Points ignition for 1967 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Points ignition for 1967

In a previous post, I mentioned I was removing the HEI distributor and installing a period correct OEM points distributor and coil.

Got it all installed, and prior to firing the engine, I used my volt/ohm meter to check everything up wiring wise at the coil. Here is what I found:

1) Ignition key off. No voltage at "+" of coil. This would be correct. No voltage at "-" of coil. This too assumed correct, as this is the ground to coil to make it charge/discharge.

2) Ignition key on (not cranking engine). 9 volts at "+" terminal at coil. This assumed to be correct, as it is getting voltage from the resistance wire from ignition switch. I see a ground at the "-" of coil terminal when meter is on ohms.

3) While cranking. voltage to the "+" terminal of coil jumps to 11.6 volts. Assumed normal, as the second wire at the "+" terminal of coil comes from the starter (post "S" I think), as coil gets 12 volts while cranking to aid it quick start (hotter spark). I see a ground at the "-" of coil terminal when meter is on ohms.

Here's what I'm questioning. On the "-" of the coil terminal, I see Open, then close (using Ohm setting of volt/ohm meter) when I open and close the points, and with both leads disconnected at the "+" side of the coil terminal. This is assumed normal in order to cause the coil to charge up and discharge (provides a ground, and open to the coil). However, when I connect the two leads to the "+" terminal of the coil, the "-" lead of the coil shows ground always, no matter if I open/close the points. So it seems I'm loosing that pulse from the points when they are opening and closing with the leads connected at the "+" coil terminal.

Is this normal? Perhaps the pulse is still there, and I'm overthinking this? I have not started the car yet (always had the center wire removed from the distributor during these tests. I do not have enough hands to crank the starter and hold the end of the coil wire to ground to see if I have a fat spark. Just asking if I should see the "open/close" indication at the "-" of the coil terminal (using the ohm meter setting) with the "+" terminal coil wires installed.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Points ignition for 1967

The coil has very low resistance. You are way overthinking this and on the wrong track imho. The AC impedance of a coil is much different than the DC resistance and is directly proportional to the frequency of the signal applied to it. Ignition circuits are AC, not DC...

Itís fine to use a DC ohmmeter for continuity checks but thatís where it ends.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Thanks. I guess I'm being over cautious. I recently worked on an Old Wheel Horse tractor with a magneto spark. After 6 hours of troubleshooting no spark, I found I had dirty point contacts; they never showed a direct continuity when closed.

On another note, what points and condenser are you guys using for the distributor? Right now there's a combined point/condenser setup. I don't like it because there is no way to gap the point initially, as the condenser blocks the point contacts. I have a dwell meter, but don't want to have to crank the engine with the starter in order to adjust the dwell. An initial gap will get it close enough to start.

I want to use a separate point and condenser, but all I can find is an Accel 8101 ACC kit. Is this one good enough?

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Check your points with an ohmmeter across the points. No need for anything more complex than that imho....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

ANY name brand, Standard, Neihoff, Delco, whatever brand you can find will likely work fine. You're making this a lot harder than it has to be. Spark happen when the points open. As long as they close and open, all you need to do is adjust the gap setting or the dwell.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech

OP

nothing wrong with being "period correct" on distributor....but a alternative is using a stock cap/rotor and install a Pertronix kit vs points/condenser. IMHO a more stable ignition vs points
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
ANY name brand, Standard, Neihoff, Delco, whatever brand you can find will likely work fine. You're making this a lot harder than it has to be. Spark happen when the points open. As long as they close and open, all you need to do is adjust the gap setting or the dwell.
Not overthinking. The current arrangement that is in the distributor when I bought it has a "combination points and condenser" arrangement. The capacitor covers the points. There is pitting on the points. There is no way to set a gap on this point/condenser setup using a feeler gauge, other than spinning the starter and use the window in the cap to set the dwell. Seems like a stupid arrangement for this combo set. I'd rather buy a separated point and condenser, thus allowing for an initial gap setting, then fine tuning with a dwell meter once running.

I will check with my local NAPA store.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode