Need Help with New BBC cam - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Mark

Need Help with New BBC cam

Hi new member here in need of some help. I have a 454 short deck bored out 0.030 over. With stock bottom end with all new bearings. I just got set of 781 heads that's been re worked and put back to stock settings . I know I will need to get new springs to match the new cam. The pistons I have in it are made by Speed pro H693CP30.. I need some help with someone that has Experience in building motors or that's had a set up something like mine... Im looking at Lunati cams Hydraulic and comp cams kits . What im looking for is a good low in power car will not be on long high way trips is going be used for cruise in and just a little hot rod around town. I have a new built th350 with a new Stall 2800 to 3000K
I want a lot of lope but also want the power.

Has anyone had any Experience in the Vodoo cam
had few im looking at 10110704K, 10110705K or 10110703K and seen this one that sounds good 644 Lunati...

Im hoping to have around 550HP not sure if I can get close to that or not.

Comp cams I have not found many that sounds good I know they are out therejust not sure whats be good for my motor.
Also I have tried adding up my compression I have came up with these 9.1 - 9.5 I would of thought I would be higher

1968 Camaro
with a big block 468
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Re: Need Help with New BBC cam

I have the voodoo 60204 (old number=10110704K ) in the same short block in my chevelle, it has 781 heads with bigger valves, roller rockers, RPM airgap and fitech 600hp system, 3200 stall, turbo 400, 3:73gears. Idle is great, perfect amount of lope. power is great all the way to 6500rpm ( I wont push it any further than that). Ill see if I can find a video of it. I built this motor a few years ago, The Cam was recommended by UDharold, He was the designer. I have never had it dyno'd, but seat of the pants= Its got enough HP and Torque. It will instantly smoke the tire (295/50/15 bfg) from a 30mph roll - from a stop its like driving on ice.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 12:36 PM
Team Member
Darin

When I was assembling my engine parts, I called the cam manufacturers directly.
Have all your information available, rear gears,tire height,stall,heads,compression,intake,carb cfm......

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 12:40 PM
Team Member
Darin

When I was assembling my engine parts I called a couple of cam manufacturers directly. then you can compare specs and get a feel for where you need to be with your cam.

Have all your cars specs. rear gears,trans,tire size,heads,compression,intake, carb cfm, etc...

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrim View Post
I have the voodoo 60204 (old number=10110704K ) in the same short block in my chevelle, it has 781 heads with bigger valves, roller rockers, RPM airgap and fitech 600hp system, 3200 stall, turbo 400, 3:73gears. Idle is great, perfect amount of lope. power is great all the way to 6500rpm ( I wont push it any further than that). Ill see if I can find a video of it. I built this motor a few years ago, The Cam was recommended by UDharold, He was the designer. I have never had it dyno'd, but seat of the pants= Its got enough HP and Torque. It will instantly smoke the tire (295/50/15 bfg) from a 30mph roll - from a stop its like driving on ice.

What compression are you running? Yeah if you can get me a video that be great im hoping to order cam Friday or Sat. Have you had any issue with the lifters?

1968 Camaro
with a big block 468
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

You are in luck.There was just this recent posting on cam selection from Matt69.
Might pay to read.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-eng...mendation.html

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark*68 View Post
What compression are you running? Yeah if you can get me a video that be great im hoping to order cam Friday or Sat. Have you had any issue with the lifters?
computed compression is 9.9:1, No problem with the lifters, I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 and add lucas ZDDP additive. I considered goin with the 60203, after speaking with Harold I changed my mind.

I'm trying to get a video posted but am having some difficulties. Ill get it fixed and post it sometime today
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
computed compression is 9.9:1, No problem with the lifters, I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 and add lucas ZDDP additive. I considered goin with the 60203, after speaking with Harold I changed my mind.

I'm trying to get a video posted but am having some difficulties. Ill get it fixed and post it sometime today
UD Harold? He gives good advice.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
You are in luck.There was just this recent posting on cam selection from Matt69.
Might pay to read.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-eng...mendation.html
Yup, that's me. I posted two videos of my Dyno pulls. I went with Lunati cam #50250 - hydraulic roller . I have Brodix Race Rite 270cc oval port cylinder heads and 10.5 to 1 compression. I made 447 horsepower and 458 foot lbs. of torque at the wheels. 8-9 " of vacuum at 900RPM idle. I am very happy with my combination.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
UD Harold? He gives good advice.
I was told he passed away about a year ago or so, He was incredibly smart and willing to help any one
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

UD Harold is also dead, (past about two years ago) so you will need a medium to contact him.

He was very knowledgeable (designed a number of the VooDoo grinds, and got the name UD from being the chief engineer designing UltraDyne cams), and helpful (sharing what he knows with users for free; unlike Harvey Crane who charged for consulting him).

Big Dave
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:

finally, Here is a few videos. these are both with the carb still installed, pre-FiTech

First one is shortly after cam break in, open headers if I remember correctly

this one is through 3" xpipe, 2 chamber mufflers, 2 1/2 tailpipes after the intake switch

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
UD Harold is also dead, (past about two years ago) so you will need a medium to contact him.

He was very knowledgeable (designed a number of the VooDoo grinds, and got the name UD from being the chief engineer designing UltraDyne cams), and helpful (sharing what he knows with users for free; unlike Harvey Crane who charged for consulting him).

Big Dave
Dave, I didn't know that. When he made suggestion to my last cam in '07, he sounded like he was sending those cam specs to someone else to grind up a billet cam. I have searched for my shipping tube but can't find it as the grinders was on that tube.
I feel like an idiot for not knowing he has passed. If I recall, visiting the Howard Cams booth at Sema, they may have bought all of Harold's designs. I undertand he had a part of Bullet and Lunati cams.

About two or so years ago , I was at a Sema show. Few guys and I were standing to a Edlebrock display and an older man came up to us and started talking to us. Short, stubby , chomping down on a cigar and a hat that was totally old school. As we talked, I noticed his name tag and realized it was none other than the "Cam Father" himself. Ed Iskenderian. We , old school guys, told him what an honor it was to speak with him and he walked away, chomping down on his cigar and hat almost sideways.

Not sure if he is still living but he had a large foot print on today's cam building.

Thanks for updating me on Harold.

Don
TC # 349

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

To my knowledge Ed is still with us, and still working. His contribution is often unrecognized, but he invented most of what we use today in the racing field with regard to cams, roller lifters, roller rockers, custom chrome-moly push rods and poly-locks. He is an engineering genius.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode