Starting the DZ build... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 18, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Starting the DZ build...

Got the local shop which I am close friends with starting to build my DZ302. They balanced my std. 1178 crank to within .1 gram! My question at the moment is about the oil pan and windage tray...what are my options if I don't have original components? GM still has the tray available, but no longer makes the pan, either original or the later style. This is not a top flight build but am trying to duplicate the car out of the box as close as possible without breaking the bank. Thanx guys and gals!!!
360chris likes this.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 18, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: Starting the DZ build...

There are still some over the counter pans floating around out there. Don't believe any of the dealers will have one. I would not pay more than $250 for one of those.

The assembly line pans are really getting scarce. Last one I sold was dinged and dented pretty good, and I still got $450 for it. Expect to pay north of $600 for a good one.

Look here to tell the difference: https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...-oil-pans.html

Some moron (hope it isn't anyone on this site) is selling one of the over the counter pans on ebay with dents and dings, and is asking $1,000. Way over priced.
Yellow69RSZ likes this.

Lynn
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 18, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

These guys show the 5 quart pan being available but I would check.
Chevrolet Performance Engine Oil Pans - Ed Rinke Performance
Yellow69RSZ likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 06:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I just ordered one to have as a spare. Will let you know if I get a cancellation because it is out of stock.

Lynn
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Thanx for the leads!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 08:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

What cam are you going to run in the 302? Are you going with HP double hump heads or later model aluminum or something else?

I think some of the fun is maintaining original appearance with go-fast goodies added in.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
What cam are you going to run in the 302? Are you going with HP double hump heads or later model aluminum or something else?

I think some of the fun is maintaining original appearance with go-fast goodies added in.
I was going to ask the same thing! I just brought mine home from my builder and was curious myself. Intake too for that matter. I want to run a Victor Jr but am leaning towards the 472.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 11:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
I just ordered one to have as a spare. Will let you know if I get a cancellation because it is out of stock.
Order has been updated to: Refund.

Item is out of stock.

Oh well.

Lynn
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

If you have a 472 intake, I would run it, especially if you are running the original heads. No reason to use an aftermarket intake.

Recurve the distributor, use a B28 vac advance cam connected to manifold vac, and it will run fine.

As for the camshaft, I think Crane has a blue print version of the 30 30 cam back on the market, but not sure.

Jerry M uses a Comp Cams copy of the 30 30 that is really close, and he runs in the 10's with it. I have two extras if anyone is interested. Would sell for less than Summit or Jegs. Can get the part number for anyone who is interested. Send me a PM.

Lynn
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

What about the 140 off-road cam? finally put the 140 cam in my Z... wow.. shoudl have done that 4 cams ago LOL. & https://www.camaros.net/forums/18-en...-camshaft.html.

Mine has a hydraulic roller with roller rockers. It'll spin up to 7k in a moment, at which time I chicken out.
69Z28 likes this.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Using the Comp Cams Nitride cam # 12-000-5 with original heads and intake, going for the original look except for headers. He has had a few of these cars of his own and has built several 302's along the way.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Order has been updated to: Refund.

Item is out of stock.

Oh well.
Damn, I guess you called that 1 right!

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD

Al...keep us posted on how this cam works. I used the Crane Blueprint cam. It does what it says...4,000 - 7,000, but at an idle, it really is bad. Car runs way rough. It's a combination of timing and Holley tuning. Have not gotten my arms around that. Did all the JohnZ tuning, but still have issues. I think the cam makes the engine very fussy and particular in the tuning of it all. I will keep after it, but if you find thatthis CompCam is a good option, I may jump. Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

69 Z-28-Glacier Blue, X-77
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Will do Chuck, this cam is supposed to have similar characteristics to the original, wakes up around 3500 or so and revs to 8k plus with no problem which I have no reason to test it that high myself. It will run on the stand when he is done with it. I guess I have to work on my plan of action for the resto on the car.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 18, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02401.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	223553 Here is mine. While I have the original heads on the motor that's in the car now
I could have put 2K into them and still not get them to perform like the Trick Flows. I went with a Lunati VooDoo cam. I had a lot of NOS stuff for this that I used such as the pan and timing cover and balancer but my builder advised me not to use the NOS cam I have.
I am glad to see others building DZ's when so many say how un-street friendly they are.
I love running around town in 2nd at 4K
69Z28 and Yellow69RSZ like this.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode