Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 18, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

1968 396 BBC tick

Hey guys, been awhile since I posted but still check in to read.
Long story short...

Car has less then 200 miles on it since engine rebuild (miles on it by me, never saw the road till I finished it enough to get on the road), however I did not rebuild engine, was done before I bought the car, finished the car up last year to the point where I could drive the car and enjoy it a bit. It's about 98% done at this point, just AC and heater hoses left. So engine was rebuilt over 10 years ago and finally saw road last year again.

Anyways... Buddy talked us into going and following them down to Good Guys with him and another friend. (he has 69 Mach 1 other buddy has 62 Chevy II) so we did, we got half way there and Camaro lost oil pressure, I pulled over, engine sounded fine, I thought maybe sending unit issue, but then started to hear valve train noise ticking, so I shut car off and called Hagatry to send roll back, they asked anything special, is aid car had drop springs and was low in front, they said ok, tow driver arrived and said car was to low to pull on roll back with winch and asked if I could pull it on, I said I really don't wanna start it back up, he said I am gonna tear your front vallance up if you don't get the car a little up at an angle to winch it. We were not in a great spot, so I did, the engine chatter was louder this time and I pulled it on roll back and shut off less than a minute, but I was pissed at having to start it.

I got it home, drained oil, Oil was clean, no metal or glitter.
Removed oil filter, cut top off and checked flutes, they were all clean.
I assumed at this point, pickup vibrated off or shaft spun collar on dizzy.
Pulled pan, oil pump itself had vibrated loose, so either builder forgot to torque or it needed lock nut. I had already bought new pump with pickup welded on and also new heavy duty shaft with metal and pinned sleeve. So put those in and filled with oil and new filter, primed pump and oil system and started car. Engine chattered a little at first that followed RPM and then seem it quieted down some. However, I still hear a tick that seems to follow engine RPM. It seems to get softer after awhile, I started car this morning and it's much quieter, but I think the tick is still there, but now wonder if it's just normal valve train noise and has always been there and I am obsessing cuz of the issue and the chatter before? The noise can not be heard with the hood closed, but with hood open you can hear it slightly, almost hear it better standing outside garage door so it kinda echos out??
So...
Hydrolic lifters, non roller, Lunata Cam, lil aggressive grind, but not crazy.
Good Oil pressure 42-45 at idle, raises over 60 psi when increased RPM

1) Normal Valve noise
2) Adjust valves cuz lifters collapsed when they lost oil?
3)Stuck or Collapsed Lifter?
4) Rod Bearing?
5) Something else?

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 18, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

Re: 1968 396 BBC tick

Check for loose rocker arm. May have taken out the cam. I would probably do a tear down after a no oil pressure event.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 18, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Check for an exhaust leak,you would be amazed how they can sound like a tick. Also do you have forged pistons? Piston slap can also sound like a tick until the engine warms up. Good thing you watched the oil pressure or you would need a new engine.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 18, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Sounds the same even after warm up, could be cam lobe I guess, but seems to idle fine and has no loss of power, no smoke out of exhaust or anything.

Agree could be rocker arm or nut. That's what I am going to try, but not really that bad so not sure if in my head making chase ghost at this point.

I thought exhaust tick as well and still might have slight one, but same sound as when first started up till lifters pumped, just a lot quieter now.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Well still chasing the tick noise, tried adjusting rocker nuts, a few seemed as they did not have as much tension as others, but really could not tell much about the sound changing while adjusting, took it to a guy I know who works on cars, he and another buddy of his who is also a mechanic said it sounds more like a broken or collapsed lifter to them. Said they would put new set of lifters in and new rocker nuts and see if that takes cares of it.

Also said the other shop that told me not to pull the rod caps off and check the bearing were full of crap, said he would have pulled them and put new bearings on while I had the pan off.

Thought about originally doing that, except for what performance engine place had told me when they cut and examined my filter. They said they saw no sign of bearing failure in the filter pleats at all and unless I saw glitter or metal in pan when I dropped the pan to leave rod bearing caps alone, as due to being a crush fit bearing and the bolts being a torque setting, I ran more of a risk of causing them to spin a bearing if I took them to check due bolt stretch or crush fit? The guy that looked at it the other day said this was not true and they pull caps and check bearings all the time and also replace them without tearing motor down.

Guess if the new lifters do not work, that will be the next step, Drop the pan AGAIN, and pull rod bearing caps and look and or replace the bearings, ugh, all because someone forgot to torque and use lock nut on oil pump.

I swear this car is cursed and just does not want to ever be finished and enjoyed.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 06:16 AM
John

Garage

With a mechanics stethoscope you should be able to determine if the sound is coming from the valve train (most likely) or the bottom end.

Pretty easy to tell if you wiped a lobe as the rocker would be noticeably loose compared to the others.
Larger Dave likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
With a mechanics stethoscope you should be able to determine if the sound is coming from the valve train (most likely) or the bottom end.

Pretty easy to tell if you wiped a lobe as the rocker would be noticeably loose compared to the others.
Better check for a wiped cam is to turn motor over by hand with a dial indicator. Every rocker should move the same amount if properly adjusted.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode