Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoker67
  • 1 Post By buenymayor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

69 ZL1 engine info....Help!

Hi everybody. I bought this engine from a friend and I'm looking for info.

Obviously this is a Aluminum Big Block produced by the winters foundry. It has the correct Casting # of 3946052 on the back, but the 2 appears to be a little smaller than the others. Is that correct? I've never been able to find pics of an original casting #.

Also, I can not find a date on the engine anywhere. The only other # is on the drivers side, rear. It is 05317.

The main caps have been changed, so no date there either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4382.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	222735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4383.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	222737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	222739  

Name:	IMG_4386.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	222741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4385.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	222743  
realzed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 69 ZL1 engine info....Help!

Can't help you with your questions, but nice purchase!
realzed likes this.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Chevrolet by the Numbers has this, 3946052, 1969 Camaro, Corvette 427/430 4 bolt.

Text is such,

"This special aluminum block was installed in sixty-nine 1969 Camaros, and two Corvettes during the 1969 model year. This was the only factory-installed aluminum block ever installed in a Chevrolet production car. The primary purpose of this engine was to produce an all-out race engine to the general public, with a significant weight reduction as well. This block had steel cylinder wall sleeves and 4-bolt main bearing caps. It was also produced for service applications and was a by-product of Can-Am racing technology. It also featured special provisions for dry-sump oiling. The lifter gallery has specially cast bosses to accept the four extra studs used to anchor the cylinder heads. See Chapter 5 for head details. There are reports that the first ZL-1 blocks had the casting #3946053 but that has yet to be proven".

Take a look at the OP's post, his engine number is 3946052, and, in the text, it mentions a not proven item, another block number 3946053, and, in CbtN, there is NO 3946053 listed. Since CbtN deals with production line numbers only, the second block number may well be a CERV number.

No date code info. However, if I had to speculate on a date code from those 5 numbers, 05317, I'd think the 05 is the month, May, the 31 is the day, 31st, the 7 would be the year, as cast, 1967. I do believe these engines were used in earlier than 1969 Can-Am cars, and other super specialty applications, and it is not beyond thinking they had a few engines that were produced before 1969 for "other stuff", or, in anticipation of producing another vehicle application, or, spare parts production, engines. It is a very remote possibility that this engine wasn't intended for a production Camaro, but was a parts department spare engine that got sold outright. We may never know, but, it may well be a lot more historic than it appears. This might well be the reason for the smaller number 2.

Are there any numbers stamped on a pad at the front of the block on the pass side, just in front of the r/h head????? I can't see clearly if there is a pad at the front of the right hand head deck face or not. CERV block wouldn't have one.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

There are no #'s on the pad or by the oil filter.

I was always lead to believe that the CAN AM blocks were solid blocks ( no water jackets) and no side motor mounts.

The smaller 2 is what confuses me. It's the correct #. I can't imagine they would have a specific mold and a smaller 2 be the only difference.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
James

I have seen pictures a few other blocks with that casting number and they are all small 2.

05317 looks like a date code, but another block with same casting number has 060-17 there. Look close, is there a dash?

Screw in plugs are a clue, and so is bore size if you can measure it. May be a Can Am block. Still valuable, but not as much as a 1969 ZL1 block.

A bit of a pig in a poke there, until you find out exactly what it is. Easy to get burned on that high dollar stuff, so I stay away.

Super Car Registry would be your best source for decoding. Owner there has had many real cars including ZL1's.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Ragtop View Post
I have seen pictures a few other blocks with that casting number and they are all small 2.

05317 looks like a date code, but another block with same casting number has 060-17 there. Look close, is there a dash?

Screw in plugs are a clue, and so is bore size if you can measure it. May be a Can Am block. Still valuable, but not as much as a 1969 ZL1 block.

A bit of a pig in a poke there, until you find out exactly what it is. Easy to get burned on that high dollar stuff, so I stay away.

Super Car Registry would be your best source for decoding. Owner there has had many real cars including ZL1's.
No dash in the # and it has screw in freeze plugs. Bore size doesn't help since it's been changed internally.

I'll try the Super Car Registry.

Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
James

Pic of casting number with small 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ZL1 block 3946052 small.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	222753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode