327 Intake/Carb combo - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

327 Intake/Carb combo

My base Camaro has a 327 with the 2 bbl carb. The carb needs to be rebuilt, but I'd much prefer to move to a 4bbl carb and intake. I want the intake to be able to mate with the stock heads for now, but eventually on after market aluminum heads.

So I am looking for thoughts/reasons on a 4bbl carb an intake combo, that would be best suited for my application. I'm open to older intake/carb combos, if they can still be found. Input doesn't have to be based on current available models.

Thanks!
BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 327 Intake/Carb combo

FWIW I am currently swapping my stock intake/2 brl for a Edelbrock 2703 (has oil fill tube) and their 1406 600 cfm carb. Install should be plug & play. The 2701 intake is without oil fill tube but you would need valve covers with breathers

My accelerator pump in the 2 brl puked so not spending any $ fixing it

intake
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2703

Carb (@ JEGS it comes with free air cleaner)
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1406/10002/-1

Fuel Line/filter
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8134/10002/-1

AN fitting for fuel filter to 5/16" rubber fuel line
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/100844/10002/-1
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

275 horse (same engine but different year was rated at 300 horse) is the base engine in a lot of Chevys. Used a cast iron intake and a Rochester QuadraJet. That is the most comon combination, But as posted any small four barrel (based upon cfm rating of 490 to 650 cfm) will work. The smaller the carb the better it will handle on the street. Bigger the carb the better your top end charge (with old valve springs and hydraulic flat tappets that is going to be the limiting factor on your top end charge not your carb size).

All carbs work the same and meter fuel to air based upon engine demand. One brand isn't better at making power than any other. Whether you buy a Rochester QuadraJet, Carter, Holley, Webers or eight one barrel Solex carbs it all makes the same power as the other if the total cfm is the same.

Difference between brands (and the price range) depends upon how easy and complete is the ability to tune the carb. If you don't know what an air bleed is, you don't need them. If you are not going to change jet size (to reflect a change in cam or elevation) then you do not need adjustable jets. A simpler (non-adjustable carb) is cheaper and less likely to get you in trouble.

By the way the issue with a stock manifold and a Rochester QuadraJet, isn't with the nonadjustable QuadraJet, but with the old style cast iron manifold that was designed for ease of production (square corners and straight runners) as compared to modern wet flowed computer designed manifolds (curving runners with variable size depending upon the fuel air charge velocity).

Big Dave

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
FWIW I am currently swapping my stock intake/2 brl for a Edelbrock 2703 (has oil fill tube) and their 1406 600 cfm carb. Install should be plug & play. The 2701 intake is without oil fill tube but you would need valve covers with breathers

My accelerator pump in the 2 brl puked so not spending any $ fixing it

intake
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2703

Carb (@ JEGS it comes with free air cleaner)
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1406/10002/-1

Fuel Line/filter
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8134/10002/-1

AN fitting for fuel filter to 5/16" rubber fuel line
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/100844/10002/-1

Thanks for the feedback!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
275 horse (same engine but different year was rated at 300 horse) is the base engine in a lot of Chevys. Used a cast iron intake and a Rochester QuadraJet. That is the most comon combination,
Big Dave
Big Dave, thanks for all that information. I was told that the Rochester 2 bbl carb, is the original carb on the engine. I have no idea of the CFM. Taking what you said, it seems that it's a good move to go to an after market aluminum intake, and 4 bbl carb, but don't be all that concerned over manufacturers.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Two barrel is a 277 cfm when tested the same way they test four barrels. Four barrels are tested at a different vacuum under the carb than a two barrel is for whatever reason ASME decided upon back in the forties.

A Quadrajet's primary circuit (at idle between 1-1/2" and 3" Hg) only operates at 160 to 225 CFM, whereas a Holley idles at between 300 and 425 CFM (half of it's total cfm rating). So you could bolt on the biggest QuadraJet and still be no worse off than your two barrel now. BUT when (and if, since it depends upon the load on the motor) those big barn doors in the back swing open you get a lot more carb (and that famous BaWaaaa sound). Put a screw in the linkage to force the rear barrels open and you get a QuadraBog! (This applies to doing this to any vacuum secondary carb).

Q-jets are also highly adaptable to different engine sizes with the changing of primary and secondary metering rods and jets to obtain a cfm rating of 630 to 870 cfm thanks to their variable venturi technology. It is nearly impossible to get a QuadraJet that is too large (the biggest cfm size appeared atop a Buick 455 and the Cadillac 500).

Big Dave
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 01:32 PM
Tech Team
Chris

I'm running an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap and a 750 Holley on mine. It runs well. A 750 is probably a bit too much for my (and yours) 327 if you go by conventional wisdom, but that is what was on it when I got it. It seems to do just fine, though. I did, however, replace the manifold. It used to be an Edelbrock Torker II, which worked reasonably well. It did have a one-inch spacer on it.

If you do go decide to use the Performer Air Gap, you will have to remove the baffle canister (or whatever its called) in the lifter valley and plug the hole in the back of the block where vacuum line running to the carburetor/manifold is inserted. The manifold dips too low into the valley to allow fitment. If you are not running a PCV system, you will have to install one (mine had a PCV system and a redundant baffle cannister/vacuum line, so I only had to remove the redundant system). Also, I cannot say that the Air Gap will fit under the stock hood. I have the 2 inch bump in my hood. However, just the regular Edelbrock Performer RPM should fit just fine under a stock hood. From everything that I've read, there is only a negligible difference in power in the Performer Air Gap over the Performer RPM.

I will say that there was a noticeable improvement in performance over the Torker II manifold.

I'm sure I left out a few details, but that is what I remember having to do.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 03:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

If your 327 is original it is the 210hp engine, it has the small valve heads(econo heads) it won’t handle much more of a carb, I have the same motor, before the rebuild I had an edlebrock performer and an edlebrock 600 com carb, it did okay, if you are planning on changing heads and cam wait and do it all at the same time
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Are you planning on rebuilding the engine soon? If yes, rebuild the 2 barrel and wait on buying a carb/intake until you are purchasing the other parts you need or even look at getting a kit like this for your 327: https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2098/10002/-1
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 18, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech

My Engine is a 327/210 HP 2 brl. Motor was "rebuilt" by P.O. Runs very quiet, no leaks (surprisingly). Doing a compression test before I do the carb swap. That always tells a lot. Vacuum holds steady at 19 at idle. If motor is as healthy as it appears I likely will do heads & cam later. Have a line on a pair of Double Humps. Cam would be more TQ, mid range vs a high RPM screamer. Will have to read up on 327/carb cams

The Edlebrock manifold & 600 cfm will work well and reliably now and handle better heads & cam later.

Like OP, not going to put time & $ into rebuilding/replacing the Rodchester (its been rebuilt before) and accelerator pump is dead now. Going 4 brl and a more reliable carb, electric choke
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 02:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Before my LS1 swap I had an Edelbrock Performer and a Quadrajet on mine. Definitely go Q-jet as stated. I spent a lot of timing messing with Holley's before I got a clue...

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 07:19 AM
Team Member
Darin

Edelbrock performer and a classic Holley 1850 600cfm. Ran great on my little 307 200hp nova when I was 15.
Along with some white Blackjack headers and yellow Accel wires from Pep-boys.

Was fun,until My OEM nylon faced timing chain setup let go.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Great info from Larger Dave!
here's another thought.
For now I'd pick up a swap meet Edelbrock performer ($50 or less) that will work with your current heads. If you do swap heads in the future, go Vortec for 327, but you'll need a compatible manifold. Whichever carb you choose will work for the entire plan.

I confess having a carb fetish. I've tried several different ones on the 327 just for experiments. I currently run, for the last 5 years or more, a Holley 450 Economaster(Holley licensed from Weber) on an old performer manifold. Why? because my car is a street/highway driven car, doesn't need more than 450 cfm and you get the added fun of a mechanical secondary- responsive and no bog. Good for a stick car that's not revving >5,500 rpm.

Qjet's work great but some people have a hard time getting their heads around them. Holley 600s are simple and easy to tune, have larger primaries, maybe feel faster at part throttle. my $.02.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 18, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

put this on with a performer intake and you will never look back
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stree...caAplpEALw_wcB

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode