I was getting pressure.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrim View Post
1/2 electric drill is the way to go, Battery powered generally cant handle it. Run the drill for a few minutes, turn the crank 90* and repeat for at least 2 revolutions. Do you have a standard pump, High pressure, or high volume? The high pressure and High volume can really push a drill to its limits. What weight oil and what is the temp where your at? 20w50 and cold outside can make priming an engine difficult.
I'm not sure about the pump being that the engine was built so long ago by someone else. Frankly I don't remember. The oil is 15w-50w BR break-in oil. Temp is mid 60's.
If I need to run the drill two minutes, then that's likely it. I didn't run it for even half that long and only at 700 rpm. Seems I need a better drill.
Thanks, Jim
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I ran my drill for more than 2 min before I saw oil. Then I rotated the engine to get oil to the other head. And run the drill at full speed or it won't prime, plus you need a drill that can handle the drag of the pump/oil.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
I ran my drill for more than 2 min before I saw oil. Then I rotated the engine to get oil to the other head. And run the drill at full speed or it won't prime, plus you need a drill that can handle the drag of the pump/oil.
Any suggestions on a capable drill. I really won't have much use for a corded drill after this so I'm not looking to spend a bunch.
Thanks, Jim
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I used my electric impact gun. My cordless and electric drills were no match for the job. You could borrow one.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Wouldn't a dist dummy shaft and body, connected to the oil pump attached to a drill, spin over long enough to push oil up and out the rockers for priming? That's all I have ever used for priming a motor in or out of the car.
You can hook up a flex hose any old pressure gauge and have it in front of you.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Wouldn't a dist dummy shaft and body, connected to the oil pump attached to a drill, spin over long enough to push oil up and out the rockers for priming? That's all I have ever used for priming a motor in or out of the car.
You can hook up a flex hose any old pressure gauge and have it in front of you.
As long as you have a housing or a primer with the grooved guide it will work, Some guys will only use a shaft with no housing. There is an oil feed in the back of the block that feeds into the groove in the housing, the groove allows the oil to get to the passage on the other side. With out a housing it just pumps back to the pan. I use a 1/2 electric drill and run it for about 2 minutes at a time, turning the crank 90* after each stop. I have tried to run longer but usually the drill will get hot sometimes start smoking. the thicker the oil, the harder it is on the drill. 15w-50 that the OP is using is pretty thick, It will put a lot of strain on the drill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode