2Likes
  • 1 Post By bucko
  • 1 Post By ilikeike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Header install

Well thought I'd treat myself to a set of summit racing's full length ceramic coated headers for my 68. Pretty good price, the quality seems good and came with everything to mount them. Removal of the old manifolds, starter, plugs, steering box and bar went really smooth and quick. Mounting the new headers wasn't too bad, the fitament was surprisingly well. I've always heard stories of needing to finess them to fit. Smooth sailing until everything else needed to go back in... found out the hard way I needed to order a new alternator bracket, also found out the hard way I need more hardware for that as well. Installing the spark plugs...what a chore, not to mention getting a boot or two back on behind the pipes. Oh my rag joint tore in the process so I bought a new rubber center and can't figure out how to remove the old joint and hardware. I'm figuring out why everyone has always said what a pain in the butt they are to get on. I started it up tonight without having the rest of the exhaust welded up yet. Sounds mean! Lastly after I set up my welder to burn the pipes in I found out my 220v 3 prong plug body doesn't fit in my new houses 4 prong dryer recepticle. Guess a quick trip to home depot will solve that. Thanks for the vent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 11:34 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Header install

If it was easy everyone would do it. Lol. Sounds like youre having fun.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

curious as to why you had to remove the steering box
I never have on my 68

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Probably didnt have to. however, when I was mocking them up I was having a lot of trouble squeezing them in place so i just removed the 3 mounting bolts and rag joint so I could hang/move the steering box down a couple inches. It made the job a lot easier for me to get the headers in.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I have a set on my 67, and they need some "dressing up". They were not coated in any fashion, and now they look burned. I want to use some wrapping, and it will be much easier to remove, wrap, then re-install. It does not appear that I will have too bad an issue, as I don't have "power anything"; just one belt driving the waterpump and alternator.

Anytime I think its going to be a big headache working on the 67 Camaro's engine bay, I walk over to my 2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax and open its hood. I spend maybe 20 to 30 seconds staring at its engine compartment, then turn to the Camaro and smile at its simplicity!
69Z28 likes this.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 06:14 AM
Team Member
Darin

Build or buy one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS...-306631842-_-N

But since you own a welder, may as well do it right and run a welder circuit for your next project.
Just 1 More likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

As much as hiccups along the way can be a pain, I love working on my 68. Can't wait to finish it up and see how it sounds and drives. I know what you mean about modern vehicles. I just picked up a '17 Z71 silverado Sunday, a lot more wiring, sensors, less spaces etc... should be fun down the road when I need to wrench on that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
Build or buy one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS...-306631842-_-N

But since you own a welder, may as well do it right and run a welder circuit for your next project.
That's a great idea! Might pick one of those up instead of swapping out my plug body. My dryer outlet is about 10 feet from my garage and I have about 50 feet of rated cable.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Finished up the header install. Surprisingly my car sounds more quiet at idle, sounds amazing with the pedal to the floor. I feel my car has better throttle response and pulls better than it did. I'm glad I changed out that old worn out and torn rag joint, my cars steering is night and day, tighter wheel and elminated nearly all the play in the wheel. I tightened up the play between my clutch rod and arm and my clutch feels better. I have a few minor issues I need to sort out such as my steering wheel position is 180 degrees out, I had it straight when I installed the rag joint. My clutch return spring goes straight between the header pipes and rattles against them, I need to put some wire insulation around my starter wires and plug wires. Do you guys use a heat shield for your starter with headers? I took mine out and need to modify it to fit. It was a pain in the butt getting these things installed but overall i am very happy with the outcome in performance and sound and happy with tightening up my steering play.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 06:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have a set on my 67, and they need some "dressing up". They were not coated in any fashion, and now they look burned. I want to use some wrapping, and it will be much easier to remove, wrap, then re-install. It does not appear that I will have too bad an issue, as I don't have "power anything"; just one belt driving the waterpump and alternator.
You could send them out to be ceramic coated. When reinstalled you never again have to fool with them.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
You could send them out to be ceramic coated. When reinstalled you never again have to fool with them.
^^^this, I have always used Jet Hot for coating
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

check out cerakote!!!
that is what is on my headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode