67 Camaro 454 BBC intake clearance. Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

67 Camaro 454 BBC intake clearance. Help!

I have a 67 Camaro with the stock flat hood. I just got my 454 back from the machine shop, and I need an intake. My head's have rectangular ports, and I need to find an intake that will fit with a Holly sniper set atop. The problem I'm finding is that all the intake I'm finding for rectangular ports, are high rise. And I don't believe that will work with my hood. All help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage
Re: 67 Camaro 454 BBC intake clearance. Help!

I have 2 of those winters rectangle port intakes and even if you use a drop base air cleaner with a flat hood it's going to be to high. you need to change your hood and let it rock with a nice high rise aluminum intake . I also have a hood clearance issue I wanna ask but I will hold off so you can get more replies
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

375 horse 396 used a Winters high rise manifold and a Holley carb with a dropped base air cleaner and it fit beneath a flat SS hood. Edelbrock dual plane intakes are no higher than the Winters. You could also use a Victor Jr. single plane intake, but not the Victor intake, as it is too tall.

This all assumes you have the motor sitting where it belongs.

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

Hey Big Dave the SS hoods are not flat they have a small rise . so what about this Dave do you know is a air gap will fit under a SS hood . I just bought a NOS ZZ383 450 HP 450 TQ engine and they didn't come with intakes . So Big Dave I know your a smart guy on engines so what will work best foe me ?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 03:10 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I have a sb sitting on bb frame mounts with a edelbrock victor jr. air gap under a 68 ss hood
I have just enough room to add a 1" spacer if I want
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

Question Kevin why do you run your small block on big block frame stands ? Thanx for the info on the air gap and the SS HOOD
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 11:13 PM
Probationer

I have to run a 2 inch air cleaner because I have very little clearance. I'm running a 396 on correct bb mounts and frame stands, edelbrock dual plane performer, holley carb, drop base, stock iron heads, SS hood.

There must be a drop base that is more than what I have right now but I have the lowest one that summit sells! Is anyonen sucessfully running this combo with a 3 inch filter?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_tom View Post
Question Kevin why do you run your small block on big block frame stands ? Thanx for the info on the air gap and the SS HOOD
no particular reason other than it works
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 12:57 PM
Apprentice
Darrell

67 with 427ci BB, Edelbrock RPM manifold, Holley Sniper, and drop base air cleaner all under the stock SS hood. Super tight fit, the wing nut for the air cleaner rubs the new under hood installation pad.

Doubt an air gap manifold will fit, too tall.

One last suggestion, if your body mounts are old and crushed, put new ones in you can gain a half inch of clearance

Fly Low and Avoid the Radar
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

The factory drop base air cleaner used a 3" filter and it was made specifically for a Holley carb :
Attached Images

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 18, 03:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Be careful with the drop base air cleaners. I personally had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get an air cleaner to fit under my cowl hood with my 572. After a couple of unsuccessful tries ordering from Summit, I called Edelbrock and Sceptre(they made low profile cold air intakes) to see if either made a low-profile air cleaner with a drop base. I found out from both companies that I needed more element than I had room for as a drop base takes away flow from your filter height by whatever the drop is and as far as the cold air intake, when I gave them my parameters, they said the air gap was too tight and I wouldn't get enough air flow. I know a 572 need more than a 454, but do some homework

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 08:46 PM
Apprentice
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowamouse View Post
67 with 427ci BB, Edelbrock RPM manifold, Holley Sniper, and drop base air cleaner all under the stock SS hood. Super tight fit, the wing nut for the air cleaner rubs the new under hood installation pad.

Doubt an air gap manifold will fit, too tall.

One last suggestion, if your body mounts are old and crushed, put new ones in you can gain a half inch of clearance

I'm considering the Sniper for my 68 SS 396/L78 with the flat SS hood.

(Can you clarify), are you using the stock GM drop base, or the Holley drop base?

I'm not sure if I like the Holley drop base as it appears to only drop by about an inch? Also it doesn't have a provision to connect the vent tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode