Intake manifold - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Intake manifold

In 67, 68, or 69, did the small block ever come from the factory with an intake manifold with the long oil fill tube and a Holley carb? I ask because my 327 (not original to my 67) has an aftermarket intake manifold and Holley carb, and this intake does not have the long tube in front by the thermostat housing for adding oil. To make the engine look period correct, I went looking on Ebay for a intake manifold with this tube, but all I can find are ones with what appears to be a Rochester Quadrajet(?) setup. I'd rather not use a conversion/adapter plate to make my existing Holley work.

If this was not any option for a 327, did Chevy do this type of intake manifold (with the long oil tube) on a 350 perhaps, and with a Holley carb?

Or, was a different manifold used whenever a Holley carb came from the factory? Using different valve covers with an oil cap?

Or, am I totally off?

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Last edited by bucko; Dec 5th, 18 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Intake manifold

1968 was the last year an oil fill tube appeared on the small block Chevy. 1967 was the last year for the casting and machine work for the air oil separator in the lifter valley and a rear road draft tube that was converted to PCV in 1963 (1967 was also the last year for small journal mains and rods).

Edelbrock, Offenhauser and Weinand cast a flat spot on the front of the manifold for the purchaser to bore the hole for an oil fill tube if needed; and a lot of their older manifolds still have this flat spot. But to answer your question only the Z/28 302 came from the factory (Winters foundry casting) with an aluminum high rise manifold for a square bore Holley Carb.

Big Dave
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Would the Edelbrock 2703 work (it comes with the oil tube), meaning, does it accept a Holley carb?

It looks like the used 1967 intakes I see on Ebay for a 4 barrel have a much different 4 barrel setup; all 4 holes are the same size, and in a perfect "square" arrangement cast into the manifold. Is this for a "4-Jet carb? Would this need a special adapter to convert to a Holley?

The 1968 intakes have what I see as the Quadrajet carb setup; larger holes for the primaries, and smaller for the secondaries cast into the manifold.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Last edited by bucko; Dec 5th, 18 at 09:59 AM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Which Holley carb do you have? Most aftermarket intakes are drilled for both Holley AND Rochester Q-Jets.

There's no Edelbrock 2307, but there's a 2703, so I'm assuming you just have a typo. The 2703 will work with a Holley square bore carb if that's what you have, but it has no provision for a choke (which is why I asked which Holley you have).

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Would the Edelbrock 2307 work (it comes with the oil tube), meaning, does it accept a Holley carb?

It looks like the used 1967 intakes I see on Ebay for a 4 barrel have a much different 4 barrel setup; all 4 holes are the same size, and in a perfect "square" arrangement cast into the manifold. Is this for a "4-Jet carb? Would this need a special adapter to convert to a Holley?

The 1968 intakes have what I see as the Quadrajet carb setup; larger holes for the primaries, and smaller for the secondaries cast into the manifold.
Holley and Carter carburetors (Edelbrock) are called a Square Bore because there are four holes that are all the same size. The Rochester QuadraJet (and the Carter ThermoQuad) have a little primary and a huge secondary bore that because of the difference in bore size is not square but spread out. Hence they are called a Spread Bore.

The Holley also differs from a Carter in their bolt placement. Because of this many Carter carbs have eight mounting holes (to be competitive with Holley that had most of the market) and aftermarket manifolds could be bored and threaded for eight possible stud placements. Holley was the wider bolt hole but both differed from the Rochester 4G (C, M or V model) four barrel that had it's own mounting pattern and manifold dedicated just to this carb. THe Rochester 4G series and cast iron manifold is best used as a door stop in old junk yards (which is about the only place you will find them).

Big Dave
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 07:58 AM
Tech Team
Kelley

Someone correct me if I am wrong but in 66 one of the 327,s use a cast iron intake with the holley. Of course the choke most likely had the tube to the exhaust. I used to have one laying around. I remember seeing one on a 66 impala type car in the scrap yard years ago.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Yes, some mid 60's medium to high performance engines used cast iron intakes and Holley carbs. Special High performance engines used aluminum intakes and Holley carbs.

Ed

CRG -
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Typo for sure...2703 was what I was refering to. I have a 4160 Holley with a manual choke. Would this be a bolt on to that manifold (2703)?

Hmmm. If Edelbrock offered an intake with the tube oil filler neck, Did Holley offer one as well?

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Check Ebay item # 252500288531
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 02:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Was the oil fill tube present for the entire 68 model year? fuzzy memory issues again......

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech
bob

You could look for GM # 14044836 which was the late 80's re-cast of the LT1 high rise intake. They came with the oil fill tube opening and a dual plane.

Chevy also made a cast iron version (1980's), just not sure if it had the oil fill tube open or if the boss was cast into it.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorton7311 View Post
Check Ebay item # 252500288531
It is this intake that I ask if a Holley bolts to...will it?

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 08:33 PM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

I am swapping the intake on the 68RS Camaro to an Eldebrock C3B as I want to use the 3890490 GM intake on R66 Corvette.
The research I did indicates the 3890490 GM intake was used on all 350 hp / 327s and I believe 350s also. I am not sure about the intake for the 302 either the 67, 68, or 69. They all came with Holley 4160s.

Anyway, just for your info Tried to post a picture, but can't get it to work.

Ron
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 18, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Thanks!

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 18, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
The research I did indicates the 3890490 GM intake was used on all 350 hp / 327s and I believe 350s also.
This intake was used on the 1966 and 1967 Corvette, Nova and *Chevelle

Quote:
I am not sure about the intake for the 302 either the 67, 68, or 69. They all came with Holley 4160s
The Z28 used a 4150 Holley, not a 4160.

*327/350 for the 1966-1967 Corvette and Nova and 1966 Chevelle. The 1967 Chevelle was rated at 327/325.

Ed

CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode