Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By NH69Z28RS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

What is this, an early PCV system???

Took the top end off of my 67 327, built in late '66. Found this funny can looking thing, I believe it's attached to the vacuum port attachment at the rear arrow.

This was connected to full time vacuum on the intake, through what looked like a PCV valve. The PCV valve was at the back of the carb, not where you'd normally see it.

Anyone seen this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCV resized.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	177649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: What is this, an early PCV system???

it was the early crankcase breather. it originally had a metal tube that came out from the back of the block and down
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach62 View Post
Anyone seen this before?
That can works as an oil separator. Don't try running without it unless you plug the outlet hole and run another type of pcv system. If you try running the old pcv system without that can, you will suck a lot of oil into the intake manifold.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
it was the early crankcase breather. it originally had a metal tube that came out from the back of the block and down
Camaros never used the road draft tube that vented down onto the road. I think they were phased out by the early sixties.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Thanks everyone. So I could plug that off, and run a "modern" PCV system off of a valve cover breather??

The hose that went from that nipple to the intake had what appeared to be a modern PCV valve on it where it connected to the intake. Do I actually need the modern PCV valve at the intake if the oil separator is already there, if I chose to keep this current setup?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

The '67 327 had a PCV valve and an "open" PCV system shown here. Air is pulled in through the breather oil filler cap at the front of the intake manifold and the crankcase vapors are pulled from the canister at the back of the engine through the PCV valve by manifold vacuum at the front of the carb. Mine hasn't been altered and functions fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	177650  

1967 RS 327/275hp
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Do not throw that can out. Run of the mill vendors do not sell it. Paragon does sell the vent tube at the back of the block, limited quantity.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Mar 12th, 17 at 04:44 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
That can works as an oil separator. Don't try running without it unless you plug the outlet hole and run another type of pcv system. If you try running the old pcv system without that can, you will suck a lot of oil into the intake manifold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trland View Post
The '67 327 had a PCV valve and an "open" PCV system shown here. Air is pulled in through the breather oil filler cap at the front of the intake manifold and the crankcase vapors are pulled from the canister at the back of the engine through the PCV valve by manifold vacuum at the front of the carb. Mine hasn't been altered and functions fine.
Thank you everyone, thanks a ton Mike for that attachment. I saved it for later use.

Will any PCV valve work, or should I get the correct one? Mine is plumbed differently, it goes into the back of the carb.

One last question, I assume it gets connected to a full-time vacuum source, correct?

It seems this method would be prone to leaning out, particularly if the PCV valve fails. Seems like the connection to the air filter would make more sense from a potential leaning out position, agree?? A somewhat free flow of air AFTER the carb concerns me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach62 View Post
One last question, I assume it gets connected to a full-time vacuum source, correct?

It seems this method would be prone to leaning out, particularly if the PCV valve fails. Seems like the connection to the air filter would make more sense from a potential leaning out position, agree?? A somewhat free flow of air AFTER the carb concerns me.
Yes, full time manifold vacuum source, either from the intake manifold or base of the carburetor.

This method is the only method for a PCV system and no it is not prone to leaning out. The carburetor is adjusted with the PCV valve functioning so it is already compensated for. How do you think a PCV valve could "fail" to cause a lean condition, it would have to fail in the fully open position and even then it would not draw much more through it than it does with the plunger bouncing against the spring in normal operation?

A connection to the air filter is for a valve cover breather, the other half of a more modern PCV system. The breather lets fresh air into the valve cover if/when needed, it draws very little air out of the valve cover most of the time due to the minimal vacuum/suction in the air cleaner housing, the PCV valve has much greater vacuum/suction due to it being connected to a manifold vacuum source. The system you had worked fine, nothing to worry about or change unless you are going with a later engine block that doesn't have provisions machined in it for the same system, then a change would be necessary.
Coach62 likes this.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode