Holley Carb ID - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Holley Carb ID

Can anyone ID this carb? It's supposed to be a Holley 950cfm, but I don't recognize the cross over tube unless it was an off road truck carb. I don't have the list number. Obviously someone tried to make it "pretty"...
A friend owes me some money and wants to give me a couple of carbs towards it. I usually don't pay more than $75 for a used Holley unless it's something special. I'm trying to do a favor, but I don't want to mess around with a knock off Holley or something.

Thanks.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 10:28 AM
John

Garage
Re: Holley Carb ID

https://www.google.com/search?q=holl...daYow66EzCJ_M:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401603239444

Looks like the vent hoop was added

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

That makes sense. I'm thinking it was something someone built out of an HP body or something. The blocks seem like they aren't Holley. No vacuum ports. Also, I think the body is on backwards. I'm planning on stripping the paint or repainting it to my liking and seeing if I can use it on my new motor if it's any good. He's shipping it to me.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Hard to find the LIST number when some chuckle head destroys the carb by hacking the air horn off it. It MIGHT be that the tops of the metering blocks may have an 'L' number, or, LIST. Let me know when and if you find a number on the blocks, I have the complete Holley LIST number catalogue, I used to work at Holley. It also looks like it started life as a Marine carb, for a boat, they use that sort of bowl vent crossover.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Looks like a Barry Grant.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 18, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

If it is a Holley it is a member of the HP series though I suspect it could be a Proform knock off or a Quick Fuel just as easily. Billet aluminum metering plates where invented by Barry Grant but every body (including Holley) offers them now. Fuel bowls appeared to be just painted, not anodized a different color, the way the manufacturers do it.

Measure the venturi (narrowest part of the throat out side the boosters) and butterfly size to determine cfm. The original Holley 950 cfm (list 3916-1S) was a three barrel with the secondaries dumping into a big oval, instead of two separate bores); but they recast the 1050 cfm and 950 cfm 4150 series to have their own carb main body.

https://www.ebay.com/i/262767834877?chn=ps

vs a new Holley 950 cfm four barrel

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...EaAq-8EALw_wcB

Holley will recoat your cab with the original gold Iridited color finish for a fee (something like a $100 if I remember correctly).

Big Dave
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ray View Post
Hard to find the LIST number when some chuckle head destroys the carb by hacking the air horn off it. It MIGHT be that the tops of the metering blocks may have an 'L' number, or, LIST. Let me know when and if you find a number on the blocks, I have the complete Holley LIST number catalogue, I used to work at Holley. It also looks like it started life as a Marine carb, for a boat, they use that sort of bowl vent crossover.
Nothing has been hacked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post
Looks like a Barry Grant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
If it is a Holley it is a member of the HP series though I suspect it could be a Proform knock off or a Quick Fuel just as easily. Billet aluminum metering plates where invented by Barry Grant but every body (including Holley) offers them now. Fuel bowls appeared to be just painted, not anodized a different color, the way the manufacturers do it.

Measure the venturi (narrowest part of the throat out side the boosters) and butterfly size to determine cfm. The original Holley 950 cfm (list 3916-1S) was a three barrel with the secondaries dumping into a big oval, instead of two separate bores); but they recast the 1050 cfm and 950 cfm 4150 series to have their own carb main body.

https://www.ebay.com/i/262767834877?chn=ps

vs a new Holley 950 cfm four barrel

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...EaAq-8EALw_wcB

Holley will recoat your cab with the original gold Iridited color finish for a fee (something like a $100 if I remember correctly).

Big Dave
Thanks Dave and rodent. After doing a ton of research (looking at pics to compare), I think either one of you could be correct. I think it's an HP type, but one that has been customized. You can see ghost marks from where the original numbers should have been. There's a "D" that I can read on the metering block. Maybe AED? The black appears to be original. It's inside the metering blocks and on the body and looks pro done. The guy I got it from had the bowls powder coated. I'm going to change that...
It's definitely a 4150. I rebuilt it this weekend and put it on my 69. I installed 31cc accelerator diaphragms, 31 squirters, and 78/80 jets. The car runs awesome and I'm able to get my AFR gauge looking decent around 14, but I feel like I'm leaving a lot on the table. Even though I had problems setting that 850cfm up, the car seemed to have a lot more nut. It could be because it's just so smooth now though.
I'll take some measurements Dave and see what I come up with. The butterflies are 180 and have been drilled.

Semper Fi!

Last edited by HawkX66; Nov 5th, 18 at 05:12 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Is it going on a small block? If so, 950 CFM is quite a large flow for it. It will most likely run poorly and/or lousy gas mileage. I have found that for a stock or slightly modified small block, 600 to 650 CFM is a good choice for drive ability and fuel mileage.

Check the jet sizes; they may also be way too much for a small block.

When I was young and stupid, I always thought that bigger was better. Never bothered to read up on CFM sizes, and what worked best for an engines CID size and breathing capability. Now that I'm older (but still carry stupid traits at times), I read and take the advice of the manufacturers recommendations, along with hot rodding tricks and advice.

If you do try it on any engine that is not set up to breathe and accept 950 CFM's worth of air, don't blame the carb if it performs poorly. It will most likely be too much for the engine.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Is it going on a small block? If so, 950 CFM is quite a large flow for it. It will most likely run poorly and/or lousy gas mileage. I have found that for a stock or slightly modified small block, 600 to 650 CFM is a good choice for drive ability and fuel mileage.

Check the jet sizes; they may also be way too much for a small block.

If you do try it, don't blame the carb if it performs poorly. It will most likely be too much for the engine.
No. Big block.

Semper Fi!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

The blocks look like the Holley billet ones I have, they were all black, I sanded them down the outside, they look like yours, main body is an Hp, proform or add, measure the bore size of the baseplate as well should be an 850 base with the 180 throttle plates, 172 is the 750

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
The blocks look like the Holley billet ones I have, they were all black, I sanded them down the outside, they look like yours, main body is an Hp, proform or add, measure the bore size of the baseplate as well should be an 850 base with the 180 throttle plates, 172 is the 750
Thanks Jeff. Once I get back down to my house this weekend, I'll measure the bores. The base plate does have 180 plates.
Here are a few better pics of when I rebuilt it last weekend.

Knurled idle adjustment screws and the "D".

Semper Fi!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode