• 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By chicoman
  • 3 Post By dave ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Switching to Electronic Ignition

After 18 years in storage, I finally have my 69 Camaro in my home garage. I am building a list of upgrades and/or repair that I'd like to have done within the next few months to make the car more reliable and improve drive-ability. Very little is original on the car, including the motor, which is a fairly stock 350. The car is driveable right now but I dont plan to drive it that often outside of joyrides, but I do plan ramping up performance in the future and adding EFI.

That said, it needs new plugs and wires, but I am thinking about upgrading to electronic ignition at the same.

I'm a novice, but also committed to doing as much of the work as I can. How challenging is switching over to electronic ignition? I can't imagine that it's that tough.

Any good kits out there that I should consider? I want to do it the right way, so any tips or feedback are much appreciated.

Thanks

OUTarHeel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 11:43 AM
John

Garage
Re: Switching to Electronic Ignition

Petronix. Simple and straight forward
130fe likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage

Just go HEI, im using 1 that comes in the gm crate motors with a recurve kit from moroso, flawless. Just make sure to remove the resitor wire and have 12 volt to it.
flat tire likes this.

1969 Camaro LM1

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

If you are serious about the EFI, then GM has a small diameter EFI feedback HEI distributor with a remote mounted ignition coil, that is what you should use for it when you go to fuel injection. It has an 8 piin HEI module, and works with an EFI computer to do the ignition timing. They are all over the place, used in GM EFI vehicles since the mid-1980's.

Until then, just drive it like it is.
Johnny B, ilikeike and RDW like this.

Last edited by dave ray; Sep 21st, 18 at 11:37 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 18, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

A regular large-cap HEI will hit the firewall of your 69.

Just do the pertronix conversion as Vegas mentioned. Fits under your small distributor cap.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 18, 09:32 AM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ray View Post
If you are serious about the EFI, then GM has a small diameter EFI feedback HEI distributor with a remote mounted ignition coil, that is what you should use for it when you go to fuel injection. It has an 8 piin HEI module, and works with an EFI computer to do the ignition timing. They are all over the place, used in GM EFI vehicles since the mid-1980's.

Until then, just drive it like it is.
For EFI with timing control,this is the way to go,
I've used the GM one also, and made sure I had the genuine GM module.
Like Dave said, real easy to find,and fairly cheap too.

I'm using the Holley Dual sync now with the HP controller.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 18, 10:15 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm a fan of the Breakerless SE system made by M&H Electronics. Breakerless Ignition

It uses the factory standard one wire, has reverse polarity protection and key left on protection just like the pertronix conversion modules do. It also runs original and aftermarket Tachometers without modification or filters for the most part.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 18, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Petronix. Simple and straight forward
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I'm a fan of the Breakerless SE system made by M&H Electronics. Breakerless Ignition

It uses the factory standard one wire, has reverse polarity protection and key left on protection just like the pertronix conversion modules do. It also runs original and aftermarket Tachometers without modification or filters for the most part.

Brian
A Breakerless system in presently on a car after dyno. Stock build, 327/275. Compare Breakerless to Pertronix in aspects of quality and reliability.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 02:45 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Switching to Electronic Ignition

Scott - I can't speak as to the Pertronix, as I have only used the BreakerlessSE in a couple cars and did so for the 100% stock appearance, and using stock factory wiring. And that was key for me. Resistance wire remains in place, so if the vehicle is 100% stock this goes in to just replace the points. Easy and done.

But in the nutshell I think both are fantastic performance modernization's for our rides and reduces the time spent during a tune-up. However it does remove the fun and joy of setting dwell on a set of new points.

On the whole I think they both get the job done replacing the points, the only option missing from the BreakerlessSE is the adjustable rev limit that Pertronix has, but BreakerlessSE works with most aftermarket rev limiters if you need to use one. Most of the Pertronix units have the same ability to over come dizzy bearing wear and wobble. BreakerlessSE also has a three year warranty. Compare Breakerless Ignition systems with BreakerlessSE

John does great work on Pro style rides and maybe can speak to the advantages of using the Pertronix units in less than stock situations to give you a true comparison.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleCat View Post
A regular large-cap HEI will hit the firewall of your 69.

Just do the pertronix conversion as Vegas mentioned. Fits under your small distributor cap.

I have the "large cap" HEI distributor in my 67 with a small block; no issues with it hitting the firewall at all.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

If it's a simple and effective solution you're looking to do, go Pertronix. I've done two of them.
The most recent, in our '68 'vert. It sat for 32 years. Pertronix went in it and I've never looked back. As per instructions, to get the hall coil gap right, I did put one little shim in the distributor, but is easy to do.
It uses your original distrib, weights, etc, you simply remove the points, install the pertronix items, wire it (extremely easy and well described in instructions), put your original distributor cap back on, and no one is any to the wiser.
You can get Flamethrower coil(to compliment the pertronix ignition box) that looks like a stock coil also.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8

Last edited by 53Crestline; Oct 5th, 18 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added details
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 10:23 AM
Apprentice

ORIGINAL GM HEI is the way to go. Have done this conversion in many cars in the past. The GM ignition is correct looks right and can perform as good as ANY aftermarket fireballs out there. Did it to my 68 Camaro a couple of years back and it was a nice upgrade from points. Go down to the fuse box with a trouble light and tur on the ignition switch to find our which or the auxiliary ports comes on. Make a nice automotive grade wire with the correct HEI plug sold on ebay and other places on it and it would look factory.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 11:18 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Also hard to beat an MSD ready to run. What ever you do just replace your resistor wire from the points setup.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 08:59 PM
Apprentice
Bob

I replace my points ignition with a Pertronix Ignitor 111 distributor and coil.Easy swap.Replace the resistor wire with a 14 gage wire to handle 12 volts.Remove the resistor wire from the bulk head connector on the firewall and replace with the 12 volt wire.You will need a Packard 56 style of connector to plug into the bulkhead.Pertronix distributor looks like a stock ignition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode