HELP 454 swap 1968 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Larger Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

HELP 454 swap 1968

Hi, I just did the swap on my 68 to a 454 big block. I'm still debating which headers it is very frustrating since I'm on my secon pair that hits the steering box even with the correct BB frame mounts..., My questions are which crossmember would I need running my TH350 tranny? I have build the TH 350 to take 800 HP so is safe to use with my 454. The tranny is original to the car and the crossmember is the original for 350 V8. I have read that all you need to do is re-drill the crossmeber 3/4 toward the passenger side and 1/2 forward. Still don't know if my 350 flywheel should be the one to use here if you know which flywheel I need I appreciate your input! What is you take on this? I appreciate your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: HELP 454 swap 1968

The 454 (and the 502) is externally balanced; and it needs an externally balanced flex plate. These are all 168 tooth flex plates so you will need to buy a different starter to match the 168 tooth starter ring gear (you have a 153 tooth flex plate from the SBC 350).
Yes the BBC is offset by your motor mount but it has to sit straight front to back so the transmission cross-member also has off set holes to move the back of the motor over. That will give more room around the steering gear box.

Here is a picture of the difference between the two:

BBC Muncie cross-member on the bottom

Big Dave
Everett#2390 and Just 1 More like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Follow Dave's advice on mounts and crossmember and BBC headers will not be a problem.
I wish you the best of luck on the THM350 you have installed in your correct year Camaro.
I had one in a 425HP 350 CID and even with an aftermarket case-hardened intermediate sprag, had a B&M Shift Improver kit, it broke 5 times.
The sixth time it broke, I got pretty good in repairing overnight for next day's racing, I installed a PG w/GER 3500 t/convertor and ran the set-up for another 7 years and improved the ET & MPH.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hi Big Dave,
All good info. there! I had a flex plate in my shed from another big block and now i noticed that big counter weight on the plate, I guess that is what you are talking about right? See the pick below. Also, My car is going to go together with the TH350 that I had built, is that Muncie cross member compatible with and Automatic TH350? Or do I have to modify my stock original 350 crossmember?since first gen Camaro never had big block and Th350 combo therefore no crossmember was made to accommodate this setu. Also on the starter they make a big Block starter you mention? I thought they were the same. Thax a lot brother for the input I really want to get this right!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 18, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Crossmember will work - use a BBC/manual(4-spd).
454's have a counterweighted flex plate unless balanced internally by aftermarket shop.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode