69 dz302 identification - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
69 dz302 identification

Hello forum! I am brand new to the site this will be my first post. Recently the engine in my 69 z was pulled for a rebuild and I took the opportunity to snap some pictures of all the markings. I know the engine is not original to my car but it seems to check out for the most part. Block, crank, heads, intake and carb all have the correct numbers as far as I can tell from my quick research online. I have a few questions though, on the pad there is no VIN why would that be?

During the teardown I discovered it has been bored 40 over and has forged pistons, could it be that at some point the block was decked and someone just re stamped the DZ code and not the vin?

The exhaust manifolds are questionable, they appear to look the part but I had issues finding what the numbers should be online. The passenger side has a donut style gasket flange and the drivers side has the typical flat gasket. Any enlightenment on this would be appreciated.

It is worth noting that my car is a Van Nuys car, non X code and I only believe it to be a real Z I have no proof other than the leafs, rear end housing, standard interior, original 4 speed all being present. At least thats what the internet has told me is a good indicator.

and a few of the car for good measure

Last edited by Jbruce; Dec 31st, 18 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added photographs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Re: 69 dz302 identification

having a hard time with the photos sorry guys, ill get it figured out
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 02:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Welcome from Texas! You need 10 posts before you can post photos, but I think you can build your garage and put them in there and others can go see them. I think starting in 69 a lot of the VIN's got stamped near the oil filter, on the casting, so it is much harder to make out. You have to look very closely and adjust the direction of the light to make them out. I don't think they would have decked it, then re-stamp only part of what was originally on the deck.

Get 7 more posts then you can post up pics.

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Welcome from Texas! You need 10 posts before you can post photos, but I think you can build your garage and put them in there and others can go see them. I think starting in 69 a lot of the VIN's got stamped near the oil filter, on the casting, so it is much harder to make out. You have to look very closely and adjust the direction of the light to make them out. I don't think they would have decked it, then re-stamp only part of what was originally on the deck.

Get 7 more posts then you can post up pics.

Brett.....
Hey Brett thanks for the insight, ill take a look tomorrow for a vin down there. 6 more posts to go...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

okay i updated my garage with pictures and I think I finally figured it out, the last forum I was a part of it was easy to upload right in the reply no image hosting necessary.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 04:46 PM
Team Member
Doc

Exhaust manifolds are incorrect, no provision for smog tubes. Can you post a clearer picture of the DZ stamp? What is the casting date on the block?
Thanks, Doc.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
Exhaust manifolds are incorrect, no provision for smog tubes. Can you post a clearer picture of the DZ stamp? What is the casting date on the block?
Thanks, Doc.
thats the clearest picture i have at the moment the motor is at my friends shop, I cleaned up the pad so ill take one if i can make it over there tomorrow.
Where would i find the casting date on the block?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbruce View Post
thats the clearest picture i have at the moment the motor is at my friends shop, I cleaned up the pad so ill take one if i can make it over there tomorrow.
Where would i find the casting date on the block?
On the back side of the engine opposite side of where you had picture showing the GM casting number.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 06:53 AM
Retired
Jim

A good engine builder can deck the block and yet save the numbers at the same time if he knows what he is doing. If not requested, most builders will just let their machine go full length and that will erase the numbers on the pad.
Jbruce likes this.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

OKay so I went by the shop this morning and snapped a few more photos of the engine.

date and time codes

not sure what these are they were by the oil filter boss.

crank shaft I thought I had posted this but I think I only posted the other side.

better shot of the pad with the motor code, it doesn't look like its been decked or re stamped to me but what do i know.

and most exciting is the Vin stamp found by the Oil filter on the rough casting!!! Although it doesn't match my VIN
L512444 it might belong to someone on this site, is there a database to search of registered Z28s? Maybe this car is still around. N596457 is all i can make out there are a couple before the N but I can't tell what they are, what do you guys see?

@Danzo
@Brettallen59
@68camaroz28
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 01:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Looks like you found it! I think I see 596157.

Brett.....
Jbruce likes this.

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

You could post the block on the orphan list at CRG (Camaro research group) here: 1969 - Orphans Norwood vin assuming 124379N596157
Did you or someone run a sander or something across the pad area? Lightly cleaning with very fine steel wool and lacquer thinner works well. Kurt at CRG could do a search in their archives to see if they have any info pertaining to a Camaro with that vin.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
You could post the block on the orphan list at CRG (Camaro research group) here: 1969 - Orphans Norwood vin assuming 124379N596157
Did you or someone run a sander or something across the pad area? Lightly cleaning with very fine steel wool and lacquer thinner works well. Kurt at CRG could do a search in their archives to see if they have any info pertaining to a Camaro with that vin.
we used a scotch brite pad and thinner, are we sure that is a 615 not 645? there seems to be such a larger gap for it to be a 1 and not a 4. maybe my eyes deceive me but I think i see the upright of a 4
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

highlighted it maybe this will persuade
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Looks like a 1 to me. 124379N596157

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode