Fuels lines and AN fittings - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Fuels lines and AN fittings

Does anyone here have any experience using AN fittings to go from their flared fuel line to the sending unit and pickup with a stock tank? I have installed subframe connectors which preclude the use of a standard fuel line (no crossover point) so I will be building/routing my own. I am thinking I will route entirely along the inboard side of the frame rail but the standard connection at the tank I believe is typically a combination of soft fuel line and clamps which I would prefer not to do. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 02:16 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Fuels lines and AN fittings

You could do a compression to pipe thread fitting at the tank, then go AN braided to rear frame, then to flared hard line along the sub-frame, back to braided line once you hit the engine bay ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

That was essentially what I was thinking of but you verbalized much better than I could. So I would cut off the end of the fuel feed where there is the raised lip and use a compression fitting there, then run up and over to frame, use AN to flared end as you say and just reverse that configuration at the engine? I think I like it as it also makes the hard line quite a bit easier to fit as well.

Does anyone have any issues with the fuel line running directly under the upper control arm bolts rather than on the other side of the frame? Heat from headers and exhaust maybe?

Thanks again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I think the intent of running fuel lines on the outside of the frame is to protect it from a broken driveshaft, clutch bellhousing failure etc. It is safer....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I think the intent of running fuel lines on the outside of the frame is to protect it from a broken driveshaft, clutch bellhousing failure etc. It is safer....

Don
That makes sense. I am just not clear on how to get the flexible line to the other side as it is now uninterrupted with frame frame. I'll have to put some brain power on this one as it is an unforeseen issue which I am going to have with the brake line as well.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 18, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
That makes sense. I am just not clear on how to get the flexible line to the other side as it is now uninterrupted with frame frame. I'll have to put some brain power on this one as it is an unforeseen issue which I am going to have with the brake line as well.
What subframe connectors did you install? Pretty sure you are not the first to tackle this. Forum is just a little slow this time of year.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 18, 04:59 AM
John

Garage

I believe you are over thinking this. As I understand it you are using the stock tank, sending unit and mechical fuel pump. This is a low pressure system that pulls fuel from the tank.

Compression fitting into the existing hard line over the rear axle. You could even slide the new flexible hose on and use a hose clamp. Follow to old routing inside the frame rail to the sub frame and fuel pump.

Trying to run outside of frame means crossing it twice. No need to imo.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 18, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
. Trying to run outside of frame means crossing it twice. No need to imo.
GM engineers did it the way they did for good reason. Outside the frame rail is safer....

Antecdotal evidence that it is safe is irrelevant imho. This is a numbers/probability of failure issue and one personís story of success is statistically insignificant....

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 18, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

To join tubing to AN, you can use a tube nut and sleeve. Slide the nut and sleeve on the steel line, then flare the line at 37 degree.
Personally, I wouldn't use braided or unbraided hose, from front to rear, it is bulky and it is still a rubber hose internally.

I would bend up metal line from front to rear. Like Vegas said slide some rubber hose on the line to join to the pump and tank. Or you can use tube nuts and some push on fittings.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...BoCR_cQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...RoCjAwQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-22006

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 18, 09:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Good Morning Mr. Tim,

One option that takes a little work is to install a through the frame rail fitting. You have to drill a hole through the frame rail or subframe connector. The fitting consists of a tube with two AN fittings on each side. The tube slides into the hole you drilled and two nuts hold it in place in each side of the frame rail.

https://www.ebay.com/i/362168883737?chn=ps

I did something similar with my emergency brake (parking brake) cables. I drilled a hole all the way through the frame rails. I welded a steel bushing inside the frame rail hole so the frame rail would not be weakened at the hole. In my case, I just ran the cable through the bushing. You would insert the through the frame rail fitting in the bushing.

If you own a pickup truck or another car with a full frame, crawl under it and look how the fuel lines are routed. It helped me to determine how to run my custom fuel lines. I looked under a 2002 Tundra and 2017 F-250 trucks. Since you now have subframe connectors, your car is similar to a full frame truck.

Patrick
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 18, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
Good Morning Mr. Tim,

One option that takes a little work is to install a through the frame rail fitting. You have to drill a hole through the frame rail or subframe connector. The fitting consists of a tube with two AN fittings on each side. The tube slides into the hole you drilled and two nuts hold it in place in each side of the frame rail.

https://www.ebay.com/i/362168883737?chn=ps

I did something similar with my emergency brake (parking brake) cables. I drilled a hole all the way through the frame rails. I welded a steel bushing inside the frame rail hole so the frame rail would not be weakened at the hole. In my case, I just ran the cable through the bushing. You would insert the through the frame rail fitting in the bushing.

If you own a pickup truck or another car with a full frame, crawl under it and look how the fuel lines are routed. It helped me to determine how to run my custom fuel lines. I looked under a 2002 Tundra and 2017 F-250 trucks. Since you now have subframe connectors, your car is similar to a full frame truck.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Sitting here stuffed and really enjoying my new laptop which allows me to watch Polar Express with my kids and work on the forum at the same time!

I really like the idea of the through rail fitting. Ultimately, I have to get to the outside of the rail as Don indicates for safety but would prefer not to to simply loop over the rail - doesn't seem very sano to me. The fitting which will allow a flex hose to flex hose to hard line seems ideal. Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode