3Likes
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave
  • 2 Post By Larger Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

505 Stroker Build

Well its been a while since last post. For many reasons had I to scrap the 496, but good news is it forced me to build a 505 Stroker (454 2 bolt base).

Although I reused a lot of the same parts here is the new build sheet.

-AFR 290 Heads
-Custom Carrillo Pistons
-Forging 542
-Weight 585
-Dome 0.125
-Custom Cam
-Advertise 303/309
-Lift 643/60
-Sep 108
-Adv 5
-Stealth Manifold
-950CFM Quick Fuel Carb
-MSD Ignition

Engine was Dyno on a Stuska Depec W/ ADL load control

-605 TQ @ 4300
-568 HP @ 5400
-11.98 Air/Fuel
-Timing 36

All of that translated to 461 TQ and 423 HP on the chassis dyno (Don't know which Dyno Type)

Any comments/ thoughts /advice would be appreciated.

To note the original 496 measured on a Super Flow SF-8902, without the custom cam or pistons

-611 TQ @ 4400
-593 HP @ 5400
-13.6 Air/Fuel
-Timing 30

Have not yet driven the car yet, installing sub frame connectors and close ratio steering box. Should have it on the road next month when the weather breaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston Specs.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	177474   Click image for larger version

Name:	496 Dyno.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	177490  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Depac 505 Dyno.pdf (1,019.6 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 505 Stroker Build

25.52% parasitic loss through the drive train lets me guess you have a 4,200 RPM stall converter and a nine inch rear end.

The increase in initial timing over the 496 and the loss of horsepower indicates that this isn't a very efficient combination. I am of the opinion that your heads are a little on the small size for an engine with this displacement (I probably would have gone with the 315 cc CNC AFR head for this size motor; if I were buying new heads).

I am also assuming you increased the bore on your old 496 build as opposed to going to a longer stroke crank. The thinner cylinder bores also contribute to your horsepower drop as you are loosing more heat to the coolant (which will put a further strain on your cooling system). Cast iron is a lot worse at conducting heat compared to a metal like aluminum, but as you thin it down the then the heat can flow through it at a faster rate as the metal thickness decreases. It also becomes more flexible which will upset your ring seal.

My final comment is on the carburetor. A 4500 series carb makes a BBC a lot happier than the same size (cfm) 4150 series carb. People say you can not run a 4500 on the street (I did it for years), but I would point out that most cars built to this level are not considered daily drivers. I prefer the added performance over the look of originality with the smaller carb throats with a shinny open element air cleaner and a 396 decal on it.

Big Dave
zdld17 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Dave,
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I am actually running a dual disc Macleod back to a M22,12 bolt with 3:73s.

You are correct rebored with same crank and connecting rods. I get the heat issue just have a hard time believing its causing that large of a overall power loss given the blueprinted pistons and upgraded cam.

I also agree with the heads 290s are at the limit for the 505s and if I was buying new heads would have went with something a little larger. I also wondered it the 950 CFM was little under sized.

The other thing to note is that all 3 dynos (engine and chassis) were done by different people and different machines. Its a street car but might just have to take it t the strip to see what it can do.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Different dyno,s give different numbers so I would not worry about that. Only advice I can give is make sure your tires are up to the job, no sense having all that power to just burn rubber(although that is fun but expensive).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Dynos vary from each other (eddy or water brake), and the same dyno will yield different results on different days just due to changes in the weather. I only use a Dyno to tune as it offers easier access than leaning over the fender of a car at the track.

I don't really care what the ultimate number is as it is far too late once it is built to worry about it. I just take the info and add it to my note book which gives me direction for my next build (back then I was building a motor or two a week, so it was an ongoing learning experience). In retrospect, my memory was failing even twenty years ago which is why I wrote everything down (very important when you have to read what you wrote down were on different parts that are often fitted together a number of times). I caught an oil pump I thought from memory that I had torqued for final assembly; but my records indicated it had only been hand tightened (no record of being checked off on assembly build sheet with a torque value).

Big Dave
zdld17 and Steve69SS396 like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 17, 07:11 PM
ds1
Senior Tech
Dan

Garage

Im only 44 and have to keep records. I keep a notebook on carbs, jetting and engine size. I downloaded an engine assembly sheet. You have built WAY more engines than I have but things tend to get blurry when your trying to remember what you did months or years ago. My bracket engines are running 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode