• 1 Post By satz28
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 2 Post By Larger Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Solid roller vs hyd

I tried to copy Daveís post from the thread on vacuum here but its over my head or thumbs...... anyway i was reading on another site how some guys were turning to street solid rollers to mitigate the issues with the beehives. Is that rational?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 10:47 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Solid roller vs hyd

Maybe due to the weight difference of hyd Vs. solid lifters ?

Over my head also, but IF/WHEN I go back to a solid, I'll be calling a buddy at CamMotion

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The reason solid rollers got a bad rap on the street is they require oil to the rollers. In a drag car it is oiled by windage (splash lubrication). On the street to survive you have to use a self oiling solid roller invented by Ed Iskedarian. I use his Red Zone brand to give him credit and my cash to keep him innovating, though Comp has copied Ed's design and sells theirs for less.

A solid will rev higher than a hydraulic roller because it is lighter. To keep the valve closed at high RPM you have to increase seat pressure which you can do with a hydraulic roller; but at high RPM, the lifter wants to fly off of the ramp of the cam lobe. To keep control of the valve, and prevent floating lifters you need a lot more open pressure than a hydraulic tappet can withstand (usually they collapse if open load exceeds 350 pounds of pressure).

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Dave, assume the grind is a decent hot street grind and not a balls to the wall race grind, does a solid roller offer advantages/disadvantages with regard to a hydraulic.
Doug, i heard a bit of this from CamMotion too. I didnt know whether it was marketing or sound engineering though.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The hydraulic cam will be low to no maintenance depending upon how aggressive the ramps are. It will limit the RPM of the motor because you can not run a stiff enough spring with a hydraulic lifter to spin it above 5,800 to 6,400 RPM depending upon the weight of your valves. If you have enough displacement to make the level of torque that you are satisfied with, then the choice is going with the hydraulic.

If you have a 302 you need the revs to make any power at all. Which is why I love watching weekend warriors trying to back in their Z/28 Camaro into a parking space at the car show while stalling it two or three times doing so in front of a large crowd. With the same DZ 302 and a hydraulic cam out of a 283 he could back it in without any drama, but it wouldn't make a lot more power than a standard 275 horse 327; despite having better induction and heads.

Drivability is the difference between a race car and a street car.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 04:14 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
True statement.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 04:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
The hydraulic cam will be low to no maintenance depending upon how aggressive the ramps are. It will limit the RPM of the motor because you can not run a stiff enough spring with a hydraulic lifter to spin it above 5,800 to 6,400 RPM depending upon the weight of your valves. If you have enough displacement to make the level of torque that you are satisfied with, then the choice is going with the hydraulic.

If you have a 302 you need the revs to make any power at all. Which is why I love watching weekend warriors trying to back in their Z/28 Camaro into a parking space at the car show while stalling it two or three times doing so in front of a large crowd. With the same DZ 302 and a hydraulic cam out of a 283 he could back it in without any drama, but it wouldn't make a lot more power than a standard 275 horse 327; despite having better induction and heads.

Anybody that killís their 302Zís backing into a sparking spot, shouldnít be driving the car.
68rs406 likes this.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 05:09 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
Anybody that killís their 302Zís backing into a sparking spot, shouldnít be driving the car.
The 69Z I bought new was my daily driver for 5 plus years. I actually had a trailer hitch on it and towed a 16 ft outboard ski boat. Took it to the mountains to play in the snow and everything else. I don't recall ever STALLING it backing into parking
satz28 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I believe ya John, and Rob; but I mentioned a weekend warrior who bought this Z to recover his long lost youth, though he probably never had a hot car before. He drives his Lexus or BMW mini van most of the time (not used to a manual). I see them all the time at the local car show.

You have to admit with three pedals trying to back in at idle the Z doesn't exactly overpower with it's 30/30 cam at low RPM. He probably couldn't heel toe it if his life depended upon it.

Like Rob said he doesn't deserve to own one but he has more than enough cash to buy one.

Big Dave
satz28 and Vega$69 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode