Starter - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jonathan

Starter

I have a 327 with powerglide and the starter went bad. It was not the original starter. How many teeth should be on the starter gear? The one i took off had 11. The OEM replacement I bought has 9. It’s the starter with two sizes of bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Starter

You generally count the teeth on the starter ring attached to the flex plate or the fly wheel, not the starter pinion gear. 153 teeth designates a 10-1/2 inch clutch on a base engine. 168 teeth on the 11 inch clutch fly wheels were used with big blocks and high horse small blocks. You have a base engine 327 (275 horse) which came with a 10-1/2 inch clutch manual or a 153 tooth PG flex plate. As such you use the starter with two bolts side by side as seen in this photo:

The orange colored starter has diagonal bolts to attach it to the block; so it is intended to fit a BBC or a high horse SBC (it will be for a 168 tooth flywheel). Hopefully you have the bolts side by side to match your starter ring or there will be teeth shed and added expense.

The picture below is of a high torque starter used on big blocks and small blocks factory rated at more than 300 horsepower:

Note the long brass tube that is spacing out the distance from the energizing lug at the front of the motor from the solenoid that supplies the power. This is for a 168 tooth flywheel. A base engine starter has a shorter electrical motor so the energizing lug at the front of the motor touches the solenoid directly without the long spacer.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jonathan

It’s the original flywheel. Does it matter how many teeth are on the starter? The bolt holes are straight across with one long and one short bolt.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red6a1 View Post
Itís the original flywheel. Does it matter how many teeth are on the starter? The bolt holes are straight across with one long and one short bolt.
With the bolt holes are straight across the starter should fit your PG. But yes the number of teeth on the pinion doers mater as they have to mesh with the ring gear.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 06:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

When I had so much trouble years ago after the 302 was built, once I found one that worked, when it got weak I went to the starter rebuilder and said "REBUILD THIS ONE, NO EXCHANGE".

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yea, I have a hand full of old steel starter heads laying around . those are the only ones that seem to work for "MY" 302 manual set up.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

probably a good idea to use the original nose cone on your new starter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

put a mini starter on

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode