Starter solenoid - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 18, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Starter solenoid

Can anyone tell me what color the solenoid for the steel casing and is there a way to test the solenoid off the starter. Also is there a way to test a wiper motor switch. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 18, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: Starter solenoid

The solenoid body is black and the Bakelite cap is usually black too. Most commonly used Delco number for cars from 1957 thru 1975 is D969 or 1114356. Far as I know they can't be tested off of the starter. As far as the wiper switch, it grounds either one or two circuits from the wiper motor. The wiper motor itself is always "hot".

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 18, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Thanks Jon the cap is still brown in color with the delco logo in the middle, it it still black. Again thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 18, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by old person View Post
Can anyone tell me what color the solenoid for the steel casing and is there a way to test the solenoid off the starter. Also is there a way to test a wiper motor switch. Thanks for any help.
Can't help you on the color as I don't want to be a "poser" but if you have a decent ohm meter you can check the solenoid to see if the windings show a resistance or an open. This would be just a very basic test for one thing but one could put it on the starter and on the car to see how it does in real life. On an original solenoid on my 68 Chevy II Nova, I was comfortable taking it apart and inside there is a disc as well as a bolt head that when the solenoid get's activated they connect to each other and on mine the bolt head had some pitting and wear and I was able to rotate the bolt a half a turn to get it to an undisturbed spot and did a little sanding on the disc to clean off some pitting and reassembled things. Inside the solenoid cap are other things like a tab for connecting a 12V output for the ignition coil when the solenoid is activated and this may need attention. On the solenoid there is a steel slug that is attached to the starter and it gets pulled into it and if this assembly is not working as it should one could assume it's a bad solenoid but may very well issues somewhere else. If you do a google search, there should be exploded views of the starter and solenoid to help you get an idea as to what is going on with the starter and the solenoid.

As far as the wiper switch, if you know what terminals connect to other ones when the switch is in different positions, one could use an ohm meter to check things but here again too, maybe wire it up like it would be in real life so you can verify things in a real life situation.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 18, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Wiper switch, as suggested, applies a ground to the speed selected.
You may have to remove switch from dash and polish/sand back side of dash for better continuity.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 18, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Thanks to both of you I will need to check out both the starter and solenoid. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode