3Likes
  • 3 Post By X-77 keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brady

Garage
327 Ignition Condenser

Hey guys, I have a 327 (1962 block) with points ignition. It starts and runs, but I was looking at my ignition system and ran into a surprise. I have a condenser connected to the coil bracket with the lead going up to the + side of the coil (along with the yellow wire from the starter and a white wire to the firewall). The negative side of the coil goes to the points in the distributor. I took the distributor cap off yesterday and found another condenser inside of the distributor. This surprised me but I am new to this and learning as I go. I have seen diagrams where a ballast resistor is connected to the positive side of the coil, and diagrams with the condenser connected on the negative side of the coil, but have not found any diagrams showing the way mine is connected. This car is new to me and it is possible that it came into my possession with stuff connected incorrectly. I am reaching out in hopes that your experience will help me understand why this is connected like this. Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The condenser on the coil is for radio noise suppression I believe.
dyno jonn, allanjs and flat tire like this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 18, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Re: 327 Ignition Condenser

All GM divisions, points type distributors, OEM p/n 1852715, radio noise suppressor. Mounts with the flat blade slotted screw on the break out bracket for the coil, and wire affixes to the coil positive (+) post. This filter mainly helps reduce ignition "noise" for both AM and CB radio systems.

Last edited by dave ray; Oct 2nd, 18 at 07:23 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brady

Garage
Re: 327 Ignition Condenser

thank you sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode